PDA

View Full Version : maya fur "noise" different on linux vs. windows?

andyG3D
10-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever run into this issue. Basically, I'm working on developing a fur look for a character. In the process we've found that when we submit the render to our farm, which is running linux nodes, the Noise attribute that can be applied to a fur attribute (in the Details section) is interpreted differently than on our windows based Maya workstations.

Is it possible that the Linux and Windows versions of Maya interpret this noise differently? Is that a bug? We've tried working around this by applying our own noise to the fur (texture based), and this achieves the cross-platform consistency - but it doesn't quite produce the same result as the original built in fur noise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

berniebernie
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
It's not the first time I've heard that, but I can't for the life of me find out where ? Perhaps on the High End mailing list ?

Anyhow, wouldn't a texture bake get rid of this nuisance ?

andyG3D
10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Hey thanks for the tip. I did do some web searches, but I haven't tried a search on their site yet. I'll check it out.

No, unfortunately baking doesn't resolve it as the noise in the "Details" section is applied on top of whatever map or setting you have on the attribute.

I guess we could just render everything on the farm, but we were hoping to utilize some of the Windows workstations in the render pool as some are really fast machines. :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.