PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Forest - Char/Env/Anim - MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy
06-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Hello all,

although hopelessly late, I think I can get this challenge done on time. My idea: stop-motion style animation (although it will be done in MAX, it'll all be flat, so I think it's really 2D). This little girl encounters this werewolf boy in the forest. It'll be a little story. Anyway, it should be quite fun.

These are the character designs. They will be flat, segmented characters, like cut-out puppets.
http://www.adammurphy.com/wip/charcolours1.jpg

This is the start on the background. There will be 4 layers (2 behind and 1 in front of this) which parallax part like a diorama.

EDIT - Image removed to ease my longsuffering server space. New BG image further down the thread. Thx. /EDIT

I hope I'm not breaking some unwritten rule about animations - I don't see any others.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Also, can someone confirm, does this end on the 20th or the 30th? I see both in the guidelines.

Russo
06-09-2002, 08:38 AM
nice paint, are you using Photoshop? Tablet?

MonkeyBoy
06-09-2002, 09:11 PM
Yeah, Wacom w/ Painter Classic for the background. The chars are just quick fills of scanned sketches in Photoshop.

Iguiniz.X.
06-09-2002, 09:23 PM
Looking good.
I can't wait to see what happend with the little girl.
Will she be eaten or will they be friends.
she's kind and he is mean
what will happen what will

OZ
06-09-2002, 09:56 PM
SWWWEEEEEEET STYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i love it man !!! u have to finish it!!!! YEAH! THE WOLF IS GREAT!!

Tommy Lee
06-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Hope to see first animations in gifformat soon,...:bounce:

Like the chars and the opening-scene background is amazing.
Nothing to say yet, just keep on working:thumbsup:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee:twisted:

MonkeyBoy
06-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

Tnx for comments & encouragement.

Iguiniz.X. - I'm glad you read the characters so well - that means they're working I think. As for what happens, you'll have to watch the final movie!! :-P

Here's an update on the background: QT format. Just so you can see the parallax. (Yeah, parallax!! :buttrock:) You'll have to scrub it back and forth: only a few frames for size sake. The girl is just for reference: obviously she'll be animated etc... Anyway, czech it out...

[Edit] - posted the message without the attachment. Grrr..

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 07:37 PM
any link?:rolleyes:

MonkeyBoy
06-11-2002, 07:44 PM
Hi all,

Tnx for comments & encouragement.

Iguiniz.X. - I'm glad you read the characters so well - that means they're working I think. As for what happens, you'll have to watch the final movie!! :-P

Here's an update on the background. Gah! I give up on animated GIF: pain in the bloody neck. Here's a still: girl is for reference (not the final model yet). I wanted to show you the parallax scrolling, which looks really cool, but I guess you'll all just have to wait, so nyeah :p

MonkeyBoy
06-11-2002, 07:47 PM
While I'm at it...

Tommy Lee
06-11-2002, 07:47 PM
That pain, THAT PAIIIIIIIN!!!!!:cry:

Cant wait,...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

MonkeyBoy
06-11-2002, 07:48 PM
and..
(these are views as the scene scrolls along. The wolf will be lurking behing the big green tree...)

MonkeyBoy
06-13-2002, 04:18 AM
Hello.

Now the girl is made. Test animation.

ps. thx Tommy Lee :)

dobermunk
06-14-2002, 08:11 PM
woohOoo!!!

gifs and innocent perversions of myths!
I like this one!

PATER
06-15-2002, 10:22 AM
jep, its great... i had that idea with the moving characters in a drawed world as well (if you believe me or not... )

That was missing in this challenge!

And i like your version!

Keep on! make a cool little short-story!

:applause:

Gamoron
06-18-2002, 09:23 PM
I just saw your work Monkeyboy. Wish I saw it sooner. I don't know what it is about it, but your image truly does have magic and enchantment! Keep it up man, looks great. Looking forward to seeing the next update, and I'm wishing it was a short film or something.
:thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy
06-19-2002, 01:08 AM
Second page! Go me! :buttrock:

thx all for your encouraging comments.
PATER: yeah I saw some discussion on this site actually about how to simulate stop-motion in 3d packages - don't remember if that was you...
Gamoron: it will be a short film (very short...):)

Update: the wolf boy in boy mode.

Will have more frequent updates in future (was away this weekend).

MonkeyBoy
06-19-2002, 05:25 AM
And now the wolf boy in wolf mode:

ps. these are just quick test animations to test the rig.
C&C most welcome.

Tommy Lee
06-19-2002, 06:09 AM
Yeah,yeah,yeah... I see Žem coming.
IŽve nothing to crit now, because I am not so involved in animationthings.
Looks great for me now.:thumbsup:

I am sure ya will get some better crits from anothoer one in here.
I just can say if I like it or not. The cause is to less knowledge about animation in that way you do.

But I hope I motivate ya a bit:rolleyes:

Cheerz

Tommy Lee

MonkeyBoy
06-20-2002, 05:24 AM
Thx Tommy Lee ;)

Another little update for you: the chars in the scene (scene 1 only so far... one more backdrop to do). Obviously you won't see the boy and the wolf together in the final. Also, will have some lighting effects... Anyway, any crits welcome.

http://www.adammurphy.com/wip/Scene1test.jpg

Iguiniz.X.
06-24-2002, 07:12 AM
Got no big coments, except that they are walking in the air.
Maybe you can make a layer in the front of the image which only shows the contours of grass and make them walk a bit lower in the image. try to make them walk on the same hight, maybe it improves,worth a try!
Then I got an other sudgestion. the far background. it is a mono collor, gray. Try to make that background a bit chancing grayscale so there won't be the same collor every were in the background, and that it looks like fog or so, I think it will improve.
Well Further MAKE THEM MOVE,:bounce:
I' dying :bounce: to see how the story unfolds and ......... :drool:

Totitch
06-27-2002, 06:50 PM
I like it! :applause: :applause:

Very naive designs...It remembers me old cartoons from the 50'
Very nice!

It will be better if the characters will be animated with Full-Anim and not only like "puppets"...but I know it's very very long to do 2d Animations

Did you realise animations with Flash or in 3d?

On of my favorit work here, because of the graphic choice!
bravo!

MonkeyBoy
06-28-2002, 03:12 AM
Thx for yer comments, guys.

No updates just now cos I'm working flat out on it, and optimizing movies for the web is a pain. Deadline's soon... :argh:

Iguiniz.X. - I'm hoping that once the chars are walking properly that will indicate where they are stepping. I have some foliage along the botom: I'll maybe add more if it needs it. Good point about the background: I've added some noise. If I have time there will be a fog, so it won't be an issue, but it's starting to look like the fog will be nixed, so good idea.:)

Totitch - Thanks! I know what you mean about full anim, but I hope these will have a a nice cut-out animation feel like some old Russian animations I was looking at recently (check out "Tale of Tales" on the www.cinemanow.com website).

Tommy Lee
06-28-2002, 11:55 AM
YouŽll do it!!!!!GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:bounce:

MonkeyBoy
07-01-2002, 01:06 PM
*Fashionably late as usual, the Monkey strolls into the party... *

Monkey: Hi everyone, sorry I'm late: I had a total computer failure. It looks to be working now, so I'll post somethng for you all shortly.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.