PDA

View Full Version : A call for FLEX tutorials/vids

Julez4001
11-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Flex is by far a powerful tool but I think many users are intimidated by it as they are really confuse about its setup.So PMG, Joe, CharacterFX, etc ..please add to this secluded tool.

I try and see wat i can do too....

lmilton
11-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Much of the power of messiah just gets overlooked, and our software tends to get compared with other softwares that have a completely different function & focus. Futher, most of those comparisons tend to be based on a *small subset* of messiah's features, and even those features don't get fully explored. We certainly realize all this, but we simply don't have the "people-power" to get the word out, at the moment. But Fred's doing all that he can.

Be that as it may, I agree that Flex needs some videos. And, demonstrating the combinations of the various effects would be very useful.

As an example, I remember that very nice "living blob" effect from the early project:messiah demos that Frank Aalbers created, using Softbody Dynamics & Melt. I suppose that something even cooler could be done now that Melt uses weight tools. Also, Grzesiek Jonkajtys recently mentioned that he was using Flex with BoneDeform, while using the curve as a weight to create more realistic muscle deformation. I think this is the sort of thing that people would like to see in action.

With the free flowing nature of the software, the combinations really are endless. And it's just too difficult to explain all this with text and static images.

Joe... Riggs... you out there?;})

-lyle

WesComan
11-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Talking about multiple effects and such, here's a *very* simple scene I posted on the list combining melt, particles and meta effectors.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pmGmessiah/files/Help_Me/WeightedMelt_and_Particles.zip

*Dont* load the mpj file!

It won't work, but the fxs scene does... set the Particles->Slave Parent to MetaEffector you'll see the effectors falling down and deforming the geometry.

Thinking about it, a similar thing could be used with bloat, or using the WeightValue expression you could drive animation (or pretty much anything animatable).

I just luuuurve the way we can combine seemingly unrelated features in messiah and create funky effects :buttrock:

Julez4001
11-05-2003, 11:51 AM
Great stuff...wes.
Do you have to set slave every the scene starts..is it a bug?

WesComan
11-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Yeah, you have to set it every time you open up the scene, but I believe it has already been reported as a bug.

lmilton
11-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by WesComan
Yeah, you have to set it every time you open up the scene, but I believe it has already been reported as a bug.

Very nice example:thumbsup:

BTW, that bug is already fixed and you'll get it in the next patch. Thanx for sharing:})

-lyle

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.