PDA

View Full Version : DF and DFX+ 4.03a patch released

David Wyand
11-05-2003, 11:18 PM
Greetings!

A new patch to DF and DFX+ has just been released: 4.03a. This fixes the problems that were in the recent 4.03 patch, and Eyeon is recommending that everyone download this.

Here's a summary from the pigsfly list:

FUSION 4.03a NOW AVAILABLE
---------------------------------------------------------------------
** this document uses the term Fusion to refer to both Digital Fusion
and DFX+ **

Changes made between 4.03 and 4.03a can be found beneath my signature
at the bottom of this email. If you have DF 4.0 please update
immediately to 4.03a.

Fusion 4.03a is now available for download. This is a maintenance patch
to address general usability and stability issues. We strongly
recommend this update for all users of Fusion and the DF Render Node.

In addition to correcting many bugs discovered in Fusion since our last
update, this release also introduces significant new functionality.
The new 'Selective Update' feature vastly improves the responsiveness
of large and slow flows, 'Path Mapping' allows you to employ virtual
paths and even environment variables instead of filenames, and we can
now read DPS files in software, to name just a few of the new features.

Fusion 4.03a also contains vast improvements in the amount of memory
used by Fusion, greatly improving stability under extreme memory
conditions.

Release notes may be found here: http://vixen.eyeonline.com/dfreg/df4_releasenotes_403.html

And here's a sumary of the differences between 4.03 and 4.03a for those that already downloaded the 4.03 patch:

BETWEEN 4.03 AND 4.03a
---------------------------------------------------------------------
DF 4.03a was released immediately after DF 4.03 to correct an issue with
Masks that we felt was too broad too ignore. Access to the DF 4.03 patch
was removed, and that patch is no longer available. The following changes
were made between DF 4.03 and DF 4.03a.

Fixed incorrect (for Windows) forward-slash on end of path in AskDirname()

Added mapping and reverse mapping around path browsing, to get the initial
location correct & final result properly mapped.

Fixed a small memory leak in the memory manager.

Fixed a crash that would occur with area sampling of 16 bit masks.

Loaders containing clip lists now produce transports that allow single file
playback of all the clips in the clip list.

Fixed UV value limiting for YUVA case, which was causing bad UV from float
RGB for Reality/Quattrus.

Fixed a bad end of line in the extra bug report data produced for
QuickTime.

Text+ will properly read font names from DF 4.03 and all earlier versions
now. The DF 4.03 release did not support the Font names used in previous
versions.

Multiframe clips were not properly performing Path Mapping (i.e. Avi
loaders would not load properly when using Flow:\)

Stopped creation of "Default AutoSaves " (note the extra space at the end)
that would get Windows/explorer all upset (it seems to do automatic
stripping of trailing spaces, which makes it impossible to delete a
directory with a trailing space). DF will now create the correct name
(without the space) and will remove the bad directory.

Fixed bug in quick (ie. non-hiq) point sampling of single channel float
images (ie. float masks).

Substantially improved flow load times over DF 4.03.

A small improvement to the method used to smooth polylines.

Implemented Flow specific View preferences.

Fixed problems with fringe gamma (in keyers and Matte Control) on negative
values in float images.

Ctrl-S now selects all points of all active LUT splines.

Fixed a possible lockup case when handling internal events.

Fixed a problem that would cause proxy clips to be loaded extra-proxied
from certain formats.

Fixed a case where transformed results would appear to be the correct size,
but weren't when proxied loaders were used, causing the size of a mask
images to not match the size of the image being masked, causing a crash.
Although this should no longer happed, there is now protection against this
by resizing the mask. Since the problem only occurs when in proxy, it won't
ever affect full renders.

Fixed crash that can occur when trying to access non-existent fonts.

Display View "Save Image..." now deals with path maps.

Fixed a crash that would occur when closing Fusion while a flow with
multiple windows on the same document were open.

Some tweaks to the display of the loading plugins in the Splash screen to
deal with extra long path names.

Fixed a bug when tabbing (cycling) through polylines if the first polyline
in the list of controls is locked.

Fixed a problem that would cause a preview (and its associated transport
controls) to not appear very occasionally if a tool with a preview is
deselected and reselected in quick succession.

Fixed some path mapping issues with audio files.

Fixed a problem writing out 8 bit mono audio into AVI that would produce
"crackling" when played back.

Fixed a crash under some circumstances while scrubbing or playing audio.

Fixed a refresh problem with the Spline and Timeline tree controls.

The range of some sliders (such as Merge's size) were improperly resetting
back to their defaults while dragging, even though a value had been entered
previously to expand the range.

Colour channel sliders always maintain relative positions to the other
channels, meaning that if one channel has an expanded slider range, then
all channels get the expanded slider range.

Fixed deadlock and crash that can occur pasting some combinations of tools.

Fixed a problem maintaining active tool states between multiple document
windows, that was causing on-screen controls for the active tool not to
appear sometimes.

Finally, you may find the patch on Eyeon's site: www.eyeonline.com (http://www.eyeonline.com)

Enjoy!

- Dave

zuzzabuzz
11-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Yay.

I saw mention of DV options (experimental) over on VFXTalk (and also within the pigsfly ..i get the digest)

I look forward to playing around tonight.

zuzzabuzz
11-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Confused. Was this patch for Digital Fusion and DFX+?

First, the .exe updated couldn't find any software installed.

Second, the zip archive contained no updated binary of DFXPlus.exe, so now it's whining that I have 4.03 DLLs but need 4.00 versions.

Going to rummage around some more to see if I overlooked something, but if someone sees my mistake right off the bat...please let me know.

NEVERMIND :blush:
Clicked the wrong link..went to the wrong section. This is what happens when one is excited to download the updates, and doesn't take the time to read.

Kvaalen
11-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Cool! Eyeon creates updates quickly. :)

Thanks for sharing David. :thumbsup:

Ikarus
11-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Anybody noticed that with the 4.03 patch that "Text +" does not work properly with Adobe Typemanager to manage fonts. I don't know how other people manage their fonts, but it seems that using typemanger and sorting your fonts into sets will not let DFX+ recognized or allow you to choose any of the installed fonts. DFX+ only recognizes fonts installed through the default windows menu :hmm: It seems that the new text engine that they updated for "Text +" is what changed the way fonts worked before. I had no problems using typemanager and/or any of the fonts before the 4.03 update.

The only way for DFX+ to recognize all the fonts on my system is by using the legacy "Text" tool:argh:, not the "Text +" tool. Which sucks cause using Adobe typemanager or any font managing tool you have the option of turning sets of fonts on and off, etc. Meaning you don't have to have all those hundreds or thousands of fonts loading up each time you open up a programs, etc. And going from using the "Text +" tool to the plain vanilla "Text" tool is like going from rich to poor.

Anybody else use font managing software like "Adobe Typemanager" and/or has encountered the same problem? I sure hope Eyeon fixes the problem. This is a problem I've only encountered with DFX+ and no other program, and that's with the updated 4.03 patch.....everything worked fine before that. It seems I might have to go back to 4.02 :sad: Bummer.

Jayk2k
11-14-2003, 04:38 PM
First off, be sure to send a copy of this to eyeon tech support... Unless they know about it, they can't fix it... ;)

I believe I have seen this mentioned on the pigsfly mailing list as well, but that could have been from you... :D

No solutions that i'm aware of, but you might try the krokodove text tool as well. It has a few more bells and whistles over the stock Text tool.

Azod
11-14-2003, 06:37 PM
I passed this inquiry along to our tech support team this morning. The response is listed below,

<The Text+ tool was updated to use the FreeType library for some cross-platform issues, and expects all fonts to be contained in the Windows\Fonts folder. Because the Text tool still uses Windows for handling of fonts, that would explain the difference in fonts between the two tools. Since this person is using ATM, I would expect that the fonts are contained outside of that folder. All they would need to do is move the fonts into the windows folder. I've tested this quickly by installing a couple fonts via ATM, and checking in DF and then moving them into the Windows\Fonts folder. The result is as expected, when moved into the system fonts folder the fonts appear within DF. >

Cheers,

Adam
eyeon

Ikarus
11-15-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Azod
I passed this inquiry along to our tech support team this morning. The response is listed below,

<The Text+ tool was updated to use the FreeType library for some cross-platform issues, and expects all fonts to be contained in the Windows\Fonts folder. Because the Text tool still uses Windows for handling of fonts, that would explain the difference in fonts between the two tools. Since this person is using ATM, I would expect that the fonts are contained outside of that folder. All they would need to do is move the fonts into the windows folder. I've tested this quickly by installing a couple fonts via ATM, and checking in DF and then moving them into the Windows\Fonts folder. The result is as expected, when moved into the system fonts folder the fonts appear within DF. >

Cheers,

Adam
eyeon
I'll try that solution you just mentioned when I get a chance, and see how things work out, thanks.
Jay2K that was not me on the pigfly mailing list. I just recently subcribed to it.

Ikarus
11-17-2003, 01:15 AM

Ok, I've tried the above and got good and bad result. By default ATM installs the true type fonts and type 1 fonts in different folders, so I changed the default folder location from ATM to install everything on to the WINNT\Fonts. Then I tried installing a couple of True Type fonts and Type 1(Postcript) fonts as well. All fonts installed properly, and it seemed to have solved the problem.

But, I had some problems with some Type 1(Postcript) fonts. Most of the Type 1(Postcript) fonts that I installed showed up in DFX+ and worded without a problem, but there were certain few that did not work at all. The font name was there, but nothing would dispaly at all, or it would not change the text to that font at all. I would usually get this error "Text+ 1: Could not find the specified font". Every other software that I tried all the Type 1(Postcript) fonts worked properly and displayed properly:shrug:

One last thing I checked with ATM after I changed the default folder location from ATM to install everything on to the WINNT\Fonts was to see if I was able to ACTIVATE and DEACTIVATE font sets. It DID NOT work in DFX+ at all. All other programs that I tried did not show the DEACTIVATED fonts, but DFX+ showed them all regardless if the fonts were ACTIVATED or DEACTIVATED.

So in the end I only found a partial solution with ATM and DFX+. Seems that all True Type fonts work and install properly. Most Type1(Postcript) fonts install and work properly, there were a few that DID NOT work at all in DFX+ only....as they worked properly in other software. And DEACTIVATING and ACTIVATING font sets DID NOT work at all in DFX+, DFX+ just ends up showing every single font you have installed.

One last thing I noticed is that www.eyeonline.com (http://www.eyeonline.com) says that it supports Type1(Postcript) fonts, but I only found that I can only use the BOLD and ITALIC styles. Some of the Type 1(Postcript) fonts that I had installed also had, CONDENSE, BOLD CONDENSE, LIGHT, LIGHT OBLIQUE, EXTRA BOLD, EXTRA BOLD OBLIQUE, ULTRA CONDENSE, ULTRA BOLD, etc. just to name a few. Is there a way to have access to the rest of the styles or am I missing something. Being that most of my collection of Fonts are Type1(Postcript). Once again this is only a DFX+ issue as other software gives me the rest of the styles.:hmm:

I'll play around with ATM alittle more to see if I can get all my Type 1(Postcript) fonts to work. As for ACTIVATING and DEACTIVATING the fonts I doubt it will work with DFX+ cause the Free Type Library that it uses only looks in the WINNT\Fonts for the fonts and I'm assuming has no way of telling if fonts are ACTIVATED or DEACTIVATED by ATM.

Azod
11-17-2003, 03:47 PM
Can you please contact tech support at tech@eyeonline.com.

This will prevent me from being the go between, and possibly missing an important point.

Cheers,

Adam
eyeon

Ikarus
11-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Can you please contact tech support at tech@eyeonline.com.

This will prevent me from being the go between, and possibly missing an important point.

Cheers,

Adam
eyeon

I already did, and sent them the e-mail. I guess I should have said it in my earlier post. Thanks.

Azod
11-18-2003, 05:08 PM
Hello Ikarus,

I double checked with our tech support staff today and they have not seen your support request. Can you please resend your issue to tech@eyeonline.com.

Cheers,

Adam
eyeon

RealThing
11-18-2003, 05:50 PM
Yeah if you've sent them a report and more than 15-30 minutes go by before you hear back from them then chances are they haven't gotten it. The Eyeon tech support team is top notch and do a great job at making themselves accessable. I once emailed them a problem and about 1 minute after I pressed send the phone rang it was their tech support and we were able to figure out the problem and get things working in a few minutes.

Ikarus
11-19-2003, 04:20 AM
Hello Ikarus,

I double checked with our tech support staff today and they have not seen your support request. Can you please resend your issue to tech@eyeonline.com.

Cheers,

Adam
eyeon
That's weird, I had actually sent them the original e-mail moments after I had posted what my results with ATM where in here. Anyways thanks for the heads up. I have re-sent them the e-mail once again. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.