PDA

View Full Version : making textures from photo's

kwshipman
06-08-2002, 03:24 AM
Some basic questions.

First of all when developing pictures that will be scanned into textures, how big should the picture be? Is bigger better or can you get enough detail out of a 4x6.

When scanning a picture, what resolution should I use.

I will be getting my own scanner soon what kind of features do I need. It will be mainly for scanning textures. Has anyone used one of thoes scanners that has a adapter to scan negatives, and if so how well does it work?

JayHFD
06-08-2002, 09:09 AM
Did you know that most photo developers will put all of your images on cd for you? Youd have to ask them what sort of resolution they will do, but it doesn't cost a huge amount.

In terms of what resolution you need, that all depends on what you are using it for. If you are using a texture of a window on a building that is taking up a tenth of your screen for a 800X600 render, it wouldn't have to be very high at all. But if you had a window ledge with an ant walking over it, and the ant was full screen at 1600X1200, youd have to use a very high resolution image. You should easily get enough resolution out of a 35mm neg (unless you are trying to use a tiny portion of that image for very high resolution textures).

In regard to neg scanners, you can get consumer grade models for around the $1000-2000 mark.

Jay

LucentDreams
06-08-2002, 04:50 PM
I have a scanner capable of negative scanning and it cost me $290 canadian, its an HP and works great.

kwshipman
06-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the help. I am in the middle of reading Digital Texturing & Painting, and found a chapter that deals with what resolution to use. Maybee I should wait untill I am done with the book before I ask questions.:thumbsup:

kwshipman
06-11-2002, 08:02 PM
Okay, here is a question that I didn't see in the book. I have some photos that I want to use as textures, but I need to make a bump to match them.

What is the best way to do this? I can post some examples when I get home of what I want to use, if that would be helpful.

kwshipman
06-12-2002, 01:59 AM
Here is a portion of the image that I am using

Wiro
06-12-2002, 09:42 AM
That shouldn't be too hard. First of all make it greyscale (makes it easier to judge heights) The red is darker than the blue so the bump will be wrong so just invert the colors.
Now the red inside the rhombuses (the rusty stuff) will have the same height as the lines since they have the same intensity. Since the pattern is quite simple you could just make a new layer, set it to Screen mode, pick a mid grey tone and paint those lines in by hand. Then use the transparency slider to get the right look. Play around with the levels of the other layer too until you have it right.

Wiro

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.