PDA

View Full Version : Moving From LW to XSI

DSW
09-02-2011, 07:43 AM
I don't have the finances at the moment to purchase XSI, but probably when 2013 comes out next year I'm hoping things will have worked out and I can afford a license. I'm on the East Coast United States - where would be the best place to purchase? And... is there a competitive upgrade path?

Thanks!

ThE_JacO
09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Get in touch with AD and ask for the nearest reseller, and ask all the questions.

Things like competitive upgrades tend to come and go, and usually ebb and flow depending on how much they are needed to lure other software users in. With AD owning the three biggest players on the stage, and LW hemorraging users, they might be going after the userbase and offer one, or they might take the mass migration for granted and not bother to cash in more, a reseller would be the best person to tell you whether they are or are about to offer one.

ActionArt
09-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, when I bought 2011 there was a very nice competitive upgrade from LW. It's NOT well known and not advertised. Your dealer has to actively seek it out. When you go to buy, push them hard for it. Some are too lazy to check.

BTW, it'll be the best move you'll ever make, at least it was for me.

DSW
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks Raffaele!
Thanks Len!

Now I've got a plan. Just have to find the money to purchase. :)

Looking VERY much forward to it, and hopefully it will be sooner than when 2013 shows up.

Thanks Again!

ActionArt
09-02-2011, 10:24 PM
That's the hard part alright (money). If you use it for production that produces income though it will be more efficient. It's a joy to use compared to LW.

While you're waiting, don't forget to run the trial (30days).

Best of luck :)

grahamef
09-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd suggest running the 7.5 mod tool first (no time limit but restricted license), and then when you are up to speed on basic functionality you can start the clock ticking on the 30-day trial to explore the newer features.

DSW
09-03-2011, 02:26 AM
That's the hard part alright (money). If you use it for production that produces income though it will be more efficient. It's a joy to use compared to LW.

While you're waiting, don't forget to run the trial (30days).

Best of luck :)
Yeah, money is more than tight right now. Still... I've got to move forward and SI seems like the right fit - especially if I want to work with mocap. And MotionBuilder will help too. :)

And thanks - I'll take as much luck as I can get.

I'd suggest running the 7.5 mod tool first (no time limit but restricted license), and then when you are up to speed on basic functionality you can start the clock ticking on the 30-day trial to explore the newer features.
That's a great idea. I think I'll do that! Thanks for the suggestion!!

pelos
09-09-2011, 07:20 AM
also beside the 30 days, you can get the student license too for checking and lerning the software, thats free for learning.

DSW
09-09-2011, 07:43 AM
also beside the 30 days, you can get the student license too for checking and lerning the software, thats free for learning.
That would be great, but even though I'm learning the software, I'm not an "official" student. :(

ximage
09-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey,

just a little tip, if you can enroll on some sort of course. as cheap as possible. does not matter what it is. could be to learn a language, maths, anything does not have to be CG related. if you can prove you are studying something you can purchase a student license. then from there they have some pretty good deals to upgrade from there.

legacy upgrade? could be wrong on the name though. a friend of mine is a AD reseller.

might work out cheaper. ask your reseller.

hope this helps. and good choice on going for softimage. truely rocks!!

Sween

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2011, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.