PDA

View Full Version : Overlay and Trace Method

lylemills
09-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Hi All,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this. Not really sure where it belongs. http://forums.cgarchitect.com/images/smilies/confused.png I am trying to do do some overlay and trace to create linework from an image I have composited together in Photoshop of a building model done in Sketchup with 2D photo entourage, cars and trees. I have printed out the image and traced it on tracing paper to create the linework for my image. I have scanned the linework and set it on a layer to multiply mode and would like to have it "line up" with the original photoshop image as I still want to use the information from the original composited "collage" image I have created in photoshop for colors, textures etc... I am having difficulty doing this. Is there a trick to this or a simple way to line up the linework?

Thanks for any help http://forums.cgarchitect.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.png

Lunatique
09-09-2011, 05:29 AM
Why did you have to print it out and then trace it by tracing paper, and then scan it? Why didn't you just add another layer in Photoshop and do the tracing there? Also, there are Photoshop filters you can use to approximate a trace, if you tweak the filter and maybe additional tweaking later.

But to answer your question, use the transform tool (ctrl+t). You can right-click inside the transformation selection for different transform methods--they're very easy to figure out. You can also hold down shift to keep the aspect ratio while transforming the overall size.

Quadart
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a Transform Tool method that I always use when lining up two images that are identical (or are off in aspect ratio) but at different sizes and rotated differently from each other.
After reducing the opacity of the image I want to line up (which is on a layer above the other image, of course) and setting the transform operation, Iíll find a small but key reference point on the image (a sharp corner, a dark or bright dot, etc.) and overlap the reference mark on the two images. Then I find the center point of the transform rectangle and move it over the reference mark. While holding shift/option (on Mac), this will allow you to proportionally reduce/inlarge and rotate the image you want to fit around that new center point location, while dragging one of the transform selection corner points. This method takes a lot of trial and error shifting/relocating of the overlay image off the table. It makes the process soooooo much quicker. You can also use this method first, before adjusting the image if the aspect ratios are different between the two images.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.