PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Afternoon, Nelis (3D), (3D)

Nelis
11-08-2003, 09:42 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2386/Sunny_Afternoon_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2386/Sunny_Afternoon.jpg)

Title: Sunny Afternoon, Nelis (3D)
Name:
Software:

Here is an project i have worked on and off for about 5 weeks. Most time went into the textures wich are half handpainted and half made of photo's.
I haven't used any reference photos, for building the scene.
The car is modeled specialy for this scene and it can also been seen in my other thread "loaded with boards".

please feel free to give comments and critics....

marcia
11-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Looks great! Imo, the version with the Coca Cola logo is stronger because it balances the composition and adds a bit of color to a largely monochromatic scene. The one without has too much blank dead space. This is really, really excellent. :applause:

Finkster
11-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Really lovely work there. Your lighting has worked out really well. I particularly like the way the shadow of the telephone wires is cast accross the wall of the building and the way it fades out. Any chance of letting us know what kind of lighting setups you used? Did you have a hard time compositing the tree photos or did they come from already prepared stock?
I think you definitley need the advertisement on the wall of the building, if not that, perhaps another window. With nothing there, it feels quite empty. Personally I would put an advertisement for some obscure carribean beer (http://www.caribbeer.com/brands/carib.jpg) instead of coca-cola (though of course it may not be a carribean scene). It might make the scene feel a little more exotic, perhaps.

Cheers.

leigh
11-09-2003, 12:49 AM
That is SUPERB lighting! When I looked at this image, that is the first thing that struck me - you have managed to capture the daylight so incredibly well. I'm a teeny bit confused though - is this using a front projection method? Because your wireframe image confuses me - the shadow, is that part of your texture projection??

I'm interested in how you did the tree shadow too - looks nice.

Also, I agree that the wall looks better with some colour on it, but I'm not sure that Coke is the right choice... this building looks like a house so it seems strange to have advertising on it. Perhaps you could have grafitti instead? Just an idea.

Love the Fiat 500 parked in the garage ;)

This is very cool work overall, I'm putting it on the front page.

modestmouse
11-09-2003, 12:54 AM
Beautiful!!!! Im almost there!, keep the coke sign off, it makes it more your own

Soulstorm
11-09-2003, 12:59 AM
about that shadow of the telephone wires; the shadow is supposed to fade and blur, not just fade. you can see that even as the bottom of the wall where the shadow is all faded, its still sharp

ilasolomon
11-09-2003, 01:07 AM
Make it Pepsi! ;)
That tree looks a low-res photo to me.
If I were you I would go for more blueish shadows.
I assume you used a GI solution, which renderer?

3DKnight
11-09-2003, 01:12 AM
amazing! my only gripe is that the roof tiles look so "clean" compared to the rest of the image, the wall is worn, and the road is damages, yet the roof tiles are prefect

Nelis
11-09-2003, 01:30 AM
thanks for the kind and constructive replies.....

marcia:
I agree with you, i like it with something on the wall better. what that should be is just a matter of personal taste i guess.

Finkster:
I used vray for the render and one normal spot and some vray fill lights to lighten up the ally and the garage... the tree's are from a stock cd and are composited. i still had a bit of trouble getting it right because of the size of the original plate (3000x3000 pixels trees are way smaller) so yeah i blurred them a little bit to get it work. still would have liked more high res trees....
thought about a beer ad or a french "supermarche or SuperU" sign with an arrow arround the corner or something... but couldnt find any on the web.

Leigh:
first of all thnx for the front page spot... never thought i would get there;)
i have put an screenshot of my scene for some explenations....
the trees are just planes with opacity maps that project the shadows in the precise place i needed them... quite simpel actually...

Soulstorm:
i used vray's area shadows so should be right. i think its kinda blurry on the ground, could be still to sharp but rendertimes are quite high... so il leave like this...

3DKnight:
hmmmm mabey your right, i have done some dirtying up of the roof tiles on garage, arg your right they are a bit too clean.... il think about it...

rest THNX

http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/explane.jpg

HenningK
I like it very much. Sunny and bright. I am stuck in Minneapolis where its not. I also think the version without the old Coke logo looks empty, like it needs something, so, yay to the coke.
love,hen

Guruabyss
Nelis,

Great work! The only thing I can see that’s wrong is I can tell that the tree in the foreground is the same in the background (I know nic picking) I guess just rotate it 180 and you're all set.

Cheers

halo
11-09-2003, 01:43 AM
nice...saw your post at chaotic as well :)

really i think the one thing that i can see (which isnt your fault) is how vray handles area light shadows...if you look at shadows in bright light they have what i can only describe as a reverse bokeh effects...they form shapes just like out of focus highlights and fade rather and spread rather than just spreading and fading consquently

another thing to me is the logo looks squashed horizontally and the colours perhaps look a little fake (green?) & reds fade heavily...

id say i prefer the 2nd one.

og_reborn
11-09-2003, 02:10 AM
That's a great image.
I'd say go without the logo...as far as composition goes, it's distracting. It's so central and contrasts the wall it's on so much that it steals the image. It seems like a coke commercial.
Hey, actually you should see if they wanna buy it off you:D

But yeah something there on the wall would be good, just keep in mind that whatever you put there is probably gonna be the first thing the viewer notices...do you really want it to be the coke logo?

Anyway, I love it.
:beer:

EdHarriss
11-09-2003, 02:10 AM
Nice work!
I really like the window/balcony.

The lighting, of course, looks great and I am impressed with the pavement texture. However, I think that the dirt/moss on the right edge of the street (just next to the sidewalk) needs something. Maybe some rocks or a few sticks. The edge (next to the moss) is a little to straight.

I like the idea of having a logo on the wall, but I would also suggest using a different logo. The lighting makes it look warm. Many people who create outdoor images don't tint the light right and end up with a "white" sun instead of a warm one.

Over all it is a very nice image.

P.S. What does that little sign next to the window say? :)

onscreen
11-09-2003, 02:11 AM
interesting pieceof work. Looks peaceful :applause:

mage111
11-09-2003, 02:14 AM
first off just wanna say how nice this scene looks

but reguarding the coke logo, i think it'd be nice to leave the logo off, and if you wanna put anything up, i think a draping flag of wherever that place is supposed to be would be a little more appropriate then graffiti.

i just think graffiti up where the coke logo is, would be too high for taggers to paint, unless they had a flat bed truck or a tall ladder ;-)

otherwise brilliant, good work :-)

tubby
11-09-2003, 02:18 AM
great work, i love composition, the only thing that bothers me are the two curbs(i think thats what they are) on the right. They contrast too much with the ground they lay on. the distinct line between them and the ground needs to be made less apparent. Awesome work, i just wanted to give you some constructive crits.:)

Slurry
11-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Great image.
The thing that struck me imediately was the duplicated tree. It really throws me off and lessens the impact of the rest of the work, which is very well done.
I would suggest using a different tree or at the very least, flipping it so it doesn't look cloned.

Good job!

~S

elnady
11-09-2003, 02:41 AM
Very nice:buttrock:
And So Real:scream:

FUG1T1VE
11-09-2003, 02:47 AM
wow great picture.. . Something I observed, while I was out taking reference pics for some buildings I was asked to model-was birds, nearly all of them had some sort of bird in the building, or you might even put them in the distance, Im not sure if Tubby was refering to those small pillar looking things on the right side, but they are a bit too shiny while the floor is dirty, one other thing is dead leaves, I think dead leaves would add more to the scene, these could be on the floor as well as on top of the building.
Great work :applause:

TheGreenGiant
11-09-2003, 03:15 AM
Hello there,

really nice renders. I prefer the one without corporate sponsorship. :D Ruins the mood, I reckon. :P Love that huge serpenty rock with the big crack.

my crits, that 2d bitmap of the tree is semi-bad. It sticks out like a sore thumb. You should try one without the tree (you can still have the shadow)

put some stuff on the shelves in the garage

that window out front? Maybe add a tad more detail? Stuff behind the glass?

.. What's the renderer? Superb lighting... wish Maya could do it with some measure of ease. Looks LWy.

Brutalpanda
11-09-2003, 03:34 AM
nice work

Side_FX
11-09-2003, 03:48 AM
No Coke unless you are trying to sell coke.:scream:
great textures and lighting.

rebo
11-09-2003, 04:35 AM
I prefer the coke version, it brings balance and a sense of time to the piece.

Brutalpanda
11-09-2003, 04:58 AM
i prefer the coke version

coz u put something interesting on your scene :beer:

CGTrader
11-09-2003, 05:09 AM
Hi,

first of all have to disagree with many comments: the illumination is not so good good: the street in the right is too dark, it looks very unnatural. The roof is very contrasing. The tree is low res 2d.
Lower left side part is very good and interesting. The car looks nice.

p.s. Why there is coca-cola mark on the wall? it ruins your good picture.

sixthe45
11-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Lighting is very good. :thumbsup:

Coke logo is a very fine addition.

Liked the overall colour balance.

Good work. :beer:

Digital Soap
11-09-2003, 06:46 AM
superb work :applause: I am currently working on a scene and all I lack is lighting and I am trying to learn how to light properly, could you post a screen capture of your lighting setup?

Salaadin
11-09-2003, 06:47 AM
welldone ,,the textures are amazing and neat ,,the whole atmosphere is really nice..

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cbutlerc
11-09-2003, 07:00 AM
This is a spectacular image, very realistic.
The only suggestion I have is to dirty up the roof tiles a bit.
They look too perfect and too clean, compared to the house.
The Coke logo does not bother me to much either.

Great Job!!!

Larry_g1s
11-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
Make it Pepsi! ;)

That's what I was thinking. lol

Fantastic job on the lighting, I gotta agree with Leigh, you captured the day light lighting perfectly. :buttrock:

Chaos Maximus
11-09-2003, 07:14 AM
hey, if you were here i would bow to you.

ive loved 3d for such a long time, i can usualy see it. and you totaly fooled me. Do archietectual stuff like that and the coustomer wont know if you built it yet or not :)

its really cool, good luck with everything (keep the logo on the wall, or keep somthing there, its cooler)

Ac0rN
11-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Great peace of work :thumbsup:

REZI-st
11-09-2003, 09:36 AM
very good work :beer: impressive :buttrock:

Youth
11-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Hello!

What a great work!!! :thumbsup: The textures are great and everythink is great!!!!!

I have 1 question: What software did you use for compositing? Photoshop? or a real composit prg. like Shake, Combustion?

Thanks in advance!
Bye

reznorblade
11-09-2003, 10:15 AM
It may be that your instinct tells you to inforce coke symbols inside a picture. Or maybe you have seen so much of the same droning condition. However think about how other people view your work, unless you advertise coke, why put coke in your work?

leekhangwei
11-09-2003, 10:17 AM
hai....nice work u got there...
i think the roof is just too clean and too organised..well this is just what is think how it should be like sine the will look a little dirty...;)

elhuppi
11-09-2003, 10:24 AM
First off, itīs great work! It has some really nice mediterranean charme to it. Thatīs what I like about it.
A lot of stuff has already been said, but there are still some things to mention, if youīre up to some constructive criticism.

1.the pillars to the right are way to clean in relation to the rest of the scene. Dirt it up a little and maybe add some grass growing out of a chink at the bottom of the pillars.The line between the cobbled road and the pavement is too straight.

2.The ivy(or whatever) at the corner of the front-building looks kinda flat and more like what it is - a textured ivy. I would suggest to give it more bump at lest or maybe some displacement.

3. the rooftops have already been mentioned to look too clean and perfect. But instead of just give them a more dirted texture you rather could bring more variation to the shingles by crack them up and have them laying slighly in dirfferent directions, I did an mediterranean roof myself a year ago. Maybe you wanna take a look at. Itīs not lookin real either but you get the idea of how a roof could be lookin worn.

my mediterranean rooftops(avi) (http://www.huppi.de/movies/colosseum_shot.avi)

Oh - and the roof of the garage has too small shingles in my opinion.

4.give the image some more dirt and grass in the corners, to achieve a more nature like feeling. Some areas still look too clean, and therefore the picture has this cg kinda feeling to it.
Unless you wanted it that way, in which case everything is fine.

But donīt get me wrong, itīs a very nice lookin picture and a very well crafted piece of cgi.

Cheers,

Alex

unwrap
11-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Got to agree and disagree with some comments.
Fist of all that is awesome texturing except for the front tree. It is obviously lowres 2D texture and I think it should be replaced with a 3D model.
The coca-cola texture looks fine to me, it completes the scene a little I think, that's good.
The illumination of the little street from the right is too low. The car is perfect and everything else is so.

:thumbsup:

Judas_Pilate
11-09-2003, 10:34 AM
I think you clicked NEW THREAD by accident (instead of REPLY)

mirainokirby
11-09-2003, 10:35 AM
absolutely amazing, one of the most photo-realistic things ever! :thumbsup:

DeathGoth
11-09-2003, 10:35 AM
really cool render i like this alot... the lighting on it is great... the coke sign kinda dont fit onto the scene tho in my opinion... cause it looks that there are no stores around so there shouldnt be a sign like that but its on you... I like what you did with the trees its looks good.. to a normal person they wouldnt be able to tell if they were real or fake...

But as said before you should add a blue'ish tint to the scene kinda like in real life.. but real cool scene i enjoyed looking at it..

noiser
11-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Hmm, I don't know if anyone else already has posted anything about this, due to my extremly slow 56.6 kb modem I don't have time to read every reply you got. Anyway, I thought a little about the shadows, so far I have never witnessed the phenomena that shadows gets larger than the object when the lightsource is far away, somehow you managed to make that in you scene. If you look at the wall, the shadow from the wire, it's twice the wires size, and to sharp too. Maybe you should blur it out more and make it thinner?

eddy-3ddy
11-09-2003, 11:25 AM
Ej nelis! You're work is great and rated well on the dutch community and here! Well done! :applause: :applause:

Nelis
11-09-2003, 11:29 AM
hmmm when i woke up this morning there were 3 pages of comments and critics.... waiting for me.

i have read them all and i have to say.. thnx for the very very constructive comments... i cant answer per person anymore cause i lost track of the replys...

ive redone certain things in my new image such as the little stones on the lower right image. bleuish shadows and dirtying up of the roofs... also flipped the tree in the back... just a couple of comments taken into the new picture.

there are alot of good comments but i think i will leave the image as it is here, because i have dozens of other personal projects i wanna lay my hands on...

al i can say is THNX ALOT:)

http://members.rott.chello.nl/d.sinke/Sunny_afternoon_sec.jpg

Ste-One
11-09-2003, 11:30 AM
I fell the long, hot summer.
I like it.

Raul3d
11-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Good job!!!:thumbsup:

mimo8
11-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Hugh P. Rich

my mediterranean rooftops(avi) (http://www.huppi.de/movies/colosseum_shot.avi)

wow what is that - a sceene out of gladiator?

William GUiLE
11-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Whoa! That's stunning! :eek:
One of the best lighting jobs I've ever seen.

cermit
11-09-2003, 03:45 PM
looks so real....amazing

dickma
11-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Can I have another painting on the wall rather than the coke logo? (what about a pic of me? hahaha!)

Yes, you need something on the wall, but the coke logo is too dominant you know.....it seems like it is a real ad for Coca-cola. the background objects are seems to be just addictives.

If you remove the logo, my first eye-slight will shift to the car in the left corner. it will become the main point of interest, but the placement of the car is bad and the composition is unbalance.

Tims0l
11-09-2003, 04:41 PM
way to go my fellow dutchman!!

this is one of the best lighted scene I ever saw!

and the crack in the asphalt is superb!!

recon
11-09-2003, 04:46 PM
I like this... the car loooks great in this scene (although whoever parked it must have been in a hurry).

OK, I don't think anyone has mentioned this and its really just a technicality.... for artistry's sake it may not matter, but it does bug me a little so I'll bring it up.

The placement of the "faked" shadows for the trees is off a bit.

Based on the shadows on the "coke" wall, the sun is to the left and slightly behind the viewer. But, the tree shadow on the roof is landing too far to the left, as if the sun was slightly to the right.
More so for the foreground tree, I think the shadows from it should almost reach the stone path. A simple test with stand-in 3d trees would help you place these more accurately.

-jm

Signum
11-09-2003, 05:42 PM
i have to say this is extremely nice work!

i just love the textures and the whole (spanish feel) style to it.
great work.

Nelis
11-09-2003, 06:25 PM
is this post ment for my thread??? (Scene: Sunny Afternoon by Nelis) cause i have one coke sign in my picture.....

if so my answer is why not putting a coke sign in the picture.... everybody has its on taste of what they like or not.. there could be something else on there but i did not. i followed my instinct and it telled me put something there i liked the coke sign(i like coca cola drink it every day i guess)... well enough of this tell me your thoughts then..... i wanna know....

Digital Backlot
11-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Nice digital set, great lighting. A+++

:buttrock:

nothing to crit.

jdsb
11-09-2003, 06:42 PM
superb lighting and wonderful modeling detail.everything works well.
i would love to see the car paint color as something that complements all the brilliant yellow in the scene as well as the lighting.
:applause: :applause:

dickma
11-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Nelis
is this post ment for my thread??? (Scene: Sunny Afternoon by Nelis) cause i have one coke sign in my picture.....

if so my answer is why not putting a coke sign in the picture.... everybody has its on taste of what they like or not.. there could be something else on there but i did not. i followed my instinct and it telled me put something there i liked the coke sign(i like coca cola drink it every day i guess)... well enough of this tell me your thoughts then..... i wanna know....

I don't understand what you are talking about. You post two pics in your thread and ask for comments and critics. You have answered yourself already, "the pic with coke" one. Then I think you just need to post that, rather than leading us to make comparisons. I have no question about you have put efforts in your creations. I don't think about you are lazy by just putting the coca-cola logo, at least you have make distortion on the logo to suit the wall. I just want to tell you that you can try other possibilities because that creation is yours, you can play with it.

leigh
11-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Dick Ma - actually that reply was posted in another thread. Someone hit the New Thread button instead of the Reply button, creating a new thread, and that was the artists reply. I then merged the two threads so it may seem a little confusing.

Nelis
11-09-2003, 07:28 PM
i dont wanna offend anybody

i did post two images that are open for critics.... and it was the meaning so you can compare them...

im not choosing one picture, i like em both(well with sign better) but i am still open for suggestions... so spray it... hehe i can rerender parts so..... could be anything up that wall

thnx and greets all

dickma
11-09-2003, 07:37 PM
OK, Leigh and Neils. Well, I am not offend anybody, just opinions, opinions and opinions.:)

zionlocke
11-09-2003, 08:30 PM
keep the coca cola image because then the scene reminds me of mexico. coca en bolsa is sold at nearly every corner there. Nice work! I wish you would have modeled the trees a little more. You are a great lighting artist!! :applause:

mlykke
11-09-2003, 09:12 PM
I think the image without the Coke logo is the best, it grabs too much attention.

Besides that... awesome.

sad
11-09-2003, 09:53 PM
i like the 2nd version more. well done!

Cyborgguineapig
11-10-2003, 12:07 AM
Sigh, this is truly amazing I just can't find anything to crit. Like Leigh says, you've really got the lighting on the dot. 5 stars from me buddy.

leigh
11-10-2003, 01:07 AM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

Great work!

phoenix
11-10-2003, 03:19 AM
cool work...but dont agree with the bumps on the pavement....and the way coke sign has been treated

Garma
11-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Hmm, I have to disagree with almost all crits.. sorry :/ The coke sign looks fine to me, somehow it fits very well there, makes the picture even more spanish (love span :love:). The lighting is superb. stunning that the tree's are 2D, very good job on those and their shadows. I'm glad that you fixed the pillars , that was my only crit :)

5 stars from me.

SergeAstahov
11-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Absolutely great. The lightning is real - the shadows are great - I like every single part of this image - and i'm also for the coke.

Wonderer
11-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Beautifull!:applause:

Noodlz
11-10-2003, 11:49 AM
wow, great work, looks very realistic! :drool:

MayaV
11-10-2003, 11:56 AM
hi

this is just too good to :thumbsup:

MayaV

Nelis
11-10-2003, 06:12 PM
thank you very much leigh.. and everybody else......

this is a very BIG compliment...

on to the next project....

DoLeeP
11-10-2003, 06:42 PM
wowwwww
I like ur work
good job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

charithmax
11-11-2003, 07:36 AM
wow! thats great man.:thumbsup:

i think the brightness and the color of the left side roof has to be adjusted a bit. but overall its superb.

more work plz:thumbsup:

Climax
11-14-2003, 03:12 AM
is amazing, i guess you can see better than I but is for sure it is a very beautifull job, would u tell wich softwares and rendering engine did u use for the whole, I also have curiosity about what is this job intended to be for. is it only a still or did u animate it?
Anyway u did great and much people like me expects to see more from your work

Keep doing this and don't let The Sheisse get in your head

Nelis
11-14-2003, 11:31 AM
its made with 3dmax 5.1 and rendered with vray renderer.

the work is intended to be a still... i could do an animation but i would have to get working at it. its modeled for a still so there are things missing.... also there was some exesive use of post production so would be hard to match what i got in the still...

thnx for the comments

greets niels

schumak
11-15-2003, 05:47 AM
Well, I like the lighting and all...but the car is from a tutorial I've seen before...Fiat 500 was it?

Nelis
11-15-2003, 10:35 PM
i have told that the car is modeled from the tutorial but that does not take away the fact that i modeled it myself instead of taking someone else his model.....

dont know if i mentioned it in this thread or in my other thread "Loaded with boards" that the car is modeled from a tutorial. if not here by i do tell it.. i dont think its that lame cause it still took some time to model it and i had a great time doing it....

hope you dont mind......

thnx for the comments.....

schumak
11-16-2003, 06:07 PM
Hey, it's good.

I remember a while back I couldn't keep up with such easy tutorial, haha. Anyways. You have good lighting and composition going on there. I still give you two thumbs up!

It's just I've seen that car in too many renderings (it's sort of getting old).

Nelis
08-31-2004, 08:09 AM
thnx everybody...............

its in expose2 so im an happy man..............

Stillwell
09-03-2004, 11:25 PM
thnx everybody...............

its in expose2 so im an happy man..............
Hey, congrats to you! You should be proud to be in Exposé. You deserved it, I remember seeing this piece a long time ago and I still like it.

etni3s
09-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Wow.... Wooow :eek:
Incredible work dude!
If I didn't know, I'd say it was a photo.

The only thing I think is a little wierd is the window on the wall. It looks a bit fake. I'm not sure what it is, but it's something with the color seen through it.

TonyWang
09-19-2004, 04:43 AM
There is the sunlight of show power it looks as if you like Japan and orjental cultural . But individual feels that the fog of green tea is too heavy , and is a bit not too true . Moreover read with respect you other pastes , very severe , esteems ! :) Hope to know you very much ! :thumbsup:

Ecleposs
09-19-2004, 12:45 PM
waow ....man..what can i say...its..awoesome man..
the day light i super perfect:thumbsup:
the textures are more than great..waow..
good jop
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Konyn
09-24-2004, 05:54 PM
I've found it,
very nice indeed!

The Witch King
09-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Great job.
The textures are very good. And the cracks look realistic.

Lexo
10-12-2004, 10:00 AM
much realistic ! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.