PDA

View Full Version : Is this career viable?

TheOneAndOnlySteve
10-09-2011, 04:51 AM
Hello,

My name is Steve and I'm currently studying at The College of New Jersey. In June, I realized that the only thing I really ever wanted to do was modelling, animation, and possibly concept art for major video games, working for companies like Bethesda or Epic. More than anything else, I want to create incredible monsters and character models.

The only problem is that before this summer, I've had no experience in any of those areas. When I got back to school I changed my major to Interactive Multimedia (basically digital media) and picked up a minor in fine arts. I've been putting in several hours of drawing a day ever since.

Unfortunately I'm still not really sure I'm on the right track to get where I want to go. TCNJ is a really a teaching college, and their art program is geared towards pumping out art teachers, and they certainly don't have graduates producing the high quality digital paintings I want to make. Their digital media program will teach me how to model and animate, and I can teach myself how to rig, texture, and bake normals, but realistically there's only so much I can expect to learn.

I will be graduating TCNJ in May of 2014 with a bachelors in Computer Science and IMM. After that, are there schools I can get into that can take me the rest of the way? Basically, I want to learn how to create the kind of amazing things you see in the CG Showcase, and I'm asking what steps I can take, given my current resources, to make that happen. What are the all around best schools that'll have masters programs in what I want to do, and what skills will I need first? Does my current track even let me get where I want to go?

I'm prepared to do whatever work is necessary, but first I need to know that my efforts are well-aimed.

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2011, 04:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.