PDA

View Full Version : Softimage XSI in VFX studios in London?

BojanStankovski
09-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I would like to know does VFX studios in London like, MPC Framstore, The mill, Cinesite and others, are using XSI for their pipeline?

I have check in job section from these studios, and they required strong knowledge of Maya.

I am really used to XSI 2012, and i loved because is stable, and i have tried also maya, but i got crashes every time, so i stick with XSI. But i am afraid that, if i want to apply in any of these studios, they won't gonna hire me because i use XSI.

bjoern
09-01-2011, 09:24 PM
maya is a piece of S***t bye now. I was good at the time when softimage3D was at the end of his time... it was the right timing.
compared to XSI or houdini maya has realy no right to exsist anymore (and don't get me wrong... I was a happy maya user.... years back).

All big studios use maya. there is allmost none that is using XSI.

If you want to go in to big featurefilms... you have to go for maya or houdini... say bye to XSI... it's sad but your only option.

Coldframe
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM
The mill use Xsi in there los angeles office i guiss
best

ThE_JacO
09-02-2011, 04:30 AM
If you restrict this solely to London and film VFX, there are a few licenses here and there for the occasional modelling task or GATOR/ICE trick in an agile team, but that's it.

Peerless Camera used to be XSI based, but these days it's probably been mostly phased out as all the XSI friendly crew left one by one.

MPC, Framestore, Dneg, Cinesite and the other two or three small-mid studios that have any relevance tend to be Maya centric with various degrees of Houdini penetration for FX and/or trick shots. XSI in there features between nothing and very little and on a per-need basis when it does.

Here in AL we do use XSI as our main tool for rigging/animation/char finalling for both feature animation and film VFX (and the odd TVC that requires either department to step in), but we're kind of a white fly, and we do have a crapton of propietary software and back-end that allows to work on the same assets across both maya and soft. In the states things are a little bit better, but most of the market penetration tends to be in the small to mid.

This is all very specific to film/FA. Game and players can change a fair bit in other fields and in non English speaking countries.

dansidi
09-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Glassworks, Jellyfish, Prime Focus, Sky Creative (outside the centre of London, but not that far) all use XSI heavily.

Good luck !

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2011, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.