PDA

View Full Version : Where to find plugins for specific usage

telamon
11-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Hi, my first post in this forum

I'd like to reproduce Policarpo's post FX tip on DFX+ (see Link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67683&perpage=15&pagenumber=4) here).

He uses AE for this operation and the associated image filters.

I have tried his tip partly usign filters shipped with an eval version of AE :blush: works fine though I do not have the dry brush processing filter... I have uninstalled all the filters since...

Where can I find similar filters for DFX+?

Regards

zuzzabuzz
11-08-2003, 04:31 PM
good question. I've been following that thread too. I use photoshop to do that sort of stuff since I don't have AE. I tried to use the Command filter in DFX to run a droplet (macro) i'd made in Photoshop.

That didn't work like I hoped it would. It wound up launching the droplet for each frame..totally overwhelming Photoshop. I wanted to get some sort of pseudo-interactivity with the rest of my DFX flow. Oh well, I guess I need to do stuff in passes.

The DFX Krokodove (http://www.komkomdoorn.com/) plugins are super cool. I really enjoy the free ones. Since I'm a hobbyist, i can't really afford the other levels yet, but they have some 'painterly' effects and such at the higher levels. I'm sure a lot could be achieved with them to get closer to what policarpo et al are doing.

I'd be interested in any free AE plugins that I could use in DFX+ as well.

Kvaalen
11-08-2003, 08:34 PM
If you look under the filters directory (under Program Files/DFX Plus), you'll see that there are some filters called Pastel 3x3 and 5x5. I have no idea what they do nor how to apply them. :shrug:

BTW, how did you find the edges? I mean without the AE plugins.
I succeedes in doing it by applying the filter>filter tool and setting it to the before last or second before last option (sorry, I forgot their names :) ). The problem with them is that one makes the lines too thin, and the other makes the lines too thick. Changing the blend value doesn't help either (it causes other problems).

If you get some good resaults, please share. :thumbsup:

zuzzabuzz
11-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Pastel 3x3, etc look to be settings for the Custom Filter tool. You can select the tool, right click, and choose "Load Settings". I never quite mastered matrix filters. :shrug:

telamon
11-09-2003, 11:30 AM
Kvaalen, I have found an effect that detects the edge...

You add a filter and in the property pannel select "Sobel"

See Screenshot here (140ko) (http://telamon.nerim.net/Scratch/Crineshot-DFX.jpg)

Kvaalen
11-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by telamon
Kvaalen, I have found an effect that detects the edge...

You add a filter and in the property pannel select "Sobel"

See Screenshot here (140ko) (http://telamon.nerim.net/Scratch/Crineshot-DFX.jpg)

I know about that one, I even mentioned it in my last post (I had just forgotten the name). :)

My problem is that I think the lines are too thick. The next option (after "Sobel", I also forgot the name :p ) makes the lines too thin. :shrug:

telamon
11-09-2003, 02:25 PM
have you tried to apply parallely both filters and merge them using a difference-based merging ?

Hugh
11-09-2003, 05:01 PM
You could always use a dilate/erode on them to make the lines thiner/thicker...

I don't think Fusion has a specific node for this, but it's easy to fake - create a blur followed by a contrast. Whack the contrast up to 3.0 and adjust the brightness to modify whether it's a dilate or erode.

Also, due to something funny that happens when the contrast is pushed to over 3.0, I found it works better when there's another Brightness/Contrast node directly after with a contrast of 3.0 again. (this gives sharper edges...)

Jayk2k
11-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Fusion 4 has an erode/dialate node. Just use sobel (thick) and then erode away.

zuzzabuzz
11-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but
do the Posterize and Brush Strokes come with DF..or are they 3rd party?

telamon
11-10-2003, 10:44 PM
they were AE filters that I imported from the eval version of AE I had... Since, I do not have them anymore.

I think DFX can manage most of the AE filters but check before ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.