PDA

View Full Version : Modeling techniques

TotalVoid
09-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Good evening, CGSociety! Recently I posted 1 theme about cinematic creation and for now I totally understand that I should digg in modeling first. So, at the moment my method is pretty simple, I even think this one is the simpliest. I mostly use primitive boxes, playing with vertexes and just add more tris using Edge loop tool/Cut tool. Pretty easy, right, but is it the best way or it depends on what is more convinient for you? I'm just afraid that I'm doing something wrong. Thank you.

Psyk0
09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
"Box modeling" is a valid way of modeling, it's like a sculptor would approach clay in real life, it helps define the general shape and volume of objects quickly, then you refine until you are happy with the details.

Personally, i've always preferred "edge modeling" for detailed meshes. With this technique you are diving straight into edgeloops, sometimes it's helpful to do a quick blockout mesh /spline cage to visualize proportions and then get to work. You basically start with a single polygon and trace your way around the model.

http://vimeo.com/10941211

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v4199970Rcyp2cfj

TotalVoid
09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Thank you a lot! I'll check these links! But... what about edge modeling? It seems to me, that vertexes give you much more capabilities.

Psyk0
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Vertices simply control the placement of polygons in space, by edge modeling i'm referring to the actual method but like you said, moving verts around is still needed to give you even more control.

In 3d studio max, you select 1 edge, hold down shift and move the mouse, this will extrude polygons instantly, giving you unlimited control over edgeloops and it's quite fast to create detailed meshes. The technique is used in both videos above.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.