PDA

View Full Version : Modeling in Houdini

kanishk2391
10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello Houdini peeps,
I am working as a modeling texturing artist.....
for almost all the modeling texturing work we at our studio use Maya....
We are thinking to shift our pipeline to houdini....
My question is whether houdini can be as good as maya when it comes to modeling...???
For the FX part we all are aware of the fact that houdini rocks.....but is it worth choosing Houdini for Modeling nd texturing??

Also if you guys can name some studios who use Houdini as their modeling texturing app....
thanks.

jcgizmo
10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Hi Kanish,
Sure you can model in Houdini, but the best approach for you and your studio depends on the style of models you forsee.
Real loosely, for CAD style - Maya is good; for organic static models - Zbrush; for complex, procedural or animating models - Houdini.
Certainly you can use any or all of the above and set up a process to import into Houdini and continue to tweak if necessary. This is not uncommon at all for facilities to work in this manner.

obiwandk
10-19-2011, 07:03 AM
jc how well will you say, Houdini handles organic modeling.
I know hard surface it handles good. But i am thinking on humans and animals.

-Sai-
10-20-2011, 08:34 AM
What JC said.I personally think stuff like city ,big environment landscape or situation where you need to fill a big shot with a lot of procedural/repetitive models sure ! I wouldn't be counting Houdini for organic/3d character(highly detailed or art directed).
You can surely model dragon with 6 heads in houdini but would you want to do it? zbrush/ mudbox with right person can do it quick and efficient.Houdini has a variety and easy way to import models and animated obj . :beer:

obiwandk
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
OK thanks sai.
Have some plans on a future whit Houdini.
But yeah is gonna look into blender. as a cheap modeling, texture aplication.
Then over to houdini. and finish and physics.

jcgizmo
10-20-2011, 03:34 PM
jc how well will you say, Houdini handles organic modeling.
I know hard surface it handles good. But i am thinking on humans and animals.

I suggested Zbrush for static organic modeling (heads, humans, animatls, tree trunks, etc.). I call them static, because the base model is static even though it is moved through rigs and rig capture.

But some cool organic modeling can be done with Houdini using procedurals. There are nice examples in sidefx and odforce galleries of cactus, jellyfish, starfish, greeble, and other nondescript decoration that I would call "organic". And of course you can take a static model into Houdini and continue to enhance your model using the procedural tools such as running fractal, peak, scattering small detail over the surface, etc. Or simply cleaning data in Houdini - which I would call modeling, but just not the sexy kind. Houdini is good at this grunt work and usually very easy to reapply should your model change.

obiwandk
10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Problem is i am poor, but my plans is great :)
So i cant at the moment afford z brush.
Been testing blender /houdini aprentice, most of the day.
I would rather focus on getting houdini, if blender can do the job.

-Sai-
10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Problem is i am poor, but my plans is great :)
So i cant at the moment afford z brush.
Been testing blender /houdini aprentice, most of the day.
I would rather focus on getting houdini, if blender can do the job.

Did you check http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/
Being a 3d modeler before jumped into effect animator,I will recommend you invest on good human and animal anatomy book and practice your observation skills(ie positive/negative shape.scale sense).
just remember it takes a lot of works to get good at any given area of cg.

Tolling87
10-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Hi kanishk2391

I'm both a Maya and Houdini user. I use Maya for modeling, and Houdini for most of the other things. The reason that i use Maya for modeling is only because that i have an extremely good float on the modeling section in maya. I'm so used to the bottons and the shortcuts that it takes me extremely fast to get a model the way i want it. So i don't want to spend to much time to learn it all over again. But i Do know the basics in Houdini as well.

Like others have mentioned, if you are going to make humans and other life forms Maya is great because of the good integration between Mudbox and ZBrush (for sculpting). Mudbox and ZBrush wants OBJ.files to work with in most cases, and Houdini supports that very well, so no problem.

If you're Not going to use both program you might want to lean towards Houdini because it does not crash as often as Maya (in my experience). Autodesk does not fix bugs when there comes newer and newer versions of Maya (well they try but can't, not all of them anyways).
Using Houdini will save you alot of time, if you don't have a technical team that fixes bugs straight away.

Now, to the Cool part.
I saw an interview with one of the teamleaders of them who made most of the effects in the Harry Potter movies. And he said in that interview that they used Maya before. And just for testing production speed, and other limits the Team tried to use Houdini for a month. And after the month, the entire Team refused to go back to Maya. And now we can see they're work on the movies.

Hoped this helped you to see advantages and disadvantages for both programs.

Thomas

obiwandk
10-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the advices, but what got me interested in houdini.
Is that it have, the aprentice hd program.
Just the right price for a good program, for a hobbyist like me.
But i am gonna make a wip post soon.

-Sai-
10-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Hi kanishk2391

Now, to the Cool part.
I saw an interview with one of the teamleaders of them who made most of the effects in the Harry Potter movies. And he said in that interview that they used Maya before. And just for testing production speed, and other limits the Team tried to use Houdini for a month. And after the month, the entire Team refused to go back to Maya. And now we can see they're work on the movies.

Hoped this helped you to see advantages and disadvantages for both programs.

Thomas

Would love to check that interview if it's floating around somewhere.

Speaking as a former Maya generalist and took me a while to get my head around Houdini ,
I think Houdini and node based knowledge is still one of the most under-documented(i know it's changing with all the learning videos) and misunderstood concept for most of the cg population but i think it's catching on as cg become mature and expectations are more defined for mainstream vfx everywhere.

Think ICE in softimage,Thinking particles and the whole army of plugins in Max(can someone give me a estimate of how much you will have to spend to get it going) to emulate just the particles and volume side and Maya slowly rolling out node based in recent release.Not to mention Foundry Katana,Naiad and the rest of the very specialized node based program for different step of the pipeline which make a lot sense seeing the flow of what the hell happening under the hood as all the different data and asset passing through the pipeline.

The juice is that you get this basic block of nodes that become a plugins if you will and junior and senior TD a like can refine and advance as the production goes on while never have to afraid of loosing track or breaking the core.branching out same data to different nodes and you have a lot of rooms to explore if the time is permit.
opps.I got a little side-tracked but i think this is one of the view that you don't see when you just look at houdini from outside view.Don't get me wrong , in the end it's all tool and we all have seen amazing stuffs from different softwawre package so go make some cool art now! :beer:

Alekzsander
10-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Hi, first i worked in MAX but with the time i discovered Blender .

. I think this is the best it can happened to me . you can do all what you want
Model , texture, retopo, compo, particles etc :) .

Here a model a work time ago using Blender Sculpt

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/carlos_tetris/1avatar-1.jpg

I Think you can change pipeline using Blender And Blender has a very good Particles System.

take a look

http://blenderdiplom.com/index.php/en/tutorials

and all for free . hope it help

obiwandk
10-23-2011, 05:50 AM
yeah blender is great but i just love houdini but i use blender for some stuff

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2011, 05:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.