PDA

View Full Version : mirai books for starters?

giantrobot
06-08-2002, 05:45 PM
hi-

i am wondering if there are any books for mirai out there...or any good websites?

ambient-whisper
06-09-2002, 10:02 AM
the workbook that comes with mirai should be enough.
there is a pdf file that comes with mirai. called workbook. and theres another file named "getting-started"

getting started is info on the interface. ( read it a few times. because it contains a lot of stuff that will speed you up a LOT when you start getting a hang of things, like middle clicking on the window bars ( youll know once you read it )

or middle or right clicking on the icons in the geometry graph. things like that.

the workbook is the "tutorial" book. it contains tutorials on every aspect of the application. it covers more than enough to know the app pretty much inside out. but dont expect to know literally everything. because they never take you through an actual complex animation. its pretty much centred around the use of mocap and their NLA system that they made for mirai. which they tried to promote. lots of useful info on skeletons and geometry tho. that area was covered pretty well i think.

also they barely touch any of the expression/ "programming" channels for animation. if at all. though there is another pdf on that. ( but nowhere near enough on the topic still.)

giantrobot
06-09-2002, 04:24 PM
great, thanks...i found them.

i usually skip over this sort of stuff, because i can pick programs up easily ....but mirai was too different.

thanks!

LucentDreams
06-09-2002, 08:18 PM
those books are your bibles, keep them close to your computer at all times. guard them with your life. And to AW, where have you been man, haven't heard from you or seen you around much lately. How are things goin what are you up too?

Whistler2k
06-18-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey!

Can anyone tell me where I can get Mirai? I Mailed them for info, but got a "could not deliver mail" reply. It`s almost as if they we`re all dead over there!

Oh, and I have a question as I couldn`t figure it out from the Datasheet ...

Can Mirai create Morph targets for facial animation, and does it have deformer like stuff just like Maya has ... ?

Thanx for info!

LFShade
06-18-2002, 06:42 PM
Not only can Mirai create morphs, you don't even need to duplicate your model to make them! Lattice deformers are available, I think, but Mirai goes one better: you can pose your bones, then remodel parts of the mesh that are deforming poorly and save the changes as a displacement (morph) based on the rotation of the bone. Invaluable for areas like the shoulder and pelvis:)

Whistler2k
06-18-2002, 07:59 PM
Sounds cool!

Does anyone use it for movies or stuff! I rarely hear of it! Still, how can I get it? Is it possible to get a Demo? Does anyone know if there is a students license ....

Thanks for any info!!

LFShade
06-18-2002, 11:01 PM
Mirai and its predecessors (N-World & N-Geometry) had been used a lot by game developers. Mirai has been used for film projects, but to what extent I'm not exactly sure.

At the moment you can't get a demo or even buy the product, because the company that most recently sold the product (Izware) seems to be on sabbatical. Nobody has heard anything from them in over a year:(

Prior to Izware going into hiding, a demo was available, as well as a student license which went for around $750. I sincerely hope to hear some good news about Mirai soon:shrug:

Whistler2k
06-19-2002, 07:13 AM
Hmm! I thought so!

I tried Nendo and I liked its workflowvery much, so I thoght I`d check Mirai, as I`m still looking for a good animation Software WITH good modelling tools!

I like the Animation tools with Maya, but it definately lacks the modelling tools for polygonal modelling. Even MAX (which I used before) has better tools.

Anyway, lets hope someone will take care of it soon ..

Thnx for answering!!

J.Clayton
06-21-2002, 05:22 AM
I've been crying a year and a half now over the Mirai situation. It is simply the best polygonal modeler on the market....well not on the market i guess. Our company just switched to Maya and it just doesn't cut it!

ambient-whisper
06-21-2002, 12:35 PM
i wonder. when a company switches software. does it mean that they throw away all other software? and cant use the old stuff no-longer? cuz i mean for polygonal work you can always export using obj...:rolleyes: or did yer licenses run out ?

LFShade
06-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Martin - those licenses do expire, right? I mean, it's been a long while since Mirai has been available to purchase. Are they still at least supporting their established user base (updating licenses and such)? I figured you might know, since you're still using it.

Whistler2k
06-21-2002, 09:31 PM
So when the Company is in some kind of Stasis ....

What if one goes out and looks for Mirai on the Net .. and then uses it, alone or in combination with oher apps ...

WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

Will izware go to court? Will anything happen? I mean when it`s impossible to buy it ...

ambient-whisper
06-21-2002, 10:38 PM
well i got a permanent license. so this thing will only run out when my ethernet card goes out.

J.Clayton
06-21-2002, 11:39 PM
I guess I should explain what I meant by our company switching to Maya. We still have Mirai and can use if we like (exporting obj's) but we've just been asked to get into Maya and learn how to Model proficiently in it. It has been quite a task to learn polygonal modeling in Maya because it is just a different way of modeling and it doesn't have some of the tools that speed up production (ie Move along segment, tighten, etc.).

Some companies switch completely for pipeline reasons. I believe Viepoint Datalabs did this about a year ago. From Nichemen/Mirai and Advanced Visualizer to Maya. I could be wrong though.

Somebody needs to buy Mirai from Winged Edge Technologies and do something productive with it for the sake of all of us.

Okay I'll shut up now.

beaker
06-25-2002, 08:16 AM
>>Does anyone use it for movies or stuff!

At my last freelance job I worked with a guy that used Mirai on Vertical Limit for particle work. I had also previosly met his supervisor on vertical limit at a christmas party(Bart Gawboy). Bart had previosly worked for Nichimen. He now runs a company called Marina Motion LLC.
http://www.marinamotion.com/

ambient-whisper
06-25-2002, 02:52 PM
i really hope theres a 1.5 because bart gawby said hes making( or going to make ) a mental Ray interface for Mirai. heres hoping.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.