PDA

View Full Version : University Selection for Game Art/3D Modeling

MattShort
09-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Any school suggestions or advice on which school to choose?
Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Currently I am unsure of what University/College to plan on attending/apply at. I would like to attend post-secondary schooling to learn 3D Modeling, however I would not mind having the opportunity to study animation or environment design as well as core, traditional art classes such as color theory or figurative drawing.

If you would like a simple answer regarding the area of interest: 3D Modeling.

--------------------------

Personal Information:

Grade: 12
GPA: 3.36
Composite ACT: 28
Composite SAT: 1590
Art Portfolio Progress: I'm currently developing my portfolio, and sketchbook. More information available at request.

Limitations:

I live on the east coast of America, and cannot travel far from South Carolina for post-secondary education unless absolutely necessary.

Universities Under Consideration:

Full Sail
Game Art, Bachelor of Science Degree
I have not visited the school, and rumors of a monetary scam have lead me to be skeptic of how well an education at Full Sail would prepare me for entering the industry.

Art Institute of Raleigh
Game Art and Design, Bachelor's Degree
Visited the school location. The teaching facility was exceptionally small, however the location opened in 2008 so that is to be expected I suppose. The Game Art and Design degree began this past year so I'm not sure how successful the program will be (more skepticism).

Savannah College of Art and Design
Interactive Design and Game Development, BFA focus in Game Development
I will be visiting the campus in October. The degree program doesn't appear to focus too much on art, which is what I'm looking for so I'm not entirely sure about this school either.

Ringling
Game Art and Design
It looks decent, but I haven't heard much about the school.

Gnomon School
Short of taking a plane trip over to California, and living there (which is pretty much out of the question) I'm limited to the online courses available.

Any school suggestions or advice on which school to choose?
Feedback is greatly appreciated.

jpatel
09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Check out Champlain College in Burlington, VT. I teach in the Game Art program, so I'm biased, but we have a really great program. Information about the program can be found here, http://gamestudio.champlain.edu/ about Champlain College in general here, http://www.champlain.edu/.

We do have a portfolio requirement. Ideally a portfolio will include a good mix of traditional and digital work.

We have Game Art, Game Design and Game Programming majors. In the sophomore, junior and senior years the three majors work together in teams to create games, so students graduate with experience working in a collaborative environment.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2011, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.