PDA

View Full Version : Remap Node Maya help!

FarleyC
10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I am trying to add a numeric based stretch to a rigging system I am developing. I'm trying to use the distance away of an object to buffer the strength of all three rotational axis. It has to be a math based solution so an SDK system is useless. Any thoughts? Been playing with the node for a day, looked up tutorials and asked at local meetings, :banghead: and I only have a quarter of a clue. Thanks in advance.

Example of the system would work like so:

The object rotates the joint by %100 when it is on top of it and %0 when its at a distance of 10. The object should control all three rotational axis of the joint. Thoughts???

Gnimmel
10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
If I understand your question, you want a objects rotation to control the rotation of a joint, but if the control object moves away from the joint the rotation effect gets less?

You could achive this with a multiplyDivide node connecting the rotation attributes. It will need to be multiplied by the distance, but changed to get the effect you want.

Use a distanceBetween node to messure the distance. You could connect that to 2 locators because in the locators shape node there is a world position attribute meaning they don't have to be in world space to get the correct distance.

Add a extra attribute to one of the objects and connect it to the distance with a SDK so that when the distance is 10, the attribute is at 0 and when the distance is 0 the attribute is 1. You can now connect this attribute to the multiplyDivide node to multiply the rotation values so that when your object is at a distance of 10 you will be multiplying the rotation values by 0. When your object is at a distance of 0, you will be multiplying the rotation by 1, so it follows exactly.

I hope that makes sense and is the sort of solution you are looking for.

Richard

FarleyC
10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks Grimmel,

This is a great solution! I guess I was more concerned with wrapping my head around how the Remap node works in character rigging (mostly for being able to make an animatable constraint on limits with blending in the same node). Other then not helping me get a hold of that aspect this will be perfect. I hate losing sight on what the goal is being in search of tool. Once again much thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.