PDA

View Full Version : SubPatch Cage Question

IMarshal
01-19-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm just now learning LW 7 so please bear with me.

I was playing with the Subpatch command to create a net Engine. So... now I have this nice smooth engine but I want to insert some rectangular cover plates via geometry (not texture).

The problem is, when I modify the original geometry, turn off subpatch for now, and then turn subpatch back on - the coverplates get patched as well. I'd like them to remain as hard rectangles.

I even selected all the polygons in the mesh except for the coverplate rectangles and it still doesn't look right. Any ideas?

Thanks
IMarshal

Rabid pitbull
01-19-2002, 02:07 PM
Well You could use two seperate parts. If it is a must that it all be one piece you could adjust the subpatch vmap for those points you want square.

-Just a side note the selected polygons are all that become subdivided when you hit tab. Of course if you select certain points/polys to be sub-d and not others of the same object you will get seperation.

Chewey
01-19-2002, 03:03 PM
Use seperate layers for your geometry and only turn on subd's for the layers you want it used on.

Or, if you don't understand the layers concept yet, use a single layer but select only the polys of the item that you want to have subds set on to and then hit tab. The polys that were unselected will remain in the regular polygonal state.

I'd use the layer method, more control expecially if you have lots of seperate geometry items to deal with.

da_duke
01-19-2002, 04:35 PM
you can use weightmaps to change the strength of the subpatch on different areas. with this method you have a complete model on one layer and can change the hardness of corners and such things. another way is it to add more polies around corners or high detailed areas.

minus
01-19-2002, 10:27 PM
da_duke knows...
If you knife where you want an edge.. then knife right next to that one it sharpens your curves. Weightmaps rock aswell. Getting comfortable with layers is a must.... and alows you to work in 4 dimentions.. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.