PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Fail

Broke9207
09-23-2011, 05:34 AM
My university animation teacher in action. Anybody wanna show me how to rig an arm?

http://vimeo.com/29463491

Syndicate
10-24-2011, 03:40 AM
Not so much a tutorial fail, its more a case of not editing the tutorial video itself.
Even professionals screw things up, all it takes is a late night and no coffee :)

I'm surprised they still do the "button press" approach. I never show this kind of stuff when doing my classes. Show the concepts, but leave the step by step to the students.
This is why you have bookmark scenes where you can skip parts that have a chance of not working.

Broke9207
10-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I'd have preferred knowing the rules to trying to mimic his (convoluted) steps.

These tutorials left a class in the dust.. was hoping to see what the industry thought of them before I committed another year to the same school. Used to be you got a lecture full of info then a tutorial to help you with any bits you might not have digested. We're moving at a faster pace, we get a series of lectures on modelling then a series of tutorials on rigging that leave us well confused. Then we go to YouTube, or now CG Talk. Very little face time to sort it out - it's learning the hard way.

Not to put it all on the teacher tho - he's got his own set of pressures. No doubt he's teaching the hard way.

Thanks for your feedback.

Syndicate
10-25-2011, 09:17 AM
No problem. I totally understand what you mean.
I have to admit that I dont exactly follow the lesson plans but only because I know that 80% of whats on them is either outdated/irrelevant or up to the student to to learn because it requires repetition and hours upon hours of training (like character modelling/texturing etc).
As you said there is too much covered in a classroom for a new student to absorb properly given the time and pace.
There have been quite a few discussions here about teaching standards/practices and in general the problems with tertiary education in cg. Luckily when I do have my masterclasses/lectures I get to teach what I want because I'm from the industry, other lecturers dont have that luxury if they dont have a good portfolio of work to backup their teaching abilities.

I would consider using your classes as a source of Q&A. If the lecturer is not able to answer your questions (within reason) then you are at the wrong university.

Make some friends and work on a project together. Put your soul into your showreel as its worth more than the degree will ever be (as statistics show).

Lastly, share this with your classmates and even your lecturers. Its honestly one of the best reads around.

"The Core Skills of VFX"
http://www.skillset.org/animation/qualifications/article_8377_1.asp

Broke9207
10-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks Jon - will do.

3DMadness
11-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Even the most experienced guy makes mistakes, but this guy need some editing software ASAP! :D

Ohmanoggin
12-14-2011, 04:35 PM
This isn't really a tutorial or a lecture. It is a just a someone rigging part of an arm, with screen capture on.

No one could follow this if they didn't already know what he was doing, and if they did- they would find it useless too. He doesn't even explain what the purpose of the tutorial is.

Ohmanoggin

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2011, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.