PDA

View Full Version : Subdividing and adding Geo

GnaReffotsirk
08-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Guys, is there a way to add geometry in Zbrush like in real life where you add clay? I find that sometimes I need to add say a tail or a neck to a model. And if I grab that area and create a new subdivision, the head would have so many polygons.

I've tried merging layers but the subdivision becomes problematic at the point where the two tools intersect.

Also, is there a way to make Zbrush somewhat rearrange the topology and optimize it? Like say from the above, you join a sphere and a cube, then have zbrush recreate the topology?

I've been searching for a while, but haven't found an answer.

I hope my question isn't too confusing. I'm not familiar with the terminologies.

mykyl
08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
As of the 20th of next month you will be able to do exactly that. Head over to the zbrush forums and check out the new video.

M

GnaReffotsirk
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah. I guess I'll have to wait.

mykyl
08-29-2011, 12:59 PM
What I currently do but it depends on how far along you are with your modelling is I set a resolution of 64 or 128 under the subtool menu and then hit the remesh all button. I get a new mesh created made up of all the parts currently there. Then I sub divide my model up a bit and then click project all button under subtool to transfer the detail from the parts to my new mesh.

I am in a hurry at this exact moment but if that doesn't make sense say so and I will try and clarify what I am meaning.

Mike

GnaReffotsirk
08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh, Mike you're a life saver. Thank you so much.

Got it to work on some models, though sometimes there are parts that are skewed,

runejw
08-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Yes, remesh has limitations. One way to test is to make a sphere, subdiv it a bit, then paint a mask on it and then Extract. Remesh of that extract can make some quite creative results :arteest: :)

GnaReffotsirk
08-30-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks guys. Wow, have you guys seen the new 4R2 video showcasing the dynamesh? Finally!

mykyl
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Oh, Mike you're a life saver. Thank you so much.

Got it to work on some models, though sometimes there are parts that are skewed,

You will find that things that are too close to each other will not work well or join up. (Legs too close to each other.) Overlapping parts will also in the remesh just become a solid mass (Tusks on an elephant near the trunk). A way around that is to sculpt the new mesh to fit the original parts better before projecting the details. You dont ahve to go into details just get them to blob around each of the parts better using a standard brush or whatever.

As you have now noticed though it looks like there will be no need in the very near future.

Mike

GnaReffotsirk
08-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes. Thank you so much!

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2011, 03:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.