PDA

View Full Version : Caricatures: Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Michael Jackson, Pi3141 (3D)

Pi3141
11-06-2003, 07:10 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/50550/caricatures_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/50550/caricatures.jpg)

These are three of the 3D Caricatures I have completed recently.

Rigging done by T4D (Peter Thomas of www.thomas4d.com)

xtrm3d
11-06-2003, 08:13 PM
woohhaaooo...
over 110 view and no reply ?
can not believe that this stuff is so bad that he do not deserve any comment or advice

comment friend.. this is art ..
and as long i remember the purpose of art is to generate a recation from the viewer.. i mean .. a bad or a good one.. but at least a reaction..
no reply mean that this stuff.. is not art.. and leave you without any emotion..

i saw on this forum a lot of really bad stuff getting ton of reply and advice..
why not this one ?

for my part ..
i dont really like the mikel jackson..something too unclean..
but the madona and the marylin manson .. are really great and share a lot of resemblannce with the original one..

great charichature !!!:applause: :applause:

leigh
11-06-2003, 08:18 PM
LOL I love these! The Madonna one in particular is excellent, you got her likeness so well!! The poses are great too!!

I do think that in places the lighting is perhaps a little too strong, and their skin in particular is looking a teeny bit blown out, but overall these made me laugh a LOT!

I'm plugging this in the hopes that it will put smiles on other peoples faces too - these are too funny to be missed!!!

Omnicrola
11-06-2003, 08:25 PM
hah! That's great! :beer:
Some style and imagination here, definatly.

Try a sparkly glove on Michael, that'd be even more hilarious. :p

wgreenlee1
11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
cool models but the lighting sems blown out on the skin,maybe its supposed to be that way maybe

Pharaun
11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Awesome stuff. Both artistic and funny. Great!

I agree with Leigh about the lighting. Some places on the figures make my eyes hurt, especially the skin. I guess that is a contrast thing. :D

timsvw
11-06-2003, 08:30 PM
I love the madonna one. The one of Michael Jackson creeps me out, corse he creeps me out in real life to :) at any rate this is top notch work keep it up. Do you create these in 3d right away or do you draw them on paper first?

You should make them fight in a celebrity death match.

Unraveled
11-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Great stuff! I'm still wearing a bit of a stupid grin after seeing those. IMHO Michael's face looks a little too sharp with the creases, but then he doesn't look quite right in reality. The blurred hand on MM is a sublime touch.

Kvaalen
11-06-2003, 08:39 PM
Looks great!

I told you you'd reach the front page. :beer:

skello
11-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I like the manson one the best. The Jackson one however has no resemblance at all to micheal. If not for the poses and outfit i wouldn't even have a clue.

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 08:58 PM
They look great. :thumbsup:

oxyg3n
11-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Great Style. i hope to see more like this from you.

Pi3141
11-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Wow thanks. I'm glad you like them everyone.

xtrm3d: Thanks xtrm3d. I agree with you, The michael jackson one was sloppy. It was my first ever 3D caricature, so between then and my most recent (Madonna) I think i've learnt alot.

Leigh: I'm so glad they made you smile. That's the exact reason I make them. Not to create spectacular and amazingly crafted models. But to obtain a toon resembulance to the celebrity and make people smile with them.

Omnicrola: Great Idea! Thanks.

wgreenlee1: I agree with you about the bleached skin look. I'll see what I can do next time around. Thanks for taking note of that :beer:

Pharaun : Thank you Pharaun, I'm really happy they make you laugh. Thanks for taking note about the skin also. Just because a work is posted in the Finished gallery, doesn't mean it can't be critiqued. Thank you

timsvw Madonna is my favorite too. She's also my most recent. I think there's alot to be said for getting better with time. Hopefully the next few I do will come out even better

Unraveled : Thank you I'm really glad you like them. I agree with you. Michael jackson really is a sloppy model. I learnt alot while making it though and put those things to use in the Manson and Madonna models :)

Kvaalen You were right my friend, Shall we buy another round? :beer:

skello Thanks man. I've chosen Manson as a logo for my website actually, so I agree with you, he definately came out one of the best. The Jackson is wierd eh? It was a hard one to model. With a subject matter that is always changing his face, it was very hard to come up with an inbetween that everyone would recognize. Part of me wishes I had of stuck with the good ole' michael for the caricature.

Thanks everyone again. I'm so happy they make you smile. Afterall, that is what they are intended for :beer:

leigh
11-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by skello
The Jackson one however has no resemblance at all to micheal. If not for the poses and outfit i wouldn't even have a clue.

I personally think he got a great resemblance to Jackson. Look at pics like this:

http://www.shine.com/images/music_movies/jackson.jpg

Obviously some of the proportions are exaggerated for effect, but that's the point of caricatures :)

Keiyentai
11-06-2003, 09:08 PM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: Thoses are funny as hell. I have seen the Michael Jackson one before. THe Modona was is creepy and the Manson one is awesome as all hell. If he saw it he would probaly compliment ya lol. THough I dont know how Madona or Micheal would act....but Manson would probaly laugh. btw where did you get the Text for Manson pic? It's sweet. Awesome Job man. Front Page matirial all the way

TDA_3d
11-06-2003, 09:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Jackson's music, however i am not a fan of the man as he is now. The plastic surgery makes him look like that alien/human from the end of alien ressurection IMO, and the super glorified " i'm ET " version looks great! :thumbsup: :buttrock:

Lovely exaggeration on all of them to be honest, 3 great caricatures!

Pi3141
11-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Keiyentai

Thanks!... The font is actually two fonts merged. The base font is "Ancient Greek" I used every letter from the font but the "O" in Manson. For the O , I used "AntiChrist Superstar"

Both of these fonts can be downloaded from here

Dafont (http://dafont.com/)

stenosis|kill
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
amazing man :buttrock:
nothing more to say about it :beer:

darkwave
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
They are some great charicatures, man. Really like the Marilyn Manson one. Not sure about the Michael Jackson one mind, can't decide whether the edges are too creased or if it's pure artistic genius. :buttrock:

EricUNSL
11-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Wow Pi3141,

You really nailed machael Jackson. That guy is so freaky looking and it was never more apparent til you pulled out and exagerated all the things that make him look so freaky. Great work overall.

Hey are you familiar with the work of Daniel Adel?
http://www.danieladel.com/

Lukashi
11-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Haha cool, i dont think u need to exagerate micheal jackson thought :P

lmilton
11-06-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Leigh
I personally think he got a great resemblance to Jackson. Look at pics like this:

Obviously some of the proportions are exaggerated for effect, but that's the point of caricatures :)

I haven't scanned through all the repsonses, so forgive me if I'm saying something that's already been hashed. This photo caught my eye and gave me a real comparison.

If you compare this photo, with the charicature, there is very little resemblence. It's going to take more than just making him look as "freaky" as the real thing. At the very least, the charicature needs makeup;)

The other two are dead-on, though:thumbsup:

-lyle

gmask
11-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Leigh

Something inbetween MJ and ET

http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/movie/et/47.jpg

Pi3141
11-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Bingo. G'mask is the winner :beer:

gmask
11-06-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Pi3141
Bingo. G'mask is the winner :beer:

Hehe! Hopefully the prize is not a sleepover at neverland ranch :shame:

Pi3141
11-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Hehe! Hopefully the prize is not a sleepover at neverland ranch

hahahahaha, oh man I just about had a coronary.

:applause:

proton
11-06-2003, 10:37 PM
Awesome work....well deserving of teh main page...

thinkingoutloud
11-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Those Models are uneasy to look at, and so is your style,

Nice try though.

Rock ON!!!!:buttrock:

Rodi
11-06-2003, 10:46 PM
People, letz not start taking the pis** out Of the King of Pop, U know u love the new tune, everyone heard it yet? anyway getting back to 3d, good models, but Jackso's nose points higher, u need 2 exagerate more.

AstroSanchezz
11-06-2003, 11:24 PM
as you already know from the wip threads i think these are great
keep making more
and yes... rock on :buttrock: :buttrock:

lazzhar
11-06-2003, 11:25 PM
Vey nice job man !!
But the Madonna model is far better than the others, especialy the rigging, it seems done by someone else than who rigged the others!!
Congratultion !! you make us smiling at least !
:thumbsup:

Pi3141
11-06-2003, 11:32 PM
But the Madonna model is far better than the others, especialy the rigging, it seems done by someone else than who rigged the others!!

Your right :) The Madonna model is the best of the lot, It was the most recent one I did, and I guess theres alot to be said for getting better with practice.

The rigging for all characters was done by Peter Thomas (T4D) www.thomas4d.com

He builds some amazing rigs, and is always a pleasure to work with. Madonna probably has the best poses also because by the time it came to posing Madonna and putting her through her paces, I was much more used to T4D's rigs so the control felt a little smoother.

Congratultion !! you make us smiling at least !

That's what I love to hear. Keep smiling, and I'll keep making them ;)

sebek27
11-06-2003, 11:52 PM
awesome ! :applause: you should do Arnold next

vizion
11-07-2003, 12:03 AM
great job dude, i think Marylin Manson came out the best. Madonna reminds me of Christopher Walken.

blindsleeper
11-07-2003, 12:11 AM
whoa... michaels in permanent thriller mode... sweet job man :)

DarkBane
11-07-2003, 12:40 AM
I think your charicatures(?) rock. (no pun intended).

Your Marylin Manson is completely cool. The only crit I has is Jacko's Eyes. I like how you kept the eye more realistic looking on Manson and Madonna, but on Jacko, they look a little cartoony.

Killer work though

Keiyentai
11-07-2003, 12:46 AM
hehe thanks for the link man. More fonts to add to my list of 2000+ heheheh. I still think the Manson one is the best hehehe. Manson rules!

elnady
11-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Hey nice work So funny
Keep it up:beer:

hackie
11-07-2003, 02:34 AM
haha!! this is wicked!!!
ur characters make me laugh!!!! awesome!!
two thumbs up!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ji.

PureFire
11-07-2003, 02:53 AM
your getting better all the time dude...well done putting these together :D

T4D
11-07-2003, 04:23 AM
WOW Front Page COOL:thumbsup:
thanks Pi3141
for the shout out about the rigging again

seems i have a deadline when ever something exciting happering on Cgtalk and this time i have got a connection to it.

amazing models looking forward to rigging the next one Pi3141 :beer:

but how do we work Marilyn Manson, Madonna & Michael Jackson
into a animation ?
they all freaks in they own way .....
it might be just me, but all i can think of is sexual stuff
and MJ only plays with Kids So I'm not touching that :blush:

maybe a animation with them fighting over Korn's Freak on a leash ?:D

kueQ
11-07-2003, 04:44 AM
what a great models....

the third one is my favorite.. good job !!:buttrock: :buttrock:

phoenix
11-07-2003, 04:47 AM
impressive ...i love the marilon manson:)

silv
11-07-2003, 05:45 AM
can u make a wallpaper witk one of the manson's poses... i really want to change mine

Matt
11-07-2003, 07:55 AM
They're all interesting, but I don't really think they look like them at all. Even Manson.

TheGreenGiant
11-07-2003, 08:15 AM
amazing what a front page plug can do for a thread. I personally don't find the caricatures that great - they don't seem to have that X factor that the British talking head series has. I don't even think they capture the essense of these celebs that well. Sure you can say its Madonna because of the pointy bra and "Like a Virgin" crotch grab.. but that aside, she could be the lead singer from roxette in that get up. Madonna is defined by her front teeth (with the gap in between) and wide face. Manson, is just really scary and REALLY tall. I didn't like the MJ caricature back when it was posted weeks ago, and time hasn't change my opinion a bit.

My question, why caricaturise all these celebs in their 90's mode?

Madonna has come a long way from her bra days
Michael has straight hair now
and Manson proved himself to be conversant and intelligent in Bowling for Columbine.

Why all the M named celebrities? Is there an animation to come out of this? Well, not dissing but I wonder.

sixthe45
11-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Marilyn Manson looks top notch.
:applause:

Madonna seems to be in her elements. :)

MJ= :cool:

3M's of music.

TheGreenGiant
11-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by blindsleeper
whoa... michaels in permanent thriller mode... sweet job man :)

smooth criminal/moonwalker... not thriller.. get it right. thriller he had a red bomber jacket

cuse
11-07-2003, 09:40 AM
i remember looking at your site and was gutted that all i could see was one pic of your manson character cause i knew there was more great stuff!!!

These are fantastic, obv by now most people have said madonna and manson are great but there is something ****ed about michael?!

It would be very cool if you had a big 'family' brady bunch style shot of them all... group hug ;) maybe you need some more freaks in there though, i think an aged james brown would be perfect in your style, that shaped face and velvet suit, haha...

cuse

TheFreak
11-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TheGreenGiant
smooth criminal/moonwalker... not thriller.. get it right. thriller he had a red bomber jacket

Jeeze man lighten up, it's not the end of the world :)

I think they are looking great, i think they have captured the personalities of the stars although the Madonna one does look like several different people.

I actually quite like the Michael Jackson model...he has an ET look about him and well so does the real Michael :)

Great stuff

Great to see it on the front page, not just for it's artistic merit but so everyone can have a wee giggle at them :)

Pi3141
11-07-2003, 01:55 PM
EDIT: I've edited my original post... your questions do have more validity than I first thought. I apologise.

My question, why caricaturise all these celebs in their 90's mode?

Because to me, this is when they were in their prime. They had very caricteristic things about them during these era's and it's what stuck out in my mind the most. I guess I had to go with one era.

Madonna has come a long way from her bra days
Michael has straight hair now
and Manson proved himself to be conversant and intelligent in Bowling for Columbine.

Cool, can't wait to see your caricatures, no but seriously....

I chose to do madonna like that, because shes' recognizable for that bra, for the short blond hair and those clothes. Well at least to me she is.

Michael jackson, may have straight hair now... but I thought with the hat and all it would look like crap. So I decided to go with his pony tail look. Personal preference I guess.

And Manson...... I agree he's intelligent. I've read many of his books and loved all of them. I even decided not to put manson in his freaky clothing, or anything like that, and put him in one of his typical suits he wears. As for the hair face and eyes? Personally I thought I did that well :shrug:

Why all the M named celebrities? Is there an animation to come out of this? Well, not dissing but I wonder.

Actually I have no Idea. I'm working on Rocky Balboa next so I guess that breaks the trend.

cuse
11-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Bring on rocky!!! ;) Then who??? ;)

do you have any concept sketches or work directly in the app? Just because they are caricatures...

cuse

Pi3141
11-07-2003, 02:06 PM
do you have any concept sketches or work directly in the app? Just because they are caricatures...

I started out sketching them first. Then when I was more comfortable with the application, I started just modeling them, without the sketches first.

As for whos next after Balboa? No idea..... request some...:beer:

inkyspot
11-07-2003, 02:12 PM
First thing I clicked on when I saw it on the front. All of them is banging. Michael definately needs the glittery glove while grabbing his privates.
THAT"S SOME WICKED WORK MAN!
My only negative, maybe too brigt, some colors in the lights, more shadows, something.
I'm especially feeling he first Manson ;-) Wicked!

cuse
11-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Sounds cool... yea i already said one in an earlier post, who was it ermmm oh yea, James Brown.

http://www.thesimpsons.com/bios/images/bios_guests_brown.gif

I think with your style and old wrinkled jb would rock! ;)

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/j/James%20Brown.jpg

cuse

Cageman
11-07-2003, 03:51 PM
hehe... this made me laugh! :) Great work!! Both Madonna and Marilyn Manson are on the spot!

HamsaPaksham
11-07-2003, 04:30 PM
this is Madonna thirteen years before!!! But I still like it.

It seems the Madonna´s week here in cgtalk. Love her or hate her.

I definetly love her.

Remi
11-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Pi....i'm going to quote good ole proton and say "you are the king of caricatures" great work:)

dzogchen
11-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Woohoo! Three great models in one thread. Great jobs!:thumbsup:

zarkos
11-07-2003, 05:37 PM
I don't see resemblannce. When you focus on their faces you can't gues who are they.

http://www.privrednik.co.yu/zarko/madonna2.jpg

paconavarro
11-07-2003, 05:45 PM
MJ seems a lot like stewy from Family Guy

http://www.thefamilyguy.de/pics/framegrabs/2acx09/2acx09u.jpg

Pi3141
11-07-2003, 05:52 PM
Thanks!

I don't see resemblannce. When you focus on their faces you can't gues who are they.

Carciatures are wierd like that. They all rely on the artists interpretation of how they see the person. Fact is... we don't see everyone the same way. With a caricature, some people are always going to love them, then there will be plenty that hate them. Thats what makes the style exciting to do :)

They also are never intended to be a work of brilliant modeling, or rendering or design. No one looks at a caricature and says "woah.... you have amazing technical skills" Instead people look and think "woah, thats funny and cool".

So If I've achieved the latter of the two, I'm happy :)

Pinky_Powers
11-07-2003, 06:00 PM
I personally didn't see any resemblance to MJ. You exaggerated on the wrong features. If you would have focused more on his nose, lips and eyes, and less on his cheek bones then it would have possibly been the best of all. Lol. The Madonna one was pretty good. But the only angle that really caught "HER" was the last pose you put her in. that REALLY looks like her. Good Job.

And as many have already said, the Manson one is wonderful! There is no way anyone could look at that and not tell who you were going for. lol. Wonder work.

zarkos
11-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Pi3141

No one looks at a caricature and says "woah.... you have amazing technical skills" Instead people look and think "woah, thats funny and cool".

So If I've achieved the latter of the two, I'm happy :)

I agree with that.

P.S. You already reached front page so I thought that you could use some criticism.

Pi3141
11-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Hey pump out the critism by all means, I love hearing of ways to improve. The way I see it, if someone is going to take the time to reply and make suggestions, good or bad. They already like your work :buttrock:

Matt
11-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Or they're questioning why it got a front page plug, when that's usually reserved for extremely good stuff.

Madonna looks like Sharon Stone if anyone. I appreciate the characters, and the 3D work done on them, but as characatures, which typically are supposed to show the most obvious and well known features of a face, they really don't do it. What really surprised me is Michael. Usually, he's one of the easiest people to capture the essence of.

JIII
11-07-2003, 06:54 PM
Great work, I think that you can't really fault the way the artist made these. Its all a matter of opinion yes micheal is a bit funky but then again he has so many incarnations you really can't just say this is wrong this is right.

nice work.

Pi3141
11-07-2003, 07:05 PM
Or they're questioning why it got a front page plug, when that's usually reserved for extremely good stuff.

Thanks....

but as characatures, which typically are supposed to show the most obvious and well known features of a face, they really don't do it. What really surprised me is Michael. Usually, he's one of the easiest people to capture the essence of.

Caricatures aren't suppose to typically show the most obvious and well known features of a face. Actually they are suppose to capture the caricaturstics of the character, Whether it be the pose, the clothing, OR the face. I tried to get a decent enough balance between them all.

As i've said, people look different to different people viewing them. We don't all look through the same eyes. This is how those celebrities look to me. I'd sure love to see how they look to you, why don't you try and do some caricatures?

Start with Michael, apparently he's the easiest.

:beer:

Wiro
11-07-2003, 07:14 PM
I actually like the Manson one best as it REALLY looks spot on even without seeing the name written under it. Totally unmistakable!

MJ was sort of easy too because I couldnt think of anyone else with such pointy features. Plus he had the hat.

But the Madonna one could have been a lot of persons. One of the main features I think of is indeed the gap between her front teeth as TheGreenGiant mentioned, the beautyspot above her lip and the wide face. I had to doubletake when I read the name under the pic...and still didn't recognize her.
Anyway, I remember Madonna more from her 80s lace, net and skirt/bikershorts time so the pointy bras didn't even quite register :)

Wiro

E_Moelzer
11-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Hehe, I would do some celebrity- death- match sorta- aniamtion with them...
Cool stuff, despite all the critizsm thats benn said really like it and I see the original characters in all of them quite well.
CU
Elmar

Click
11-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Like the others said, Good try!!

Actually speaking caricature is a very different sort of art, if you want to apply it to 3D, you should also know it on 2D level. If you can "see" it you can make it. But i like your concept of '3D caricatures' it'll happen every where pretty soon. In fact i've been 'thinking' about it since a time now.
If you are not a caricature artist, it is a skill to develop just by looking at other caricatures on the web (inspiration and ref. material :applause: ) here are a few, on these lines it'll surely work. Secondly details in the texture for a better looking caricature is a must. More details you put in caricatures, better you've understood the art.
But like i said the concept is really good, master it soon, the age of 3D caricature animations is here. All the best!

Click
11-07-2003, 09:58 PM
some more links.........

http://www.tomrichmond.com/caricatures/cari_4_sub7.html
http://www.sketchme.com/gallery/michael/michael.htm

Frenkie
11-07-2003, 11:58 PM
nice,but modonna is not the best yet

eparts
11-08-2003, 12:41 AM
thats brilliant!
I like manson alot here :buttrock: he is genious made :D

salut :beer:

projectcoil
11-08-2003, 02:06 AM
http://projectcoil.dyndns.org/satanicsalute.jpg

Horned Hand - The sign of recognition between those in the Occult. When pointed at someone it is meant to place a curse. Note the thumb over the fingers and given by the left hand.

Pi3141
11-08-2003, 02:29 AM
:curious:

Agent D
11-08-2003, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by projectcoil
Horned Hand - The sign of recognition between those in the Occult. When pointed at someone it is meant to place a curse. Note the thumb over the fingers and given by the left hand. Or, "Rock on!" to those living in the 21st century. :rolleyes:

Great caricatures, Pi3141. Congratulations on the front page plug! Regardless of criticisms people may have, they're still well modelled and creative characters.

Drakaran
11-08-2003, 07:33 AM
I didn't read all 5 pages, but did want to say that it's not unusual for real spotlights to blowout the skin (especially) and light colors pretty easily, especially when the spots aren't being carefully managed, so I thought kinda thought the burn-out was on purpose to give em that harsh lighting real spots can give. the Madonna is ok, I like the Mansion one LOL. Jackson one maybe reasonable from his current likeness, but he appears so goulish (though the real Jackson does as well, I guess)

TRyanD
11-08-2003, 07:36 AM
OMG!!

I love that style, i do agree that the micheal jackson doesnt look that great....

But that manson one pwnz!!!

Great Job!! :applause: :buttrock:

dave_baer
11-08-2003, 08:16 AM
LOL! Really kewl stuff! Although, is it just me or does the Madonna one look more like Sharon Stone?

Micheal looks spot on. :D

pearson
11-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Here we see the power of the plug. :hmm:

In the first 13hours it was up not one reply. After the plug though, 6 pages! And all overwhelmingly positive.

I think there are better works that deserve some posts...especially since this ones been up for two days...:shrug:

This thread makes me think of this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94086), and this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90543).

However, I should confess that the manson one is well done. Artistically it is much more polished than the others. It is a much better charicature than the others, and the lighting doesn't look out of place because he always looks artificially white. ;)

xeno
11-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Im sorry, but i must say im starting to agree with pearson.

Madonna, i did not recognize her, the reasons of why are already known.

Also, the response u give to people who dont like the charicatures is a bit immature, "daring" them to do it better is not the way to deal with critiques.

Stalio
11-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Pi 3141 ,Manson is really good :)
Congratulations on front page :)

leigh
11-08-2003, 02:08 PM
When people post comments that are kinda complaining about the plugging of the thread, then I often feel a bit slapped in the face because it's basically an indirect questioning of my judgement of quality, as the person who plugged the thread in the first place.

Just to clarify something here, I plugged these images because they made me laugh a lot, and I personally think that the artist actually did a good job of the likenesses. I also think that CG Talk certainly doesn't get enough of this sort of work plugged - people mostly go for the photorealistic stuff - cg babes, cars, and all that kind of stuff. I thought this would be a great change.

And so far it seems that the majority of people agreed - they had a great laugh, and enjoyed the work. Caricatures are for entertainment, nothing more.

I think there are better works that deserve some posts...especially since this ones been up for two days...

Weekends are pretty slow here. We don't get nearly as much activity as during the week. When something else pluggable shows up, we plug it. So far today I've seen nothing that I would plug, but believe me, I'm looking... fresh plugs keep CG Talk happy and inspiring :)

Trolldeg
11-08-2003, 02:44 PM
No offense, but Madonna looks like Sharon Stone to me. Nice work otherwise.

dave_baer
11-08-2003, 05:56 PM
You go Leigh! Keep pluggin away! :D:D

mickatt
11-08-2003, 06:17 PM
that's great

I really like madonna rendering

I think that manson seems too old

Gojira
11-08-2003, 11:08 PM
:buttrock: Exelant for me Manson is the best, Very nice caricature...why there fingers are blured ?? :p

leigh
11-10-2003, 12:59 AM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgnetworks.com/images/cgchoice_award.gif

Great work!

xtrm3d
11-10-2003, 09:52 AM
hhehee..
yeeepppeee
i would be the first !!
deaar pi3141

congratulation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:buttrock: :buttrock: :beer:

GFX-Arts
11-10-2003, 10:41 AM
I think the best is the Marilyn Manson Picture. :)

Great work.

Sorry for my bad english!

DoLeeP
11-10-2003, 07:06 PM
lol u made mj old lol
heh I like that
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

charithmax
11-11-2003, 07:45 AM
cool work man!!:thumbsup:

i really like it!

mactabilis
11-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Im sorry... not as if I can do better, but as far as being charicatures... these are NOT good. If i was just looking at how they are exaggerated, who they look like, based on face. Marilyn Manson is the only one i would identify, and only because of make-up. The features seem almost random compared to what should be exaggerated in order for them to instantly be picked out as that celeb.

Your Madonna looks way more like katherin hepburn
http://webby.umeedu.maine.edu/coehd/sixties/hepburn.gif
Your model looks very slender eyed, mouth is different, you have her a totally non-Madonna protruding chin, nose is wrong..

Manson has a very broad muscular jaw? No.. Marilyn Manson is tall, lanky, with a long slender face, with a pretty prominent forehead... you gave the top of his head a pinhead look, and again.. the nose doesn't look like Manson's.. Manson as a general rule, does not look like tough metalhead badass. Your head-shape is almost flipped vertically from what it should be.

Michael Jackson doesn't have buggy eyes.. or a little small mouth. As someone else said, he looks a lot like stewie from Family Guy... with some ET. Michael Jackson may look like an alien, but from a completely different galaxy to what you drew.

Aside from Michael, they are nice models, but they are in my opinion, bad Caricatures if they don't look like who they are supposed to be to just about everyone, and to me.. these don't.
I don't mean to sound too rude.. but, ya.

Pi3141
11-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Don't bother typing out "Lessons" On caricature to me. I've been trained, and this is my style. Like it or not, I won't change it. I've been doing my style for years, and its proven very successful.

Maybe it makes a crap translation into 3D. Go figure.

As for MJ looking like ET? Well to me he does look like freakin' E.T, that's why I modeled him that way. Caricatures aren't all about how somewhat looks, its also about their personality, and caricturistics, hence "caricatures"

Everyone who does these caricatures, has a different style. There is no right and wrong way to do it like everyone in this thread keeps telling me, so stop trying.

Why is it you can look at 10 different caricatures of the one person and they ALL look different. If theres a right and wrong way, does that mean 9 out of 10 people did it wrong?

Of course not.

lastly, before you pitch in your comment, read the entire thread, I've answered all your questions numerous times before, and hate having to repeat myself each time I justify my work.

This will be my last reply in this thread, I'm utterly sick of not being able to upload an artwork, without having to type out a ****ing novel to justify it every time.

mactabilis
11-28-2003, 03:24 PM
Caricatures can be different, but do you see a caricature of Ross Perot with small ears? No.

I would really like to see your 2d Caricatures, because yes, honestly I haven't seen many good 3d caricatures.

Your work should justify itself, don't feel the need to justify; people will critique if you put it in a public Forum.
...especially when you state the following:

Just because a work is posted in the Finished gallery, doesn't mean it can't be critiqued. Thank you

Hey pump out the critism by all means, I love hearing of ways to improve. The way I see it, if someone is going to take the time to reply and make suggestions, good or bad. They already like your work

I think my critiques were pretty reasonable.

cuse
11-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by mactabilis

I think my critiques were pretty reasonable.

No dude, i think you need to be giving some respect to Pi3141. He's done a great job at capturing the characteristics and as he says its his style.

cuse

mactabilis
11-28-2003, 04:19 PM
I said I thought the models were nice, but like others, I do disagree that he really captured the characteristics.

Pi3141
11-28-2003, 06:32 PM
I don't mean to sound too rude.. but, ya.

I don't mind you not liking the caricatures, but don't dare stand here and tell me I did them "Wrong'

I've said it before, there is no right and wrong, and I post my work and people critique my renders, my textures, my models, my lighting so be it... but for you to stand here and tell me I've done it wrong?. How dare you.

mactabilis
11-28-2003, 07:29 PM
I apologize. I didn't mean that as a whole you did them "wrong". The only time i said, and meant "wrong", was when i was when i was talking about Madonna's nose. I just meant, as far as the types of noses, Madonna seemed to have the wrong one.

The models are very nice, they are rendered well, the textures fit perfectly. Artistically they have their own style, which is a good thing. My only critique was that the features seemed "wrong" in the way of being mismatched in accordance to the person. Now although you definitely have artistic liberties, when you're dealing with certain subjects, caricatures of people, I feel that if someone draws them so that they don't have similar facial features to that celebrity, that they are erroneous to an extent.

Caricatures used in comics are to exaggerate, often to make fun of, the way celebrities look, and it's very important that a comic character immediately looks like the person, or else the purpose is lost. I'm just in that mindset.

If you have a target, a person that you didn't create, and you give them incongruent features, i feel that is wrong, and even then, that's only my opinion. I feel it's wrong.

edit: For example, If you made Madonna a man with three legs, that would be wrong, or if you made Michael Jackson black, that would be wrong (:p )

But, I do think you did a good job with the characters... and I don't mean to persuade you to stop or anything. I am just critiquing the things i think could be better in your future work.

Wiro
11-29-2003, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by cuse
No dude, i think you need to be giving some respect to Pi3141. He's done a great job at capturing the characteristics and as he says its his style.

I need to chime in as a mod here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you have no right to tell people that they "need to be giving" the artist respect if they differ from your opinion.

Repsectless would be "you suck"
mactibilis posted two long posts on his views and one should respect the time he took.

Good job Pisong, i know translating 2d charicaturs into 3d is not easy.

Wiro

cuse
12-02-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Wiro
you have no right to tell people that they "need to be giving" the artist respect Wiro

I disagree, everytime you click reply in these forums at the top of the page it has guidlines, with Numero Uno in part:- 'Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others.'

i dont think he did, refering to, let say this comment:-
Originally posted by mactabilis
but as far as being charicatures... these are NOT good.

I wont comment again cause i think this thread deserves better, just defending my own comments. No disrespect either to Wiro, i appreciate your refereeing. ;)

cuse

mrtprodz
12-19-2003, 02:17 PM
sweet ;) M.Jackson scared me but when i looked at the character the second time i finally conclude that it was a good charicature.. :cool: who's bad?

AVTPro
12-19-2003, 10:02 PM
First two are AWESOME in resemblance. I like the Madona pose the best. Keep up the great work.

saygon
12-22-2003, 01:00 AM
manson look definetly the best from this three. planing to do some more?

Cod
12-23-2003, 06:57 PM
I absolutely love the Marilyn Manson one.

killeratti
12-24-2003, 02:44 AM
gr8 work man,do u plan do do an animation outta these models?

yq13328858
07-14-2004, 08:58 AM
great charichature:bounce: :applause:

CLR
07-14-2004, 07:35 PM
Your best one is not displayed, but on your web page gallery and its that of mike tyson.

yq13328858
07-20-2004, 04:40 PM
I love the style

Lioness9
12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
I would like to know if I could get a copy of 3D Madonna model?

Sincelery,

Lioness9

http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/50550/caricatures_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/50550/caricatures.jpg)

These are three of the 3D Caricatures I have completed recently.

Rigging done by T4D (Peter Thomas of www.thomas4d.com (http://www.thomas4d.com/))

powerdan
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, i liked a lot, Madonna and Manson looks like MTV Celebrity Deathmatch style, i love your caricature version.

The MJ caricature, i dont like it, looks like a freak old Man... ...wait a minute MJ ITS a freaking old man... in this case its a VERY GOOD CARICATURE! :P lol...

Congrats!, hope you can post someday these characters Animated...

Sorry, my english, its not very good. :P

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 02:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.