PDA

View Full Version : Maya Connection

magilla
11-04-2003, 11:06 PM
I just downloaded the demo and there is a distinct lack of documentation on how to actually setup the connection to Maya.

Can anyone please give me a step-by-step runthrough of getting a Maya model into Messiah via the connection?

--magilla

Julez4001
11-04-2003, 11:18 PM
From the man himself

In the meantime, I'll try to give you a basic understanding of the way the program works. Here is the very basic workflow:

1. start Maya
2. activate the messiah interface from within Maya
3. load an object into messiah
4. hit F12 to export that object back to Maya
5. animate in the messiah interface
6. when you go back to the Maya interface, the animation will automatically be updated, so there's really nothing extra to do.
7. if you need to make additional adjustments, just go back to messiah an make the changes. Maya will autmatically be updated.
8. save the scene in Maya; the messiah data will be embedded in to the Maya file.

Alternative Setup:

1. start Maya
2. load an object
3. attach the messiah xform or displace plugin to that object
4. access the messiah interface
5. see steps 5 - 8 above

So, it's really a very simple & direct workflow because both apps are available at all times, and messiah automatically makes the changes to the connected objects in Maya.

Let me know if this was clear...

-lyle

magilla
11-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Julez4001

1. start Maya
2. activate the messiah interface from within Maya
Alternative Setup:

1. start Maya
2. load an object
3. attach the messiah xform or displace plugin to that object
4. access the messiah interface
5. see steps 5 - 8 above
-lyle [/B]

herein lies the crux of the problem - please expand on points 1-3

I dumped the mll in the plug-in dir and when I type the command "messiah" I just get errors.

--ok I got it working - now it just crashes with fatal errors when I type in "messiah -ad;"

RonGriswold
11-04-2003, 11:55 PM
I dumped the mll in the plug-in dir and when I type the command "messiah" I just get errors.

The quote below is taken directly from the messiah docs under "General Info->Using messiah with 3rd Party->Maya".

The problem you are having is that you are removing the connection plugin from the messiah installation directory, as it says below you should never do this. Instead you need to point Maya in the right direction by adding the path to your messiah installation directory to the Maya environment variable MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH (details below).

If this is still unclear let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Installation
After installing messiah add the following line to your Maya.env file, replacing the path below with the path to your messiah installations:
MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:/pmG/messiahStudio1.5

Note the use of forward slashes, do not use backslashes, Maya will not recognize the path correctly if you do. Also if the path contains spaces (such as 'Program Files') then the path must be enclosed in double quotes(").

When you open Maya next go to the Plug-in Manager and check 'loaded' and 'auto load' for the appropriate version of Maya that you are running. Consult Maya's documentation for more information about plug-in management.

NOTE: Never move your messiah executable or the messiahHOST.dll file from the directory in which they were installed.

Deformation
In order to deform an object with messiah in Maya the following steps must be taken:

1) Select the object, or rather its transform node. If you are not familiar with Maya's Dependency Graph don't worry, whenever you select an object in the 3d view or from the Outliner, you are selecting its transform node.
2) Type 'messiah -ad' at the command line

The object will now be connected to, and appear in, messiah.

Transformation
The steps for transforming an object with messiah (as opposed to deforming it) are exactly the same as the steps above, however this time you use the '-ax' switch.

Launching messiah's Interface
Simply type messiah at the command line and messiah's interface will be launched.

RonGriswold
11-05-2003, 12:10 AM
ahaha, *inserts foot in mouth* that should read:

NOTE: Never move the contents of your messiah installation unless specifically instructed to do so.

Some how the connection plugin got omitted from the list of things not to move. So as a general rule, if you weren't told to move something then its probably not safe to do so.

Sorry for the confusion.

gsuttor
11-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Ron remember that that line should point to your messiah folder underneath the messiah1.5 folder. I think this was a typo in the docs. :)

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:/pmG/messiahStudio1.5

should be

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:/pmG/messiahStudio1.5/messiah/

Also remember I had a lot of trouble getting it running when messiah was installed in the "Program Files" folder because of the space. Here's my old post on it.

=================================
For you Mayans out there.

In your "maya.env" file you may only have one "MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH" variable. However it may contain multiple paths seperated a semi-colon.
I also had to SHARE my messiah folder as for some reason using a
local file path like C:/blah.. would not work. (probably something to do with the space in "Program Files" - maybe?)

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = \\YourComputerName\messiah

(where messiah = C:/Program Files/pmG/messiahstudio1.5/messiah)

If you have multiple shared plugin folders it is..

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH =
\\YourComputerName\messiah;\\OtherSharedPath\plugins

=============================

Also suggested was this...

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned earlier in your
threads - I missed some parts along the way. But since you already tried enclosing the path in double-quotes to no avail, you might want to substitute PROGRA~1 for "Program Files" and see how you fare with something along these lines...

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:\PROGRA~1\pmG\messiahstudio1.5\messiah

==============================

Havn't tried this yet as my current shared UNC method works.

ALSO Ron, Any news on that render black frames bug when batch rendering in Maya?

NB: I can now confirm that using..
C:\PROGRA~1\pmG\messiahstudio1.5\messiah
Works!!! Brilliant.

Cheers,

magilla
11-05-2003, 01:15 AM
based on my default install:
MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:/Program Files/pmG/messiahanimate4demo/messiahdemo
my path had the studio in it - so it wasn't fiding it - me stoopid!

also - I forgot to mention that I did find the "general info>third party..." in the docs and put all the mll's back where they should be.

I restarted Maya and it seems to be working fine - I'll add my 2cents back in the maya forum messiah thread.

thanks for the help.

--magilla

RonGriswold
11-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Ron remember that that line should point to your messiah folder underneath the messiah1.5 folder. I think this was a typo in the docs.

It does say to replace the path with the path to your messiah installation, but perhaps it would be clearer to say "replace the path with the location of your messiah executable" instead. I'll change that.

The others are good points Geoff, I'll add them as well to the docs. I'm afraid I haven't been able to spend much time on the batch render issue, I'll let you know when I have more info for you.

SheepFactory
11-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Ok now i am having trouble:

my maya.env file is pointing to:

MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:/Program Files/pmG/messiahanimate4/messiah

which is where my executable is , but i dont see the plugin under plugin manager :(

am I missing a step here it was working with the demo , than maya freaked out (not a messiah related problem) and I reinstalled , now i cant get this to work.

RonGriswold
11-05-2003, 10:37 PM
my maya.env file is pointing to: MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH = C:/Program Files/pmG/messiahanimate4/messiah

See gsuttor's response a couple of posts up for a solution to this. The problem is related to the space in the path. If that doesn't do it let me know and we'll explore it further.

SheepFactory
11-06-2003, 01:00 AM
Problem solved ,

My computer couldnt create a maya.env file that maya can recognize for some reason , i just got a blank one from a friend and it worked.

huijiao2001
01-01-2004, 12:36 PM
HOW ABOUT CONNECTION TO 3DSMAX??

SheepFactory
01-01-2004, 05:26 PM
there is a connection to 3d max

huijiao2001
01-04-2004, 09:05 AM
NEED DETAIL ABOUT 3DSMAX CONNECTION.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.