PDA

View Full Version : my VERY-FIRST model in 3d: human eye

philthesecond
10-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi there, i just modeled my very very fist object in a 3d software in 3ds max. cause the main thing I want to do is character animation, I thought it would be best, if I started directly with a head. so, please tell me, what you think of it and how I could improve the edgeloops since i am not satisfied yet at all.
I think Iam going to pimp the hole face in 3dcoat (+do textures there) and then retopo it, cause the polygon modeling alone doesnt make me happy :-(
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m578/phil_thesecond/preview.jpg

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m578/phil_thesecond/preview2.jpg

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m578/phil_thesecond/?action=view&current=preview.jpg

ezekiel66
12-02-2011, 10:48 AM
If you want to do character animation, why do you start by modeling a human head? Makes no sense to me. If you want to do character animation, DO it. There are plenty of completely rigged models floating around the internet that you can download for free and animate with.

Also, "pimping" the poly model in 3DCoat kind of seems to be double work load to me. You create a topology in Max, then discard it in 3DCoat by converting it to a voxel model, then do the topology again? Why not start the model in 3DCoat in the first place and then retopologize the voxel model? It's also much easier than to start your first modeling steps by trying to create a human head using the patch modeling method, one of the hardest things to do in modeling.

Apart from that the topology of your human eye looks OK to me, of course there isn't much to see yet.

rustEdge
12-19-2011, 06:26 AM
For a first-time organic model it's pretty good. I guess one or two extra edgeloops around the eyelids could help later when you need that creasing when the eye's fully open.

It's the eye just now, so I can't comment further. Just be aware that the segment count on your loops may change as you go around modeling the rest of the face so you could weld them with the other parts. Oh, and it would be nice if you could show the mesh from other angles as well. Y'know, as it may look good from the front but kinda weird from the side.

@ezekiel66:

IMO it's not a waste of time trying to model before animating. It would be a good idea to know the behind-the-scenes of dealing with 3d apps before jumping into character animation. That includes how meshes behave, how certain rig setups work, their limitations, etc. Plus, even if it's redundant, it'll show you all available options to you. Some people like doing low-cage meshes first, some like to do it right in 3DCoat/ZBrush.

Plus, knowing topology would also help you as an animator, as it can help you in fixing things. If you're doing it solo, there's no guarantee that you'll get animation-friendly models/rigs and you'll have to fix them yourself. If you're in a production team, it would be much easier to give feedback to your riggers/modelers to identify what features you might need.

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2011, 06:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.