PDA

View Full Version : Blendshapes for two characters that are based on the same mesh

aaibel
08-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate if some people could point me in the right direction here. I have two characters that both have the same head mesh. I want to change the mesh slightly in the second character to make him look a bit different. I already have all the blendshapes for my first character.

I would like to be able to reuse the blendshapes for the second character...is there a way? Any ideas perhaps? Maybe I need to do some scripting for this? I had an idea of adding the changes as a blendshape and having that one constantly 'on' but is that the correct way of doing this?

I would be very grateful if anyone could give any advice or ideas on what they think of this. I hope I explained it ok.

Thank you very much in advance. Just don't wanna go down a completely wrong path.

EDIT

I just wanted to explain a bit more what I am trying to do, just in case it wasn't clear. I have a character (character A) and I have all my blendshapes set up for him (smile, frown etc). To create character B, I duplicated the headmesh of character A and changed the mesh slightly (make cheeks chubbier and lips bigger). I would like to be able to reuse the blendshapes that I already have for character A.

I was thinking of creating a blendshape for the changes...so the baseshape would be another duplicate of the headmesh of character A and the target is character B. I would then create one blendshape nodes with all the target shapes (character B changes, smile, frown, etc.) So for character B smiling I would turn on the blendshape so that the mesh looks like character B (cheeks chubbier and bigger lips) and then 'turn on' the smiling blendshape (which i reused from character A) too. I tested this and it seems to work, but I am wondering if I will get inot trouble further down the line?? Has anyone used other ways of doing this?

Thanks again I would appreciate any thoughts at all.

nuternativ
09-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Hi,

I work on animated series with lots of extra characters. Some just walk by the camera, some only say a sentence and never show up again on that episode. With limited time, That's exactly how I do it. Change the hair, change the cloth, modify the face etc. But, I try not to mess (too much) with the eyelids and lips if I'm planing to reuse the blendshapes - that might ruin the blendshapes on sensitive area like the eyelids where the eyeball could pop through or not close properly and the lips where the character speaks might not really looks as good as the original.

Hope that helps, excuse my English.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2011, 02:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.