PDA

View Full Version : Animation: "An Irresponsible Use of Frogs"

philipchild
11-04-2003, 06:40 PM
My animated short "An Irresponsible Use of Frogs" has now been uploaded to http://www.irresponsiblefroguse.co.uk/

All feedback welcome

TimNikias v2.0
11-04-2003, 10:25 PM
The animation has a nice style and idea. The modelling is good, as is the texturing, and you show a lot of potential in various areas of effects.

What I don't like as much is the movement of the lady, sometimes, it doesn't seem to be very natural. Aside of that, I like the frog's animation.

In the first few shots, the pumping of the "machine" should all by in synch, it seems like there is just a different variety of times at which the light seems to flow through the pipes and such. I actually don't get what that machine is supposed to do, but perhaps it's just to catch the light? :-)

Nice story. Only thing which annoys me most are the voices, they don't seem to be very in-character, it's too forced, if you know what I mean.

Still, a great job, I like it very much, but I thought some constructive criticism is wanted... :-)

1001 JediNights
11-05-2003, 05:15 AM
Hey, great animation! I found this quite amusing. Especially when she decides to start a plague. As soon as that music kicked in, I knew it would be all laughs from there on out.

A bit predictable, yes. I always seemed to know what was going to happen next. (the frog sanctuary was a surprise but other than that) The title really made the ending predictable. Swarm of locusts, irresponsible use of frogs... hmm... Maybe that's just me, but I made that connection very quickly. Still, it worked.

The animation was fantastic. I really liked the way you showed the smoke coming out the chimney, then pulling back to reveal it's shape as DNA. Very clever.

There were a few flaws here and there, but as a whole it's great. When I saw her put on that makeup, I was just thinking... "now that's just showing off..."

I will agree that the voices need a bit of work, but that's always the big setback for me, so I can't really complain too much about that. :p

Good job :thumbsup:

Frank Dodd
11-05-2003, 08:33 AM
A great piece of work that you should certainly be proud of. There is a lot of effort and talent in the modelling, texturing and animation of this ten minute short.

I would also agree that the voices are out of character, a good effort by the voice actors but I think they were miss-cast. A lot of the camera work is good but there are a couple of shots in there that are not up to that standard, one in particular is the sequence where the witch is introduced to the viewer.

I loved the imaginative DNA smoke sequence all the way through to the frog rain, that sequence worked well, it was convincing and set-up a great atmosphere for the viewer. There was a great amount of skill and work put into the buildings that may have looked a little out of place but showed a great effort in architectural design and implementation,

Well done with the compression too, something that is strangely an often overlooked aspect of producing a short for Internet distribution.

philipchild
11-06-2003, 09:30 AM
Ok have not sorted out the web site problem yet but I now have a tempory mirror thanks to zyk0tik

Here is the animation:

http://www.zyk0tik.com/frogdivx.avi

marcia
11-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Augh! I really want to see your animation, but one site gives me a "forbidden" message and the other says I'm missing a Quicktime resource. I just upgraded Quicktime to the latest version last week. Anyone have a suggestion on how to view this?

philipchild
11-06-2003, 03:33 PM
There should not be any need for quicktime downoading useing the link in the last post. It might be that you have your computer set to playing AVIs in quicktime. You need DIX-x to play the animation.

uncon
11-06-2003, 04:55 PM
I have to say that I really enjoyed this little film. The story moved along nicely with great animation and environments throughout. The main character displayed emotion and the voice acting was great. Keep up the good work!

Valandar
11-06-2003, 09:23 PM
Okay, that was just too cute. :eek: :scream: :cool:

Seriously... the characters were WONDERFUL. The only hitches in my opinion was the animation of the woman...

philipchild
11-20-2003, 09:41 AM
The www.irresponsiblefroguse.co.uk website is now up and running again. sorry for the delay

HenningK
11-20-2003, 10:52 AM
Outstanding effects. The overall lighting and texturing is great. The character has high appeal, in spite of her witchiness and dastardly intentions. I found myself sympathizing early on and easily. Thats a rare and special thing, when one meets a character and likes her.
The obvious thorn in my side is the character animation. If the frog and the witch were fun to watch just moving around you'd have a world-class festival piece here.
The storm sequence was brilliant. Panning down the traffic building with the birds was a beautiful shot. You seem to be able to move a CAMERA around expertly....
Definitely worth the download, 4 stars.
love,hen

HenningK
11-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Unbelievable. Where's the attention? More people need to see this.
-hen

philipchild
11-21-2003, 09:49 AM
Thanks hen, I'm glad you found the charater appealing, I worked hard on that. as it would be easy to make an ugly witch but it was a challange to make her appealing as well. I would have to agree with you about the animation, I was too ambitious and ran out of time so rushed it alot. I will learn from that mistake.

tpe
11-21-2003, 12:01 PM
definatly a classic

mattmos
11-21-2003, 02:03 PM
So how long did you spend making this - it's quite an accomplishment for one person. I agree in general with the critisism that's been levelled so far, but you've really made the central character work well. Nice one geezer!

One note aside, the pacing was a little slow for me in places...

philipchild
11-21-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. It took about a year and a half in total. but I was also working on my university dissertation amongst other things. The planning started a while before that. I spent a long time developing the story from a completely different story which I came up with 2 years ago.

philipchild
12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
For those who are interested in the making of the climax of my film, I have added another making of article showing a few of the challanges and how they were overcome.

RedSilas
12-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Over all it was a nice piece. I liked the story but I agree that the character actors were a bit dry in their dialog delivery. The lighting was fantastic for the room environments but some of the outside lighting didn't quite match up with the brightness of the sky/environment. The effects were great! I liked the steam and the dust but the liquid could have used a little more attention.

The animation of the woman... over all was commendable because of the length of the feature but it did lack in terms of crisp accuracy. There needed to be more strong poses and more dramatic movement. One of the big distractions was the deformation problem in the frog’s neck and limbs (only in a few places)... and the woman’s shirt/arm envelops also caused some surface violations. Also, there was a pretty nasty position jump when the woman puts the paper down at her side while sitting in the chair.

It's is a pretty amazing piece to come from one person though! Also, understand that this is picky stuff only meant to help. :)

Great Job!
:thumbsup:

darnel25
12-07-2003, 06:32 AM
I really liked this animation. The transitions between certain scenes worked really well. Nice job.

philipchild
12-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks for your comments,

"there was a pretty nasty position jump when the woman puts the paper down at her side while sitting in the chair. "

Hehe I was hopeing no one would notice that. It was supposed to be out of shot and was not actualy meant to be seen at all I overlapped the shots. Well spotted!

Thanks for all your feedback everyone, it is appriciated
:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.