PDA

View Full Version : PC font management

rgw3
11-07-2003, 07:07 PM
I am a LOOOOONG time mac guy adding a PC to my studio, and I was wondering about font management.

On the Mac there are specific applications like "Font Reserve" or "Suitcase" that handle the activation of fonts so that if you have 800 mb of fonts, you can activate only the ones you need when you need them. rather than having them all load into ram at startup which would kill your machine.

Is there a similar app (shareware or commercial) on the PC Side?

Thanks!!!
rob

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 07:15 PM
I've never used any other app (mostly because I've never heard of them or come in contact with them) except for Adobe Type Manager. I love that app, works great. However, it does lag a bit the more and more and more fonts you activate, though it does give you full control over what fonts you want activated or not.

dvornik
11-07-2003, 08:53 PM
There are tons of them. ATM is useful, but you may want more features. One I really like is called Typograf, check it out:

http://www.neuber.com/typograph/index.html

rgw3
11-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info!

Typograh looks pretty good. I had forgotten all about ATM. Adobe abandoned it on the mac platform a few years ago, and it has slipped off of everyones radar. (for mac users that is)

My machine comes in on wednesday, so my long decent to the dark side begins...

rob

ezekiel
11-10-2003, 06:07 PM
hey man if your using font reserve or suitcase for your macs get the pc version. it helps a lot when you have both platformes in the room if you just use the same software. it makes for an easier transition for you or your employees.

personally where running font reserve.

-zek

rgw3
11-10-2003, 10:56 PM
I had no idea that those apps were available on windows! I just assumed they were mac only since they were just that for so long. I guess I should have checked their web sites first!

It's funny, mail order places like PCmall don't make any mention of font management for PC's. (at least not in the print catalogs they send in the mail)

Thanks zek!!

rob

ezekiel
11-11-2003, 08:42 PM
no problem man good luck with that.

-zek

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.