PDA

View Full Version : Senior in Highschool Looking for school

sargentcrunch
10-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Hi everyone, I am currently a senior in highschool and am looking for a school to go to next year. I want to become a 3d artist for a game company. I was wondering if anyone knows a good list of schools to apply to that would prepare me for a career in this field. I would like to become a hard surface modeler if that matters.

jpatel
10-10-2011, 02:58 PM
There is a sticky in this forum with a list of schools that teach computer graphics. Not all of them are game art specific though.

You should check out Champlain College in Burlington, VT. This site has information about the game program and examples of student work. http://gamestudio.champlain.edu/
This is the general college website: http://www.champlain.edu/

I teach in the Game Art program, so I'm bias, but we've built a really solid game program that's becoming well known by studios in the northeast and Montreal. We have three majors within the game development program, game art and animation, game design and game programming. Starting in the sophomore year there are production classes in which all 3 majors work together on team projects to produce games. By the time students graduate they have worked on 3 or 4 team projects with artists, designers and programmers, so they really understand how to work in a collaborative environment.

The game art and animation major has a solid mix of fine art courses and technical courses. The game art classes are very demanding, so be prepared to work your butt off in order to succeed.

There is a portfolio requirement for admission into the Game Art program.

moonfairymagic
10-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey!

I would recommend not going to school to learn how to model to get into the industry. The industry doesn't care about you marks at school or a diploma. If I were you, I'd go to Digital-Tutors, learn 3DS Max and/or Softimage and Mudbox and/or Zbrush. The gaming industry uses 3DS Max and Softimag. They use the former more so. Softimage is great for modeling and has a very loyal fan base. Going to school is very, very expensive and it's superfluous. All the students from my class when i went to a public college never got hired. They worked very hard but they school never fallowed through it's promises. Schools are business and the tend to distort employment rates, school credibly, the ease of find a job, etc. If I could go back in time, I'd save some money, buy a kick ass computer with a dual monitor or 3, get as many tutorials on the software you want to use and then practice for whole year. School can't wave a magic wand and make you a great artist. That comes from your dedication and passion. A lot of the people in the industry tell you it take passion and dedication and as long as you have that the massive amount of hard work and practicing will be more like fun. It is like that for me and I love it.I would really like to stress to to that school is a nice way to meet people who share your passion but what schools teaches you can be taught at home through the computer. I've been to school twice and this is what I had to learn the hard way. If you have anymore questions, hit me up at my email: moonfairymagic@gmail.com. Show me some of your 3D work and design, if you like. I'd be more than happy to give you some feedback.

Cheers!

jpatel
10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
While it's true that you can learn 3D through doing tutorials from places like Digital Tutors, I disagree that going to college is a waste of time. There are some doors that are more easily opened when you have a college degree, and a good school will teach you more than just how to push buttons.

It is however extremely important to choose a college wisely or you can end up wasting a lot of money. Visit the college, talk to the full-time faculty, ask about their background, and talk to students in the program. Make sure the faculty have industry experience. Find out where recent graduates are working. Make sure there is a good balance between traditional art classes and technical 3D classes. Find out whether students work in teams in any of the production classes. Ask the right questions and make your decision carefully.

Also, make sure you know what kind of college you're applying to. There are three main types of schools in the USA. Public colleges/universities, non-profit private colleges and for-profit private colleges. Be careful of the for-profit private colleges, because they are about making a profit, and don't usually provide the best value for your dollar.

danielec
10-12-2011, 07:05 AM
I would strongly suggest looking into RIT's 3D Digital Graphics. The program focuses on interaction design, motion graphics, 3D modeling, game art and design, web and mobile UI design and visualization.

I believe Rochester Institute of Technology (http://computergraphics.rit.edu/) has a BFA program in 3D Digital Graphics and an MFA program in Computer Graphics Design. The curriculum combines knowledge of design theory, methodology and aesthetics with skills in 2D and 3D computer graphics, interactive techniques and interfaces.

Best Regards.

hrh888
10-22-2011, 11:52 PM
The Princeton Review rated colleges for game design.
They are:

1 University of Southern California, Interactive Media Division
2 DigiPen Institute of Technology
3 Drexel University, RePlay (Digital Media & Computer Science)
4 Becker College, Game Design and Game Programming
5 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Games and Simulation Arts and Sciences
6 The Art Institute of Vancouver, Game Art & Design/Visual & Games Programming
7 Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Interactive Media and Game Development (IMGD)
8 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab

I will try to attach link below. Hope this helps.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/214164/8-highest-ranked-colleges-for-game-design/

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2011, 11:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.