PDA

View Full Version : Submission Query

Rivenis
10-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I recently posted this (http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g63/205063/205063_1317686012_medium.jpg) piece to the 2d gallery and it was rejected...

Are you guys serious? I know i'm no master artist but i'm damn sure the level of this piece is on par with the current standards of the gallery.
Don't take my statement to mean that i'm not open to criticism, but i'd just like an explanation because it makes absolutely no sense to me why this piece would be rejected. Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Kirt
10-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm not involved with the gallery validation in any way. But I'll offer my critique of the image if it'll help.

My initial thought of the image was that as a concept, it has merit. There is a theme and kind of a story going on here that is intriguing. I like the nightmare quality of the image, but it also seems like a rough or unfinished work. The texture or brush work of the image seems hurried and unrefined. More time could be spent to refine these brush strokes into something more polished and stylized.

There isn't much of a focus to the piece which leads the eye to wandering all over the image. Sometimes that is intended but I think this image could be improved by focusing on the falling character and less emphasis placed on the other elements in the image. Although, you have used composition pretty well to lead the viewer's eye down the center towards the "faller", better use of color could be used to make the viewer focus on this character.

I would post this in the WIP forum. Someone there may have additional info to push this image more. It's not a bad piece, so don't be discouraged by the non-acceptance into the gallery. And don't fall into the habit of making comparisons of your work to others. Each image has a unique impact on those who would critique it. Without knowing why it was not accepted (I don't want to use the term "rejected" because it's an inaccurate term for the process), I would just say take an objective look at the work or get additional opinions on what it needs to be improved.

Rivenis
10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks alot for the critique Kirt, its very much appreciated. I was experimenting with a less refined style. I guess it could use more practice. :)

leigh
10-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I thought it worth mentioning that there are now about six moderators involved in gallery validation - each image requires a number of votes in order to be declined or accepted. Because of the number of people voting, it's not easy to provide a specific reason upon declining, as each person will have had different views on why and how they voted.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2011, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.