PDA

View Full Version : softimage CAT

luisRiera
09-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Hi, I have read that 3ds Max CAT tools come from Softimage? I would like to know how much of this is true because 3ds Max CAT are really easy to set up and comes with a walk designer, wich I havent seen in XSI.

bottleofram
09-25-2011, 10:00 AM
CAT was indeed developed by Softimage team, however be aware that Softimage was once a company developing all sorts of software solutions and one of those was an animation plugin for 3dsMax you are talking about. When softimage was bought by Autodesk, they combined technologies like XSI and Facerobot into one entity (Autodesk Softimage). That doesnt mean CAT was ever a part of this particular package (nor can it be because software development rarely works like lego toys).

Im not a Max user so i cant tell you if there is an equivalent to walk designer inside Softimage. If you would care to explain, maybe we can clarify that as well.

3dtutorial
09-25-2011, 02:23 PM
CAT was indeed developed by Softimage team, however be aware that Softimage was once a company developing all sorts of software solutions and one of those was an animation plugin for 3dsMax you are talking about. When softimage was bought by Autodesk, they combined technologies like XSI and Facerobot into one entity (Autodesk Softimage). That doesnt mean CAT was ever a part of this particular package (nor can it be because software development rarely works like lego toys).

Im not a Max user so i cant tell you if there is an equivalent to walk designer inside Softimage. If you would care to explain, maybe we can clarify that as well.

Sorry but this is not correct.

CAT was developed by an independent company developer first (Philip Taylor), it was not initially developed by the Softimage team.

Soon after it was offered as a plug-in for 3DS Max only.

After a few years, Softimage offered the developer a job and as part of the deal acquired the rights to the tool, which they kept selling and marketing... for 3DS Max -- NOT Softimage.

CAT was never a tool for Softimage, it was always for 3DS max.

The developer of CAT did work for Softimage/Avid but eventually left the company... before Avid sold Softimage to Autodesk.

When Softimage was sold to Autodesk the rights to CAT reverted to Autodesk, so they acquired the plug-in, integrated into 3DS Max and have continued to develop it since.

And there you have it :-)

Regards,

Joe

luisRiera
09-25-2011, 03:11 PM
The walk designer and CAT tools works like this: (this is from tutorials so I dont know its full potential)

- You create a rig from a lot of presets or from scratch (from scratch is very easy and from presets you have aliens, crabs, dinosaurs, man, angels, etc to choose from)
- You apply a modifier to skin the character, and then you enter into the "motion" panel, where you animate the character, you can apply a preset for automatic walking, you pick a path and a terrain and voila, you have a character walking on a surface in minutes.

Im not trying to sale 3ds Max here, or to draw comparisons to wich software is better. I was hoping XSI had something similar because that will help a lot with my every day work.

I found this on you tube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPqHW6JREH4 (you can modify the size of the bones, and the animation of the different parts of the skeleton, plus you can create one from scratch)

Thanks for the answers, that explain why I found a lot of references between Softimage and CAT. If someone knows a quick way or a plug in in XSI I would really appreciate it.

3dtutorial
09-25-2011, 05:14 PM
The walk designer and CAT tools works like this: (this is from tutorials so I dont know its full potential)

- You create a rig from a lot of presets or from scratch (from scratch is very easy and from presets you have aliens, crabs, dinosaurs, man, angels, etc to choose from)
- You apply a modifier to skin the character, and then you enter into the "motion" panel, where you animate the character, you can apply a preset for automatic walking, you pick a path and a terrain and voila, you have a character walking on a surface in minutes.

Im not trying to sale 3ds Max here, or to draw comparisons to wich software is better. I was hoping XSI had something similar because that will help a lot with my every day work.

I found this on you tube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPqHW6JREH4 (you can modify the size of the bones, and the animation of the different parts of the skeleton, plus you can create one from scratch)

Thanks for the answers, that explain why I found a lot of references between Softimage and CAT. If someone knows a quick way or a plug in in XSI I would really appreciate it.

I think possibly the GEAR system for Softimage could be helpful for you.

http://jeremiepasserin.com/gear/

It's an awesome rigging system. It does take a bit to set it up, but once you've done so, I think you will find it a very robust solution.

Cheers,

Joe

bottleofram
09-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Sorry but this is not correct.

CAT was developed by an independent company developer first (Philip Taylor), it was not initially developed by the Softimage team.

Soon after it was offered as a plug-in for 3DS Max only.

After a few years, Softimage offered the developer a job and as part of the deal acquired the rights to the tool, which they kept selling and marketing... for 3DS Max -- NOT Softimage.

CAT was never a tool for Softimage, it was always for 3DS max.

The developer of CAT did work for Softimage/Avid but eventually left the company... before Avid sold Softimage to Autodesk.

When Softimage was sold to Autodesk the rights to CAT reverted to Autodesk, so they acquired the plug-in, integrated into 3DS Max and have continued to develop it since.

And there you have it :-)

Regards,

Joe
Ah, my apologies than, i stand corrected in regard of the original developer. The rest stands thought, as i pretty much said the same thing - it was always a max tool, never a part of xsi/softimage.

The closest workflow would indeed be through GEAR (as far as i know). It allows a user to reuse various rig templates but you will find it a bit more technical than CAT. Atm, it offers horse, dog, chicken and human biped templates. You can create your own or import custom maid ones easily (if someone shared than online).

Than, you would tag a rig with MOTOR and from that point on use motion files to animate the rig. One thing lacking would be "conforming to terrain" feature. Ive seen people use ICE to achieve this but that would probably not be as straight forward as you would like.

Cheers

ThE_JacO
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Good write-up Joe.
Only correction: I'm quite positive Phil left after the acquisition, and not before.

As an addendum, since people asked before, no, Phil never had any plans to port CAT to Soft, nor I believe he was hired for that.

He was "over it" (take this with a large handful of salt) and wanted to do other things, which turned out to be his considerable efforts on the character side of things for ICE and some user feedback loop management during the ICE kine beta times.

3dtutorial
09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Good write-up Joe.
Only correction: I'm quite positive Phil left after the acquisition, and not before.

Hi!

Not to my recollection. As I recall he left "shortly" before the acquisition. I remember this clearly because I was very concerned by his leaving at the time.

Then again I am old and my memory is not what it used to be... LOL!

Cheers M8,

Joe

xsisupport
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi!

Not to my recollection. As I recall he left "shortly" before the acquisition. I remember this clearly because I was very concerned by his leaving at the time.

Then again I am old and my memory is not what it used to be... LOL!

Cheers M8,

Joe
He left shortly after the acquisition

3dtutorial
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
He left shortly after the acquisition

I stand corrected :-)

Cheers,

Joe

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.