PDA

View Full Version : Sniper, Stephan.s (2D)

stephan.s
11-08-2003, 01:41 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/57186/arab_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/57186/arab.jpg)

Hi, I'm new to this board. Here is something I finished quite a while ago. There is still something bothering me with the BG but I don't really know how to fix it. So if you have some critique or other comments, they are very much appreciated. =)

Demie-Lune
11-08-2003, 03:19 AM
Awesome pix ! :thumbsup:

Now that you point at the background, the only thing I see is... hum... it's very "rectilinear".

I never been to that part of the world, so I actuly have no idea if the street are align or not... but to me, it looks like a very contemporary urban shape... and since those looking cities are very old... I find it "not fitting"... but I'm maybe wrong on that... :hmm:

smfjersey
11-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Simply awesome. Buildings are not close enough together. Too clean and not enough chaos.
-Great Job!

Franz
11-08-2003, 03:30 AM
Well Stephan Ive seen this picture quite a while ago but its
still one of my favourits. Dont have to mention the great lighting
job you did there. :thumbsup:

sirgreensock
11-08-2003, 03:49 AM
I think the only problem with the background is that the building he's in is so much taller than any building around it. Some of those buildings are about 3-4 stories tall, and yet he's looking right down on their roofs. Unless he's inside some sort of tower, there should be other buildings of similar height nearby IMO.

Other than that, great piece! :)

Goro
11-08-2003, 05:26 AM
This is amazing! Your lighting skills are impressive!
:buttrock:

R
11-08-2003, 06:01 AM
very good work

welcome aboard

ACFred
11-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Looking good. I like the concept and the pose.

His right hand seems to be at too much of an angle, as if he's grabbing something that tapers quite a bit. It should look more like the straight nature of the gun neck.

Based on the light & shadows on the left hand side of the picture, the light coming through the railing seems off. I think their should be less light coming through them but at more of an angle because it seems the light is coming more from the right in the image.

The background is a inconsistent. I'd like to see the entire background done in a rough fashion much like you did with the left side of the background. Having buildings that have sharp focus takes away from what I think is the most important part of the piece -- the sniper. Of course, maybe you wanted the focus to be on both.

Very interesting piece and a solid subject matter from an angle we don't see too often.

Good stuff! Let's see more.

Alec

Propictales
11-08-2003, 05:38 PM
I just wanted to say, that I like this picture very much.
I think such a big city would have more modern buildings or at least antennas and stuff. Perhaps some scrapers in the distance would give an impression of that.

Darklord101
11-09-2003, 04:30 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Fantastic work.

Pi3141
11-09-2003, 08:22 PM
This is awesome!... Love the color balance , and atmosphere this artwork has. You've got an awesome style...:buttrock:

leigh
11-09-2003, 08:31 PM
This is a great image. You've really captured the hazy afternoon sun and atmosphere so well - I can almost feel exactly how that guy feels sitting up there in the dry heat.

I can't really add much to the crits that have already been given, except that his hand that is gripping the gun almost appears to have 6 fingers ;)

I'm plugging this on the front page. I hope that people do not take any political offense to the nature of this piece.

ChrisNix
11-09-2003, 08:59 PM
yo stephan! geiles bild, aber das hatte ich dir damals glaub ich schon bei digitaldecoy.de gesagt... :) schon fertig mit der german filmschool?
immer schön so weitermachen, dann bist du bald schon ein kleiner craig... :)

Bingo Little
11-09-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm glad my first post here will be in the thread of so great (even if a bit awkwardly-timed :)) an image!

I'd like to add just a few minor criticisms.

1. As already said, lighting. I'd extend and shift to the left the shadows casted by the balcony railing. Not only will it fit the general illumination setting much better, but also will add the notion of prolonged waiting in the image.

2. Background light colour. Judging by the shadows casted, we have a mid- to late-afternoon sun here. Your sunlight spectrum corresponds to mid-day -- bright yellow going to white. Adding red tint to the sunlight will give it a more believable appearance (the eye seeks the red tint instinctively when perceives such shadows). Also, in these parts of the world any presence of clouds -- usually dist clouds -- additionally shifts the light towards red. I think that is what bothers you with the BG.

3. A minor, yet eye-catching omission. Come on man, you've spent so much time and you decided to skip the wall bricks beneath the cracked mud (or whatever the wall cover may be :))

4. Technical details:
*You've made the Dragunov sniper rifle waaay too big (or the guy waaaaay too small :))
*The Persian (and generally Oriental) carpets of this particular design are much bigger (at least 3.6x2.5 m.) I'm sure you won't bother repainting the carpet (I personally wouldn't) but for the next time you may be better off if you make the detail bigger for this size.
*A sniper will never ever use such a firing position :) It is too exposed and particulalry obvious to anyone in the street. In such situations the most preferable positions are well inside the room, usually on a table or sofa so that the sniper has a good view of the street and yet is concealed from prying eyes outside.

And, again if I failed to do so, I'd like to say it's a bl*%#y great image, great atmosphere and emotion!

Bingo Little

lazzhar
11-09-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
This is a great image. ..

... I hope that people do not take any political offense to the nature of this piece.

The drawing is very well done, beside what the others said, every thing is nice. especialy the lighting.
But as Leigh said, I'm afraid it's giving a bad thought, and what we are always seeing about the relationsgip between the character that is certainly muslim and the violence. I know that this forum is frequented by profesionals and intelectuels, but I just wanted to make this note.

Emre
11-09-2003, 10:07 PM
Good work!

is it a "kanas" he's holding?
it looks like but too big.

bye

Salaadin
11-09-2003, 10:09 PM
really really unique and creative and diffrent from most of the posts we see here ,, well done man ,,great work and keep it up

:thumbsup:

Diffused
11-09-2003, 10:12 PM
Wow. beutiful picture. Yes-> you should make some streets non linear ( going across instead of straight) maybe add even a circlular kind of street. Lighting to me is great. maybe even darken the inside of the room a tad bit?
Add a few NATO trucks? just kidding! :rolleyes:

Goro
11-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Stephan! You made it! Just as I said!

Waiting for more!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jarah
11-09-2003, 11:49 PM
Magnificent .... i'm dazzled man ... u r craft in blending colors & lightening is superb ....

do u have more works like this ... i would love to see more

Good for u

TWooster
11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
This is some great work. I pretty much echo the sentiments found here for the quality of the lighting and the feel of the scene.

What this piece needs is the question:

* Definitely remove some detail from the tall building outside.
* Add more people outside the window. It's absolutely stark empty out there except for the few guys by the convoy. There'd be people running or something in the streets to get away, perhaps.
* Add some cars (deserted, maybe without wheels, these types of things).
* Add some awnings and storefronts that have the food lying out but no people.

Basically, add life to the scene. The streets need some more things, clutter. Maybe add some definition to well worn roads, etc. Pave something, only to have it drop off...

The convoy and the few people near it don't add nearly dynamicism.

Anyway, cheers, awesome,

-Tony

leigh
11-10-2003, 01:07 AM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

Great work!

grafi
11-10-2003, 01:17 AM
I really like it, maybe the thing about the backround is that its kinda bright, because i was kinda noticing that it distracts you from the town a little, just how much brightness there is.

flaagan
11-10-2003, 02:02 AM
absolutely awesome.
Immediately thought of Jarmen Kell from C&C Generals.
Cant think of anything to add or comment on that hasnt already been said, but just wanted to give my support on seeing more quality art! :applause:

Larrikin
11-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Stephan,
Great illustration! You mentioned there might be something wrong with the background. Maybe try making the shadows darker.

vecdran
11-10-2003, 03:14 AM
Very nice, I like the details on the close up objects. Well done on the Dragunov too :)

Only problem, as mentioned previously, is the background is a bit start and bare.

phoenix
11-10-2003, 03:18 AM
excellent work man

BrandonD
11-10-2003, 04:41 AM
Man, that Dragunov's huge!

Flog
11-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Looks political to me, I had thoughts at first, but you know what it can be all kinds of things!! He's an assassin in Egypt or something. It's art!!!!

I think though someone said the background is to clean
well it is a little to clean. Maybe a dirty up and an idea what his target is.

this is a great peice though, it is front page material. Hope no one is offended or thinks bad of this. It is art!!!:thumbsdow :wavey: :applause:

safakoner
11-10-2003, 08:15 AM
super :applause:

Neox
11-10-2003, 08:26 AM
great as usual but show us some _new_ pictures :D

heavyness
11-10-2003, 09:06 AM
first off, great pic. love the style and colors.

"There is still something bothering me with the BG but I don't really know how to fix it."

the one thing that hit me about the background that hasn't been said yet is it doesn't seem parallel with the floor he's on. if you look at the floor he is on and the ground outside, it looks to me that the horizon line should be lower to match planes.

that’s just me thoughts.

Wonderer
11-10-2003, 11:37 AM
Great pic! No crits from me.:thumbsup:

Noodlz
11-10-2003, 11:52 AM
the face could be a little more enhanced and detailed, but otherwise a fine job!

Fred Heys
11-10-2003, 12:56 PM
This is good work man, i lived in the middle east(oman) for a few years,Yeah i think you nailed the style and feeling,as for the background i think there should be more randomness and the buildings closer together, maybe other objects like ripped up billboards or telephone cables...keep it up....

Kel Solaar
11-10-2003, 01:46 PM
I like the atmosphere a lot! well painted!

zionlocke
11-10-2003, 01:52 PM
the background should have more broken down buildings. the sharp/clean shapes of the buildings do not truly represent the older cities of the Middle East. Nice use of lighting. I would have put more detail into the man's face, but that is just me. way to go! :applause:

Wongedan
11-10-2003, 02:26 PM
more... more!!!

giv us some different angle, and different character..

:buttrock:

Terro
11-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Very Very nice. I don't see why you have a problem with the background, I think it fits in perfect. IMO the spaces between the buildings are just large enough and create a nice effect of all sides pointing twords the middle.

Very nice work , hope to see more of your skill in the future.

cuse
11-10-2003, 03:13 PM
very cool, 2 things which have already been pointed out... his left hand looks like it has two pinkies. The other building are incredibly low compared to the snipers 30th floor view?!

:scream:

cuse

DoLeeP
11-10-2003, 06:46 PM
1910 sniper

siftingsand
11-10-2003, 09:17 PM
really nice work.. very impressed, great colors and shadows

charithmax
11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
superb work! great color scheme, i like it man

keep the good work going!:thumbsup:

e201286
03-27-2004, 05:14 PM
the only thing that i could criticize about the back ground is that maybe u should try to highlight the horizon line a bit more. however the effect that uve given it:by blending the sky and the ground is quite cool
dont worry about the altitude of the building he's in... the dude's a sniper, he's gotta shoot from high ground:buttrock: :D :thumbsup:

blinxpro
03-29-2004, 02:13 PM
would love to see animated with that look

puppetmaestro
03-29-2004, 08:08 PM
I think you need to add a point of interest in the background. some indication of where the target is would be best.

Right now, the accent is on the sniper, who is way off centre in the picture.

Naturally, people will start looking for the "other end" and find nothing there. So I think you need to have something in the background, rather than it just being a decor for the whole scene.

but, hey, great work dude.

keef
04-26-2004, 08:30 PM
The "light"in this image has a truly amazing quality - most especially on the left wall, above the snipers head and also how it burns out the horizon - absolutely fantastic (I'll be looking out for ALL of your future work.....).

good luck buddy

Keith

Michael Chen
04-26-2004, 11:44 PM
I love the casting of the shadow on the person's face.

I think the background looks fine :)

sam4grafix
11-25-2004, 01:01 PM
YO MAN!!! its very good:twisted:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.