PDA

View Full Version : Super quick bit of advice - check my render method if it's correct.

RagingBull
10-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Note: I'm using Vray but MR would be the same, just different names for things I guess.

I rendered out some animations, objects which had screens - STUPIDLY I completely forgot to use the gamma correction for the images on the screens. So in the renders, they are washed out, luckily, only the screens.

So I thought I can render out a pass of the screens only, and just have the objects around them as matte objects so the screen still gets occluded etc

My mind is pretty frazzled at the moment, so I just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake before I render out 2000 frames :scream:

EDIT:
I probably don't need anything but the screen if I'm using a matte that came out on the original render - ie: it's already occluded where it needs to be right ?

Jozvex
10-02-2011, 09:47 PM
That sounds fine to me!**

**This opinion cannot be trusted.

Hah no if the screens are the only things that are wrong it should be fine. In fact if you rendered the original stuff as floating point EXRs or whatever and had a mask of the screens you may just be able to colour correct them in After Effects or Nuke etc.

RagingBull
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
That sounds fine to me!**

**This opinion cannot be trusted.

Hah no if the screens are the only things that are wrong it should be fine. In fact if you rendered the original stuff as floating point EXRs or whatever and had a mask of the screens you may just be able to colour correct them in After Effects or Nuke etc.

Hi,

Yes they were exr's (16bit float) masked.
It was an early render so I didn't include lots of layers in the exr, but there are mattes for the objects, reflection and specular.

I'll see how it looks but at least I can re-render just the screen, and it'll be fast.
Cheers :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.