PDA

View Full Version : crop image texture file photo in maya

RickToxik
09-22-2011, 04:20 AM
Hi... I'm not sure I remember correctly, but wasn't there an option to crop the texture in 3DS Max? Is there no miracle script-o-plugin that could allow me to do the same in maya? God it would be SO useful!

MasonDoran
09-23-2011, 08:29 PM
there is no crop in Maya, but a lot of possibilities in the 2d placement node.

RickToxik
09-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Well well well...

That has to be the first thing I hear you CAN'T do in Maya lol!!

Sad though! Thanks!

InfernalDarkness
09-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Cropping would be an image texture file function, and would affect the texture file itself (properly). Instead, you have a non-destructive internal way to do it, using UV mapping or the place2D texturing node, or projections if you prefer. All of these will produce the same effect without actually damaging your image file. I "crop" images all the time this way, such as backdrops outside bathroom windows, or skies behind my forests...

Hamburger
09-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Just press the edit button on the texture and it'll launch your photo editing software. Probably a much better option than Maya itself if were able to crop to be honest.

If you have the texture as a PSD and photoshop, instead of cropping you can just hide the area so you never actually lose the crop.

RickToxik
09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
No but in this old Max version (no idea how it is today), you could open up your image, and move the corners of a dotted box so you were choosing your cropping in real-time. Then you saw in realtime -all in 3Ds Max- what result your cropping was giving on your object. It was totally non-destructive, and very handy at the same time.

Hamburger
10-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Hmm, the way you describe it sounds interesting. I used Max for a number of years (started with 4.2) but obviously missed this one!

berniebernie
10-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Well well well...

That has to be the first thing I hear you CAN'T do in Maya lol!!

Sad though! Thanks!

If you really wanted to go full retard maya, you could install PIL (python image library) module and then code/grab a cropper.

Or if on a windows machine (I'm not too sure about other OSs) use imconvert.exe (located in the /bin folder of the maya install dir) to do pixel work (resizing, cropping etc...)

But honestly that's a pain in the butt if it's just for a few images. But maya can do it. :twisted:

RickToxik
10-03-2011, 05:20 AM
use imconvert.exe (located in the /bin folder of the maya install dir) to do pixel work (resizing, cropping etc...)

Wouldn't that be destructive editing? If it is, it would evade the point which is to keep the original file and tweak it several times on the fly, while seeing the effect on your model. I suggested the feature at Autodesk. In Max the function was in the window where you see the file you are using as a texture and then you just had to adjust the cropping box, and check the cropping box to see the effect.

In maya I can adjust the UVs in the texture editor which has quite the same effect, it's like working from the other way around, like a inverse process I guess. But I think it's not as intuitive, but I must admit that I am a big time impotent regarding uvs concepts.

Hmm, the way you describe it sounds interesting. I used Max for a number of years (started with 4.2) but obviously missed this one!

Yeah Hamburger, you would have loved this feature, I am positive that it was in a Max version from the last century. Hmmm or maybe from the beginning of the present millenium XD
(I believe I was playing around with 3Ds Max 5 -if that software ever existed- man it's been a long time for me...)

you could install PIL (python image library) module and then code/grab a cropper.

The python library looks cool but it seems it was not made for 64 bit systems... I am ignorant in python too so I think I'll just try to work my way around I guess!

RickToxik
10-03-2011, 05:30 AM
you have a non-destructive internal way to do it, using UV mapping or the place2D texturing node, or projections if you prefer. All of these will produce the same effect without actually damaging your image file. I "crop" images all the time this way, such as backdrops outside bathroom windows, or skies behind my forests...

I feel dumb to ask this, but can you be more specific about your cropping process? Because, man, I've got nodes all over the place here... XD

Serious, you mean like with the "coverage" values in the place2d node?

InfernalDarkness
10-03-2011, 05:33 AM
No, I meant using the place2Dtexture node alone. You project it onto your plane, then scale it up however you like.

For example, say you're doing a background plate (poly plane) of a sky or something, distant backdrop. But say in the photo you want to use, there's some man-made structures or birds or something in one corner you don't want to see in your render at all? Then you just scale the image's place2Dtexture node to project your image accordingly. It's reversible, undoable, and doesn't damage your image file.

Just the easiest possible option, really. No need to open Photoshop.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2011, 05:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.