PDA

View Full Version : Learning Houdini

green3dhut
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

I just finished my studies at Gnomon and due to scheduling constraints I never really got a handle on dynamics. I am a VFX generalist, advanced in most areas of Maya yet Particles and hard and soft Dynamics are my weak link. It seems that Houdini is an excellent choice for the full gamut of dynamics. Would I have to abandon Maya in lieu of Houdini or can I work cross platform. Is the learning curve great? And am I looking at months to get up and running?

Thanks a million

Jeff

Eitht
09-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Hey Jeff,

you don't have to abandon anything in Maya, Houdini simply offers much more controls and customizations without having you programme excessively. I haven't done much fx in Maya, from what i heard - it crashes quite frequently, on the other hand - Mantra (Houdini's renderer) can handle heavy rendering more efficiently and is more stable.

It's definitely possible to work cross platform but i'm sure you would face problems importing/exporting file formats between the two applications.

You probably could find out a lot more visually by going to www.vimeo.com (http://www.vimeo.com) and search "houdini effects"!

Sorry i'm unable to share more in depth stuff as i'm learning myself. ><

eitht.

Fess
09-11-2011, 05:17 AM
i've used Maya for almost 10 years and that's enough.

Learning Houdini myself, interesting learning curve...

if u wanna learn it, u will.

FX right now is mostly houdini for features and maya for games.

~Fess

olson
09-22-2011, 02:09 AM
Hi all,

I just finished my studies at Gnomon and due to scheduling constraints I never really got a handle on dynamics. I am a VFX generalist, advanced in most areas of Maya yet Particles and hard and soft Dynamics are my weak link. It seems that Houdini is an excellent choice for the full gamut of dynamics. Would I have to abandon Maya in lieu of Houdini or can I work cross platform. Is the learning curve great? And am I looking at months to get up and running?

Thanks a million

Jeff

Learning both is not difficult, just time consuming. I'd say it takes a good six months to a year before new users can be self sufficient and start to answer their own questions and figure stuff out. During that learning period it helps to have another Houdini user around, or at least be active in the forums.

Side Effects has a lot of great resources on their site for learning, Peter Quint has a lot of stuff on Vimeo, ****** has a some good stuff, and last but not least Digital Tutors has some Houdini tutorials.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/training/houdini-tutorials

Sorry, shameless self plug there. My guess is if you get into Houdini you'll probably lose interest in Maya for effects work. Houdini is kind of a bottomless pit that you want to fall into.

olson
09-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Interesting... why is that censored? :curious:

arctor
09-22-2011, 03:25 AM
yeah thats weird - I've never seen C_M_I_V_F_X uncensored...silly when Digital Tutors isn't...

SYmek
09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
yeah thats weird - I've never seen C_M_I_V_F_X uncensored...silly when Digital Tutors isn't...

afaik they had some argument with cgsociety.org. Well, at least this is clear, that something is wrong between these guys.

As a related note, I've recently realized all new articles from fxguide.com omit SESI at the right side "External Link" list, even Houdini is mentioned many times in a text, and all other parties are listed. So whether they had some argument either, or links are sponsored, this is something that much differs internet from a official medias standards. I see it quite problematic, as people usually apply the same expectation of journalism objectivity to services like this or fxguide.com as they except from newspapers, whereas it's clearly not the case. Private business, own rules.

johnnycore
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone knows a good place to find (free) tutorials on houdini shaders?
I mean like certain glass, water, wood, metal etc.. I have not been able to find one so far..

DuttyFoot
10-06-2011, 01:39 AM
here is a cool link for going from maya to houdini

http://www.tokeru.com/t/bin/view/Maya/MayaToHoudini

mestela
10-06-2011, 04:10 AM
heh, its just a brain dump of stuff i've learned over the past year; once current project insanity finishes, i'll try and tidy it up, add pictures, translate it into human understandable english etc...

Robert Magee
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
As a related note, I've recently realized all new articles from fxguide.com omit SESI at the right side "External Link" list, even Houdini is mentioned many times in a text, and all other parties are listed. So whether they had some argument either, or links are sponsored, this is something that much differs internet from a official medias standards. I see it quite problematic, as people usually apply the same expectation of journalism objectivity to services like this or fxguide.com as they except from newspapers, whereas it's clearly not the case. Private business, own rules.

Thanks for noticing this external link list on FX Guide. We have a good relationship with FXGuide and so we asked them about this. It turns out they have a script which calls out certain links automatically and they didn't have a Houdini one in place. Now they do thanks to your observation. It will now be easier for us to find out how many people are coming to our site from FXGuide after reading their articles.

You can see in our "Houdini in the News" (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=113&Itemid=214) section that many FXGuide articles have mentioned Houdini recently. All these older articles now have Houdini as an external link because the auto call-out feature is in place. Thanks again!

Robert

PS - FXphd (affiliated with FXGuide) is teaching a couple of online Houdini classes in case anyone is interested.

SYmek
10-06-2011, 09:04 PM
It turns out they have a script which calls out certain links automatically and they didn't have a Houdini one in place.

he, he, and now it turns out I am clearly a paranoid... Anyhow, thanks for clearing this out. Me goes to get my pills. :surprised

obiwandk
10-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Have now been using Houdini/ 3d coat
for around a week.
And ofc i been looking for other options.
Like light wave max and maya.
But nothing compares to a apprentice hd license.
what i talk of is the amount of features and what you can do whit it.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2011, 07:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.