PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Builders Guide

Sieb
11-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Hard[OCP]s latest guide on choosing parts for your new rig. The only real difference being for CG users is a Quadro card in place of the ATI if you want to be technical.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTM1

Brim
11-07-2003, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't run an overclocked system if you're doing 3D. It's just asking for instability (max, maya, whatever). Windows and games might run ok but I'd reconsider using 3D apps on an overclocked CPU.

Sieb
11-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Overclocking is up to the user. I posted the article to give people a good idea of what to look for since everyone constantly asks..

Overclockablity is also a good representation of the quality/stability of the chips/boards. Keep in mind, all chips are basically the same, but some don't quite pass the speed/voltage tests required to put it in a specific class due to various production/design issues present but still run perfeclty fine. Some of course, only run one speed and that's it. Resaults may very.

oxyg3n
11-07-2003, 09:58 PM
I read this article last night. It was informative but I still need help picking out my next cpu and mb:)

Emmortal1
11-08-2003, 12:21 AM
I'd never overclock my graphics workstation, hell I don't ever overclock my game machine either, it's just asking for problems. More often than not it's just too much trouble to even bother running an overclocked system. Plus spending cash on a good cooling system just to overclock it to the next few steps up, you could have invested that money in buying the faster CPU to begin with.

Emmortal

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.