PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gradient's.. and color

KINGOFPAIN
11-07-2003, 03:07 AM
ok.. i have a problem with making my gradients look smooth and not block like.. almost like the seperation of color to color... is this a setting or what?... if not.. how can i go about making good smooth color gradients.? thanks.

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 03:33 AM
that's most likely a result of your video card. What kind are u using? Sometimes the color depth isn't great enough for the gradients you produce to come out smooth. Try checking your display properties to ensure you're at least @ 24 bit color. Anything lower than that and you will run into some color banding issues (but that depends too).

KINGOFPAIN
11-07-2003, 03:55 AM
heres my card and color depth...

http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/extreme/color.jpg

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 04:39 AM
wh0a, and your color gradients don't come out smoooth??? that's baffling. I'm not exactly sure what goes there. It might be a gradient setting in photoshop somewhere, but I'm not sure past that. Can u screen shot what the gradients look like when you make them?

KINGOFPAIN
11-07-2003, 05:43 AM
the button i made... the gradient looks kinda block'E to me... what do you think?

http://www.angelfire.com/ex2/extreme/color_2.jpg

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 07:39 AM
looks fine to me. No banding or anything... maybe your monitor?

KINGOFPAIN
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
could be.. but i view and ceate on my flat panel.. and i'd think it would show better... my flatpanel is a pretty good one... maybe i need to adjust something ill give thata try.:thumbsup:

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 09:34 AM
what kind of flat panel do you use? On my laptop, I see some heavy banding on the gradients, even @ 32bit color. With that in mind, some questions would be.... what's the contrast ratio on your monitor, dot pitch, etc?

KINGOFPAIN
11-07-2003, 10:12 AM
heres my flat panel with specs
flatpanel (http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4622819)

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 05:45 PM
I can't recall the exact way to read some of these numbers because they vary between LCD and CRT but I think that pixel pitch is a bit large ... but if someone else could give some firmer input about how to read those numbers more specifically, that'd be great. But I think it's something like, the larger the number, the more difficult it is for the monitor to differentiate two slightly different colors between each other, thus creating banding. But yeah, I can't quite remember how exactly it worked for LCD's.

Do you have a CRT that you can try it on?

KINGOFPAIN
11-07-2003, 06:07 PM
yea i have a ctr but i dont trust it because the flat screen is covered with a glass panel and the panel is slightly tinted for glare reduction .. so everything has a darker tone to it on my ctr... i have them side by side.. and sliding pics or art between the to you acn tell a big difference... but yea... ill try to look up lcd settings for photoshop... thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

singularity2006
11-07-2003, 06:20 PM
@ this point, I don't think there is a setting to correct that. I'm pretty sure it's a monitor issue. the only thing that came close that I could think of that related to photoshop settings was the way gradients are created. There are several preferences for gradients, such as strait, rounded, spread, etc. Those are the settings I was talking about.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.