PDA

View Full Version : painter classic ?

hanzo
11-05-2003, 08:23 PM
hey I just got a Wacom Graphire 2 and it
cam with :eek: painter classic, what version of
painter is that 6 or 7? and any cool links tp dl's?

wedge
11-05-2003, 08:34 PM
its not any version... its like photoshop elements, for example..

basically, take Painter 8, then remove most of the features, and there you go!

Jinbrown
11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by hanzo
hey I just got a Wacom Graphire 2 and it
cam with :eek: painter classic, what version of
painter is that 6 or 7? and any cool links tp dl's?

Hi,

Since you just got it, you probably have Painter Classic 2 which is an appetizer to get people interested in buying a full Painter version.

Painter Classic 1 was based on the full version, Painter 5.

Painter Classic 2 was based on the full version, Painter 7.

Both Painter Classic 1 and 2 are very limited but they'll give you some idea of what Painter offers and if you want all of the features, you'll need to upgrade to Painter 8, the current version and the only version Corel supports now.

In addition, you'll need to be using an OS that Corel supports. The specs are on the box and you can also read them on the Corel site at:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Products/productInfo&id=1047021764853

There are tutorials scattered throughout the Painter Classic 2 User Guide that cover most, if not all, of what Painter Classic 2 offers.

There are also some Painter Classic tutorials on the Wacom site at:

http://www.wacom.com/tips/index.cfm?category=Painter

You'll have to read through them to find the ones that work with Painter Classic 2.

Have fun! :)

hanzo
11-07-2003, 03:26 AM
Jinbrown (correction ) "thank ya baby!":drool: for the reply now I know what this
classic thing is all about, I'm seriously thinking of getting painter :applause:
8 now, this is one hell of a app.

but for now could you point me in the
direction of some good brushes?

Jinbrown
11-07-2003, 04:29 AM
hanzo,

When you own Painter 8, you'll have more brushes than you'll know what to do with and endless possibilities of creating your own custom brush variants.

While you only own Painter Classic 2, you're limited to what's available in that program as it doesn't allow you to add extra brushes or create your own custom brush variants.

Use Painter Classic 2 for a while, read all you can about Painter 8, and then when you know what the system requirements are and where to go for answers, you'll be in better shape to buy Painter 8 and begin using it.

Be sure to read about the Painter 8.1 patch installation too, as a lot of people are having problems getting it installed. In a few weeks most of the issues should be worked out and it won't be so difficult for you.

(I was able to install the Pianter 8.1 patch with no problems at all, on WinXP Home, and that's been the case for a lot of Painter 8 users, but not all.)

Good places to read about Painter 8 and the 8.1 patch (read daily to keep up with what's discovered, issues, solutions, workarounds):

Painter list at Topica.com

Corel Painter Newsgroup
Add Server: cnews.corel.ca
Subscribe to: corel.graphic_apps.painter newsgroup

tayete
11-07-2003, 10:09 AM
BTW hanzo, our beloved Jinnie is a woman, not a man...:shame:

Jinbrown
11-09-2003, 08:13 PM
dear and beloved tayete,

Thanks.

I thought about saying something, then remembered how often I have to do that since it's so easy to read Ji-M or Ji-MM-y instead of Ji-N or Ji-NN-y.

Jin is short for Jinny which, oddly enough, is a nickname for Virginia.

;)

Xaint
11-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Ok, painter is a Corel product. But What is Procreate, at first I tought there are many painter apps, eg. Procreate Painter and Corel Painters are different. Could someone enlighten me?

Jinbrown
11-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Hi,

For a while, Procreate was the division of Corel that handled their graphics apps.

Since the release of Painter 8, Procreate is no longer (be thankful!).

It was always Corel that owned Painter since they bought it from Metacreations in about Spring 2000.

The Painter owners have been:

Fractal Design (through Painter 5)

Metacreations (through Painter 6)

Corel (beginning with Painter 6, shortly after it was released by Metacreations).

Xaint
11-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Thank you Virginia, you were most helpful, now I understand.

Jinbrown
11-18-2003, 04:29 AM
Xaint,

Oh gads! Please don't call me Virginia. It always reminds me of when I was a kid and in trouble with some grownup.

You can call me Jin or Jinny.

Thanks, though, for not calling me Ji-M or Mr. Brown.

:D

Xaint
11-18-2003, 07:54 AM
On second taught I liked the film, Reservoir Dogs, but Acknowledged! ;)

hanzo
11-18-2003, 05:45 PM
:bounce: Jinbrown, sorry for that slip up babe!... :cry: I hate making that mistake :(

Jinbrown
11-20-2003, 01:42 AM
LOL!

Oh! so now it's "babe"?

Just kiddin'. It's not a serious mistake at all. Kinda funny, in fact.

Thanks for the chuckle.

;)

Philipbarratt
03-22-2005, 01:40 PM
I have an old graphire tablet (serial port) that came with painter classic. Since I upgraded to 1MBit of Ram and a Radeon 256M Graphics card the software wont start as it says there is insufficient memory. I believe this actualy means that there is too much and the package can't cope with it.

If I thought later software versions would cope with my PC I'd buy a new USB tablet with the newer software - any advice?

Sequent
03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Philip, if you haven't already, see the 'Painter doesn't start!' thread shown below this one on the list of threads.

In a nutshell...basically, you can either lower your paging file to under 1024... e.g. 1023... or try downloading the fix that is mentioned. Seems to be a problem with older versions of Painter, which I think 'Classic' is built on.

This is NOT an issue with the current versions of Painter.

FYI, you can download a demo version of Painter IX from www.corel.com... which will give you a better idea of what the full version of Painter has to offer and will also let you test how it runs on your system. The actual link is:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Downloads/Trials

Elaeria
03-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey all,

I have a question on the Painter software. I bought my Graphire3 which I will soon be giving to my fiancee and buying an Intuos3 for myself.
I was wondering about the software for it. If I were to upgrade to Painter 8 or IX, do I buy the Upgrade or the full version. This will make a difference in my wallet, so if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it.

I love my art, but unfortunately, my wallet is restricting the number of tools I can have available. :(

Thanks everyone!
~Ela~

Jinbrown
03-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi,

Check the Corel Painter IX website for upgrade eligibility:

http://www.corel.com/painterix/product/sys_reqs.html

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2005, 01:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.