PDA

View Full Version : 3D Stills gallery posts getting rejected for a bogus reason

eldee
10-04-2011, 07:56 AM
The reason given says "You have not given your full, real name", but I have. This is my full, real, legal name. I have no idea how i'm supposed to prove that.. take a look at my resume, my portfolio site, linkedin account, check the credits on the games I have worked on, etc..

Should I just make up a name that sounds more believable? :P

What are you guys even doing to verify that people have used their real name out of curiosity?

Also as a side note, the "Contact Us" link from the portfolio page does not work, sends you to a 404 page:
http://www.cgsociety.org/CGSHome/contactus

leigh
10-04-2011, 09:41 AM
"LD" doesn't look like a full first name to me; initials are not allowed.

eldee
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
So that's how things are verified around here? You just guess?

So If I just make up a name like "John Shaftington" you'll push it through simply because it 'looks like a real name'?

Like I said, this is my full, real name, regardless of what it 'looks like' to you. I've listed numerous places you can verify it, I'm not going to submit to a bodyscan and DNA check.

Kirt
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Are you always this crass and confrontational when resolving issues? It didn't occur to explain the issue politely and expect that maybe an error was made that could be corrected if handled professionally?

We don't allow initials in the name because a copyright mark is added to the bottom of the image. We'd like to make sure that the correct name is included on this, so this is why initials are not usually accepted. No we don't have time to verify everyone's correct full name, but in most cases dropping images with what appears to be initials, eliminates incorrect info from appearing. Sorry, but your name is different and seems to fall within this criteria.

You should have probably recognized that your name is not very conventional and may have been the problem. But please, go ahead and jump down our throats for trying to do a service for our users. That will help us resolve the problem immediately to suit your needs. :hmm:

eldee
10-04-2011, 10:39 PM
First of all- I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm being defensive.. which is entirely different. My original post explained the situation quite succicntly, and was polite. But the reply I got felt like I was being called a liar, so I apologize if I came off as overly defensive or appeared that I was jumping down someone's throat. I felt like I gave sufficient proof in my original post and it was dismissed out of hand. What would you do in that situation? I honestly don't think my reply was out of line given the situation.

I'm not trying to start an argument or cause trouble, I'm simply saying that your system for verifying that people are posting with a real name is broken, because as long as someone uses a fake name that 'looks real' it would go through no problem- because you're simply doing a visual check.

That's all, no more no less.

Kirt
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM
But, there is no need to be defensive. Explain the problem, wait for an answer, acknowledge the issue and provide a explanation and/or solution and we'll either agree or disagree. Problem resolved.

Leigh's answer may have been short (and I can't blame her, she does quite a bit around here) but it did address the issue with an answer to the problem. How is she supposed to know your real name is unconventional in it's spelling (no vowels)? I would have assumed the same, that "LD" were initials for your first and middle name.

So, rather than going with the "WTF do you know about my name!" attitude, you could have said, "Oh I understand the confusion, but my legal name really is LD. What do I need to do to get my images accepted into the gallery with this name?"

I also clarified that it's not a "system for verifying" as much as it is a stop-check to make sure a full name is included in the copyright notification. Which is basically what Leigh is saying. It looked like initials, so it was not accepted.

Zarathustra
10-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Frankly, both sides have reacted poorly. Admins could have followed up on the unusual looking name without knee-jerkingly rejecting the submission and LD shouldn't be so, as he admits, defensive.

Alrighty then, run along and make nice everyone. :thumbsup:

leigh
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Frankly, both sides have reacted poorly. Admins could have followed up on the unusual looking name without knee-jerkingly rejecting the submission and LD shouldn't be so, as he admits, defensive.

Uh, knee jerk? It's a standard procedure, choosing from a drop-down menu of rejection messages that we use, and have always used. Hundreds of people have received exactly the same message over the years, and no-one has ever been so rude about it.

What people don't realise is that these steps are in place to help them. Copyright notices are placed on work for their own benefit, and many accidentally overlook putting their full names into their profiles when submitting work; as such, it's standard procedure for us to reject a piece, asking for a resubmission with the full name, if someone submits work that has initials instead of a full name, or only a single word in the name field, or a name that looks like an internet nickname.

I find it very hard to believe that this is the first time in the poster's entire life that someone thought he'd written down his initials only. His aggression and rudeness was entirely unnecessary, as was your own response, Zarathustra.

Zarathustra
10-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Oh brother. :rolleyes:

eldee
10-05-2011, 09:07 PM
I find it very hard to believe that this is the first time in the poster's entire life that someone thought he'd written down his initials only.
You're quite right- it's not the first time. It is, however, the first time that- having corrected someone politely, they essentially said "yeah right... sorry bud, doesn't sound like a real name to me."

If you think my reply was rude (which I disagree with entirely), you need to take a good hard look in the mirror. I'm not going to keep beating this dead horse, I've made my point and will leave it at that.

Keenly
10-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Your name is just too awesome for us LD, we can't handle it. I like the way you've made your username look like a name when your name looks like a nickname, that's cool.

... anywho: I fixed the links on the portfolios footer, thanks for letting us know (I wrote the links before we created the pages and forgot to change them).

eldee
10-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Your name is just too awesome for us LD, we can't handle it. I like the way you've made your username look like a name when your name looks like a nickname, that's cool.

... anywho: I fixed the links on the portfolios footer, thanks for letting us know (I wrote the links before we created the pages and forgot to change them).
Ha, funny story there- I picked the online handle "eldee" because "LD" is usually too short for a username ;)

I should just get a legal name change and solve several problems with one swoop :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2011, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.