PDA

View Full Version : game programming schools

thomas123
11-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Do you know some good schools, where for example C++ expecially for graphic-programming (games,...) is teached?
thomas

Ajaciedwt
11-09-2003, 05:19 PM
look at www.gamasutra.com they got a full list of schools which teaches game design related.

mastermesh
11-18-2003, 06:15 PM
has a list too.

OC-NightHawk
11-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Why would you only want to be taught how to program games. Its ind of limiting. Not to mention by and by game programmers are paid less than other programmers. You want a computer science degree. Games are just logic, so don't go looking for a magic bullet game school. Graphics are for the most part handled using OpenGL or DirectX. It doesn't require a degree to know how to use them. You'd be better served if taught the concepts behind object orientaded design and all the other programming concepts.

Derlaine
11-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Deleted text because I can't delete the post

Darkor
12-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Everything you can learn in any school can be learnt by yourself, given the right kinda of determination. However that doesn't mean that you should, or shouldn't.

I believe that for me, going to a game development school would be akin to being spoonfed. However way you see it, a programmer's talent lies in not how he learns.

I believe that the projects allow programmers to experience working in teams and actually completing projects. That is worth more than anything.

thomas123
12-01-2003, 06:45 PM
thank you guys for your replies!

I think you have impressed me, game-schools arenīt that good. And Iīm already learning all this stuff by myself.
also thanx (the first posts) for these links ... I found some interesting stuff there.

OC-NightHawk
12-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Derlaine
I think universities in general tend to cater to a more academic computer science education, ie. lots of THEORY AND MATH MMM YUM YUM. "Seroius" things like Parallel Processing, Neural Networks, Grid Computing etc.

Not that it's a bad thing, learning stuff like Discrete Structures essentialyl trains you to think logically and solve problems, and learning Software Engineering teaches you "How to make a good program that will be scalable and good for team environments".

What i mean is, if you study CS at a generic university, you'll have to do a lot of the game related stuff on your own, usually, things like Collision Detection, Game Physics, etc. You also have to put up with a lot of general education. Generally you have to like problem solving to be able to do well in an academic Comp Sci environment; if all you wanna do is make cool stuff in games, you might not enjoy an academic environment.

I don't want to sound harsh but, if you can't problem solve word problems what makes you think you'll be able to problem solve a box around the game character and objects and be able to tell when and where they'll intersect? What do you think thats using? MATH. Your general education at work. Game physics is nothing more than a mimicking of physics with a hefty dose of computer science logic. Both of which are tought in computer science. Programming is programming. Do you really need a whole major just to tell you how you should solve just a few computer problems? You know you'll still need to learn the object orientated design technices, error handeling, logical controls, and controled loops. You'll probably pay more for less if you go to a school that only teaches you how to make games.

hrgiger
12-04-2003, 12:32 AM
I have to agree with OC-NightHawk here. I'm going to school for computer/software engineering and it doesn't really focus on graphics at all. However, I'm taking it upon myself to learn that side of it. The school is teaching me the ideas, methods and logic behind programming, and I feel that's probably going to be 75% of it. The rest I can do on my own.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.