PDA

View Full Version : Most under used tool in Lightwave?

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 05:55 PM
I say Taper.

Carm3D
11-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Eagle in a barrel

Mattoo
11-06-2003, 06:07 PM
lw7manual.pdf

and

Flay.com

Also, slightly more in the spirit of the thread the keyboard . I was recently surprised as to how many people don't use the "Alt" key to pan and orbit in the viewports. They use the little icons in the corner - you might aslwell go and use MAX! :hmm:

KillMe
11-06-2003, 06:20 PM
reason i sue the little icons is that the orbit algorythm sucks why not sue the same one as the button uses its much more user friendly

Locutus
11-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Mattoo
lw7manual.pdf

and

Flay.com

Also, slightly more in the spirit of the thread the keyboard . I was recently surprised as to how many people don't use the "Alt" key to pan and orbit in the viewports. They use the little icons in the corner - you might aslwell go and use MAX! :hmm:

I use the ALT key to pan and rotate my views in LW. I can't stand using those stupid little controls at the top of the viewports.

AND, for your info, 3dsmax also uses the ALT and CTRL keys for panning, rotating, and zooming views.

proton
11-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm always shocked to hear how many people don't use Spin Quad....

telamon
11-06-2003, 06:44 PM
there are many tools in modeler that I have never ever used. e.g. pole, seashell, precise paste...

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Quick eyelash using taper and bend.

http://projectcoil.dyndns.org/eyelash.gif

CIM
11-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Most ppl. only use about 20% of the tools in Modeler 99% of the time.

I almost never use Spin Quads, since it's way to local and not exactly predictable (not as predicatable as I like, anway). :)

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
I use Spin Quads and Spin Poly-pair. If Spin Poly-Pair worked in symmetry mode I would be over joyed, but since it doesn't it's a pain in the arse switching modes all the time. :shrug:

telamon
11-06-2003, 08:37 PM
projectcoil ==> personnally, I do not care loosing symmetry while modelling. I often use the PMirror plugin which fixes everything for me.

Sometimes I even forget to switch back to symmetry mode :D

little5points
11-06-2003, 08:38 PM
seashell

LittleFenris
11-06-2003, 08:49 PM
I was recently surprised as to how many people don't use the "Alt" key to pan and orbit in the viewports. They use the little icons in the corner - you might aslwell go and use MAX! :hmm:

Holy crap, are you serious?! :banghead: I use the alt key ALL the time...I would HATE using those stupid icons all the time...what a PITA.

sebek27
11-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I would HATE using those stupid icons all the time...what a PITA.

actually when i used the max demo, i had it keyed to other keys on the keyboard, so you don't have to use those icons at all :thumbsup:

proton
11-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by CIM

I almost never use Spin Quads, since it's way to local and not exactly predictable (not as predicatable as I like, anway). :)

If you use Spin Quads enuff it becomes very predicactable....IMHO

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by telamon
projectcoil ==> personnally, I do not care loosing symmetry while modelling. I often use the PMirror plugin which fixes everything for me.

Sometimes I even forget to switch back to symmetry mode :D

I almost always keep symmetry on once I get to a certain point, but hey everyone is does things differently. :shrug:

I would like to know who have used Julienne in a real application though.

LittleFenris
11-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by proton

Once I learned wtf that tool did, I use it quite often modeling characters now. :buttrock:

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 08:59 PM
For fixing poly flow I use:

Spin Quads, Spikey, Triple, and Merge Polys.

For roughing out shapes I use:

Pen Tool, Draw Splines, and Extender.

Everything else:

Move, rotate, scale. :D

proton
11-06-2003, 09:25 PM
can u give some examples of using Spikey for this....I never really use it...EVER :)

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Will do, gimme a minute, or ten. :D

Mattoo
11-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Locutus
I use the ALT key to pan and rotate my views in LW. I can't stand using those stupid little controls at the top of the viewports.

AND, for your info, 3dsmax also uses the ALT and CTRL keys for panning, rotating, and zooming views.

You must be using some magical (good for something) version of MAX. Any version I've ever tried didn't use the Alt key for any of that - Maya does however.

KillMe
11-06-2003, 10:20 PM
dont knwo about anyone else but i never found a use for plot1d and plot2d

Julez4001
11-06-2003, 10:30 PM
CLT-ALT and LMB< RMB< MMB to use the hotbox menus.

Can't this be customizable.
I would use it all the time but to hit two keys touse it ridiculous...make customizable PLEASE for bothlayout and Modeler. then i would get rid of my menus.:) :beer:

Halsu
11-06-2003, 10:33 PM
I think the most used modeling tools for me (apart from my own plugins ;-) are bevel and smooth shift - i use them almost always when i need to add geometry.

I sometimes use spikey as an alternative to tripling polys - excellent i.e. for cylinder ends. More often than not, i use Julienne to give polygon detail to a 2D shape so that i can bend etc. distort it. The mesh looks ugly, yes, but who cares, it usually renders fine ;-)

projectcoil
11-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Fixing edge flow.

http://projectcoil.dyndns.org/spikey.gif

Locutus
11-07-2003, 01:20 AM
You must be using some magical (good for something) version of MAX. Any version I've ever tried didn't use the Alt key for any of that - Maya does however.
Nope no magic, you just didn't know which key/button combo to use:
ALT+middle mouse button = view rotate
CTRL+ALT+middle mouse button = view zoom/dolly
middle mouse button = view pan
scroll wheel = view zoom/dolly

3dsmax has had them at least since version 3.1
In fact, when I started using LW, I immediately looked for it's viewport navigation short cuts as well and was pleasently surprised when I found them.
:thumbsup:

oxyg3n
11-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by projectcoil
Fixing edge flow.

http://projectcoil.dyndns.org/spikey.gif

Are you just using spikey to make triandges and then merge them into quadrangles? Ane then spinning quads?

BAROBA
11-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Projectcoil, thanks for the spikey tip :)
I had this plugin in 7.5 that did what spikey does on cilinders, dividing the end polys into triangles. But with the 7.5b upgrade it stopped working. That was a PITA, I can tell you :)
So thanks, that is a usefull technique that I learned today :)

Fasty
11-07-2003, 09:16 AM
I'd love to use Julienne, especially for slicing up text for bending. However I just can't get it to work! Has anyone else had a problem of Julienne slicing up a 2d object on the z axis?

Mattoo
11-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Locutus
Nope no magic, you just didn't know which key/button combo to use:
ALT+middle mouse button = view rotate
CTRL+ALT+middle mouse button = view zoom/dolly
middle mouse button = view pan
scroll wheel = view zoom/dolly

3dsmax has had them at least since version 3.1
In fact, when I started using LW, I immediately looked for it's viewport navigation short cuts as well and was pleasently surprised when I found them.
:thumbsup:

Ah, we weren't using 3 button mice so that explains the missing functionality.
Cheers, I'll remember that next time someone makes me use it, that'll make it a little more bearable.

fellah
11-07-2003, 10:33 AM
the 'shear' tool, very nice one. maybe not for organic characters.. but buildings, vehicles etc.. and definitely 'spinQuads' as pointed out earlier, amazing tool!

rickycox
11-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Spikey is often mis-understood, the name gives you the impression that it's good for creating spikes. I find it good for capping 6 or 8 sided disks to convert to a subPatch.

The second Paste Tool, Sketch Color for creating selection sets, The Rove Tool doesn't seem to get used much, the Bevel Tools 'Outer Bevel' setting (haven't found a use for that one), I think Router often gets over looked.

chikega
11-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Has any one ever used the Rove Tool?

Nemoid
11-07-2003, 01:10 PM
I was going to add the Rove tool as the tool I never used.

I'm so used to use move, rotate and stretch, that..:shrug:

LittleFenris
11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
What does the Rove tool do?

I would have to agree that the Seashell tool isn't used much at all, but in that rare occasion you might need it, it would be nice to have...instead of having to try to figure out how to model the seashell from scratch if you don't have the time.

proton
11-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Not a fan of teh Rove tool...I got excited when I first used it but found it was easier to hit "t" and "y".

rickycox
11-07-2003, 01:33 PM
You can create some funky text FX with the seashell tool, it's not just for making seashells :)

LittleFenris
11-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by riki
You can create some funky text FX with the seashell tool, it's not just for making seashells :)

Can you post an example?! :D

Para
11-07-2003, 01:55 PM
To answer the original question; most under Additional. I now started to look thru them and...well, for example SpinIt feels useless because of radial array.:shrug:

rickycox
11-07-2003, 02:03 PM
I'm not a big fan of 'Radial Array', I prefer to use the Radial Option in the 'Array Tool'. The main reason is becuase Radial Array doesn't respect your selection, it effects all geometry in the layer regardless of what you have selected. This can be a hidden killer, if your not aware that it's happening. Run it a few times and then watch your poly count blow out.

projectcoil
11-07-2003, 02:23 PM
I think Rove is like Motate. :D

rickycox
11-07-2003, 02:31 PM
My Zeashell :)

projectcoil
11-07-2003, 02:39 PM
My Zeashell :)

That's nice riki. :buttrock:

Aimes
11-07-2003, 02:40 PM
this is a noob question but i just got LW7 a few days ago and i hate the move and rotate icons.. i like the alt lmb and such like in maya to do that.. so my question is how can i customize those buttons?

projectcoil
11-07-2003, 02:53 PM
Alt to rotate, Shirft-Alt to Pan, and Ctrl-Alt to zoom.
Hope that answers your question.

Para
11-07-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm not a big fan of 'Radial Array', I prefer to use the Radial Option in the 'Array Tool'. The main reason is becuase Radial Array doesn't respect your selection, it effects all geometry in the layer regardless of what you have selected. This can be a hidden killer, if your not aware that it's happening. Run it a few times and then watch your poly count blow out.

:blush:

After my last post I found out that there is a whole different tool called "radial array" - of course I was talking about Array Tool's Radial Options.

So, we have one good array tool and a bunch of more or less sucky ones. :p

W Wade
11-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Spiky can turn a box top into a roof thus a box into a house - a usefull tool in my trade.

oxyg3n
11-07-2003, 06:26 PM
I never thought of using spikey for roof tops, that is a good idea.

MattClary
11-07-2003, 07:02 PM
I turn off the title bars on my modeler viewports, they waste space. I LIVE with one hand on ALT and CTRL.

Aimes
11-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by projectcoil
Alt to rotate, Shirft-Alt to Pan, and Ctrl-Alt to zoom.
Hope that answers your question.

Rei Ayanami
11-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Ohh i dont know, i would say I never use the 'Close' tool, i just mess around and it goes away, all by itself (plus hammer!)

Seriously I guess i dont use Symtry much, i dont make symetrical models!

Limbus
11-07-2003, 10:37 PM
I vote for the teapot tool. Of course the Gemstone Tool is also a hot candidate in my book. :buttrock:

Florian

projectcoil
11-07-2003, 10:48 PM
I didn't know there was a teapot tool. :hmm:

madrenderman
11-07-2003, 11:01 PM
during many hours of lw teaching, i observe that many people often not use or not understand completely these tools

bgconform : very useful tool to align point of foreground to background obj, very powerful to build and align point before welding, greats to build proportional shape on subdivision, and more.
Exist a bgconform plus, a free and more parametrized version of this tools.

Bezier tools : try to use it with 1 point subdivision, and you find a good line pen (not like pen which build a closed poly, but a real profile build with a two point curve).

aligner i don't stop to tell how is confortable to align different objs between themself

spline guide to deform, bend, in realtime obj by a spline build in modeler, or directly deformed

router a confortable multibevel tools, it allow you to smooth angle by many bevel with defined edge width and depth.

drill and solid drill too often is more simple use drill to proiect curve or other profile on surface to cut and model it, but many people ignore the existece of this tools.

bandglue to merge a poly loop, it work at inverse of bandsaw

control point of spline which allow the user to modify the shape of curve with extreme points of spline.

make uv map which stand for "assign uv map coordinates" this tools is very useful be cause with it you can add new poly and point s coordinates on existing uv. this mean you can build a good ov spread on UV square step by step.

selection set useful point selection which you can recall and use for selection by statistic panel

part a polygon selection very useful to have a different kind of selection which you can recall from statistic, but which you can use which complex tools like motion designer to assign parameters, or with sasquatch (full version) to assign different parameter.

expand & contract expand and contract selection, very useful, try it and stop to use.

and the list can be neverend, i quote only modeler but also for layout, the list can be inifinite, and if i start with free plug...
o god.
i hope this help someone to learn more

SplineGod
11-08-2003, 07:21 AM
The manual :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.