PDA

View Full Version : The server is too busy at the moment!!!

InKraBid
10-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I have to complain a little now, Im getting this message EVERY time I click something in here.
Time to expand on the serverside, CGS. Am I the only one getting this? Answer in the poll.

darthviper107
10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I get that probably a quarter of the time I'm on here, are the servers really that bad?

Lars3D
10-11-2011, 09:18 PM
When I hit the submit button for the poll it gave me this "The server is too busy at the moment. Please count 30 seconds then refresh - do not hit refresh continually."

plastic
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I immediately hit refresh and it always works then. Looks more like a bug than real server overload.

aeres
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I usually only get this during late nights or early morning, when most of the western world is awake.

Otherwise my daytime browsing is seldom affected.

ThE_JacO
10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I immediately hit refresh and it always works then. Looks more like a bug than real server overload.
Which is exactly what you shouldn't do to give the server some room to breath. And since so many people do it, these super-short outages last more than the handful of seconds they should, more people therefore get them, and the cycle perpetuates itself.

No, it really isn't a bug, it's just certain times of the day when Europe and the States hammer the site at the same time the number of hits are enormous.
The servers aren't some cheapo, basement dwelling student managed thing as far as I know, just the bulleting board CGS is run on is old-ish and seriously customised, and it can get unwieldy at times. I'm not sure it'd be a trivial problem to solve for Balistic.

Being in Oz, timelines and all, I hardly ever get the message at all.

As for the topic, valid concerns and all, but it should be in the forum support forums, not in GD :)
The poll also assumes it's like that for everyone, and it misses the "I don't get the message that often" option ;)

Michael5188
10-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I've actually been meaning to post on the support forum. I've noticed recently (past two weeks or so) I've gotten it an unusual amount of times. Haven't noticed if it is during a certain time or not, just that there are moments when over three clicks lead me to that page.

It's never been horrible annoying, mostly it pops up and motivates me to go back to work and stop browsing :) So perhaps it shouldn't be fixed?

lucpet
10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
Patience my arse I just hit reload until it does (Don't tell me, I know boats)

Charkins
10-12-2011, 12:44 AM
You're missing an option:

Pound F5 as fast as you can until it finally works.

Artbot
10-12-2011, 12:54 AM
This is a very oddly worded poll. Why would anyone stare at the screen for 30 seconds while waiting? They are either going to hit "reload" or go to another page.

Unless people can give you accurate estimates as to what percentage of time they get the "too busy" page and where they are logged in from, the question is kind of useless.

ThE_JacO
10-12-2011, 02:06 AM
I agree it is oddly worded. I interpreted it as meaning "does it push you away from the site and you go elsewhere for it, or you put up with it and keep trying?".

Maybe I'm just trying to make sense of it and it makes none, but the above is close enough and would be a more pertinent question.

The poll I think is just meant to be provocative more than statistically relevant in any way.

Keenly
10-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks for sticking with us everyone (specifically 37.5% of you). we are looking at the server issues and should have things running smoothly very soon.

Thanks again.

archaeotect
10-12-2011, 07:33 AM
I get this far too often. In all my internet-addicted days I have never used a site whose servers are so not up to the task. Mostly I have several threads open in different tabs, so I just move to the next one and refresh a little later.

What is really irritating about this, is that I get "servers too busy" while the annoying red bar on top with the sliding thumbnails slowly builds up and I'm sitting there knowing that each of these has more kb than the text of the thread I'm actually trying to read. Would a reversal of priorities be possible? So that the top only loads after the main content has been generated?
I'm not complaining about the ads which you need to generate income. But IMHO the last redesign of the site just added bells and whistles, which is something to avoid when your servers are already overstrained.

archaeotect
10-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Just to clarify: I'm not talking about a temporary or recent situtation. I got these messages since I joined, and perceived an increase since the re-design (though that might be subjective and I may be wrong on this account).

InKraBid
10-12-2011, 07:44 AM
I agree it is oddly worded. I interpreted it as meaning "does it push you away from the site and you go elsewhere for it, or you put up with it and keep trying?".

Maybe I'm just trying to make sense of it and it makes none, but the above is close enough and would be a more pertinent question.

The poll I think is just meant to be provocative more than statistically relevant in any way.

Exactly right ;)

Keenly
10-20-2011, 01:31 AM
How has this issue been going for you all over the last week?
We made some changes after my last post, that hopefully fixed the issue. let me know.

archaeotect
10-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Looking good so far. Haven't seen the message for about a week, I guess. Just tested opening all image links on a gallery page almost simultaneously - no problem. Thanks for looking into it!

JWRodegher
10-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I haven't seen the message in a while now, I was thinking about that just yesterday.
All the efforts you guys are doing are very much appreciated. I'm curious to know what are the changes you made, just to know. Did you need to add servers or some configurations were messing up random connections?

Again, thanks for the effort and the changes. Cheers!

WyattHarris
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I've been looking for an existing thread as I figured there must be one. I haven't been getting the 'please wait' message lately but yesterday the site timed out seems like all day. I'm sure you guys were aware of it but just in case.

Keenly
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
the site timed out seems like all day.

Yes, we had a separate issues with the domain name over the last couple of days, not fun.
all fixed now. :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.