PDA

View Full Version : Student Version of Messiah Studio: Available?

private
11-08-2003, 09:37 AM
I've always liked Newtek's student version pricing system. Is there something similar with Studio? If so, how much? If not, why not?

GCL
11-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Already received an answer from pmG. Only sell to educational Institutions ONLY and not to users. No explanation given except it's their policy. Would have been nice though !

:shrug:

somlor
11-09-2003, 07:01 AM
Yes, a fully-functional PLE for non-commerical purposes at a discount, such as what Kaydara is offering with MotionBuilder, would be very nice.

GCL
11-09-2003, 04:56 PM
I even suggested if there was a potential for price matching messiah:animate 4 (upgrade) like Kaydara's MotionBuilder 5 at $200. I already have project:messiah 1.57 plugin.
No Go @ pmG ! Oh well !
However, I do find the messiah:animate 4 more appealing and functional for me. Saving money for it but also waiting for LW8
features TBA (already bought it & DFX+ deal).

:curious:

DaveW
11-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by GCL
I even suggested if there was a potential for price matching messiah:animate 4 (upgrade) like Kaydara's MotionBuilder 5 at $200. I already have project:messiah 1.57 plugin.

If you have p:m 1.57 then you can upgrade to m:a for $249.

GCL
11-09-2003, 08:53 PM
If you have p:m 1.57 then you can upgrade to m:a for $249

Thanks, I know it's not a large cash outlay for it. Just for the sake of argument and the " retail " sense of price matching, I thought pmG could swing sales their way from Kaydara's.
I'm told for now the upgrade price in effect but could change.

SheepFactory
11-09-2003, 09:03 PM
I agree , PMG is gaining nothing by not offering student pricing.

I know many students that would purchase it if they offered a student pricing. Or like GCL said a 12 month PLE license like kaydara offered.

They own their huge userbase to the $100 PLE offer they did.

Sil3
11-09-2003, 10:00 PM
A PLE or EXP kind of Messiah would also be cool, diferent file format that only opened on it, save disabling demos are old school IMO.

gsuttor
11-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by GCL
Thanks, I know it's not a large cash outlay for it. Just for the sake of argument and the " retail " sense of price matching, I thought pmG could swing sales their way from Kaydara's.
I'm told for now the upgrade price in effect but could change.

Yes I think XSI should be priced matched to Animation Master, I mean, they are the same thing arn't they?

Read sarcasim. ;)

Really, c'mon, lets get to the real issue here, you all just want to pay the least you can for the software. I can understand that but the messiah prices are pretty Price compeditive already for what you get.

GCL
11-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Really, c'mon, lets get to the real issue here, you all just want to pay the least you can for the software. I can understand that but the messiah prices are pretty Price compeditive already for what you get

You're right ! It does not hurt a bit to check with vendors on any price adjustment that could bolster sales. As stated, will get it soon but also waiting with anticipation for LW8 features, ala
character motion, etc.

somlor
11-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by gsuttor
Yes I think XSI should be priced matched to Animation Master, I mean, they are the same thing arn't they?

Read sarcasim. ;)

Really, c'mon, lets get to the real issue here, you all just want to pay the least you can for the software. I can understand that but the messiah prices are pretty Price compeditive already for what you get.
XSI and many other packages, including MotionBuilder which is arguably Messiah's main competition, have EXP/PLE versions for non-commercial studies, which is the actual issue being discussed here.

gsuttor
11-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by somlor
XSI and many other packages, including MotionBuilder which is arguably Messiah's main competition, have EXP/PLE versions for non-commercial studies, which is the actual issue being discussed here.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

So what would you include in the PLE version, or more so, what whould you take out of the standard animate package to make it PLE?

I was thinking the demo is a PLE, but I cant say I've used it to know what the problem is with it.

Chewey
11-09-2003, 11:33 PM
I find motionbuilder and messiah quite different applications. pmG's toolset for custom rigging and its many extra animation tools make it very different from MB which seems to focus on motion capture for bipeds.

I got pretty good pricing on my messiah studio by getting on board early when they first offered the messiah plugin.

Maybe you should try to find someone who has an unregistered messiah 1.57 for sale at a good price and upgrade from there.

Gwot
11-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, I'd sooner have a fully enabled 30 day trial than a save-disabled, plugin-disabled version. MB currently offers a 90 day trial, and to my knowledge it is fully functional. This is plenty of time to learn the app and make a solid purchase decision. It especially sucks when Messiah is rather unstable on my work machine (no problems at home though - probably my fire gl card being picky again). Not being able to save means I have to redo the rig on my test character whenever it crashes or whenever I shut it down. That's not a very good way to test out software that you are considering for use in a production pipeline is it? The PLE for MB can also be used to create work for profit on a contract basis too. You just can't use it for studio work which is more than fair imo.

Personally I think the price for Messiah is more than adequate for students and pros alike. For the record I just don't like the crippled demo. =]

somlor
11-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by gsuttor
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

So what would you include in the PLE version, or more so, what whould you take out of the standard animate package to make it PLE?

I was thinking the demo is a PLE, but I cant say I've used it to know what the problem is with it.
Well I'm actually most interested in Messiah:Studio which doesn't even have a demo version. :( As for what should/shouldn't be disabled, well I'm not really sure but I will say that I love that MotionBuilder offers a fully functional PLE at $200 for non-commercial freelance work. The "studio" version of the same package is $995, and then they also have a "professional" version with even more features for $3595.

The way I see it, it's a win/win situation to offer something like this, for a million reasons. More software is sold, giving more money for R&D, etc. More work is created generating more exposure. The online community gets largers providing encouragement/support, more plugins/scripts, more word of mouth, and more widespread testing for bugs. And all of this increases the chances of talented artists "name dropping" messiah in studios that hire them, etc.

I definitely agree that Messiah is reasonably priced, but I also think that for students just wanting to learn the software or artists just getting their toes wet with small freelance projects a PLE along the lines of what MotionBuilder is offering is IMHO great marketing.

Julez4001
11-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Now I haven't played with the demo since I own 3 copies of messiah but does the demo allow u to link to a host. I could see why that would be a pause for save disable. pple could bake the deformation if it was a 30 day trial. Maybe they should offer a alternative format for saving like Maya:Animate but seriously messiah is nicely priced and I am sure a m:s is on the way but I rather them r & D new stuff than focus on demo stuff for m:s.
Demo really lets you feel the power and it ain't priced sky high like Maya. PMG is a very small company (3 ppl) and a few others so buy M:Animate ...do a search ont he yahoo list..sometime ppl lare selling their surplus copies for cheap. and if PMG do another sell, take advantage of it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.