PDA

View Full Version : Hair (Remain in shape, but still react)

chiodo
08-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,

I must be missing some basic point in my settings, but since I currently can't seem to get my head wrapped around this problem, I thought I'll thrown it in here.

I'm using NURBS curves to drive a hair system in Maya 2011. What I'm simply trying to achieve at the moment are settings, that will have the hair remain in the style the curves give it. (As if Input Attract is nearly set to 1.0) But at the same time have it react to dynamic forces like gravity. In a way as if the hair is styled with hairspray so it will keep its look, but still moves when the character moves about or simply due to gravity.

So I'm tweaking the Stiffness and Input Attract settings, the interation and whatever there is, but I just can't seem to come up with a suitable setup. Either the hair loosely falls out of the style or doesn't properly behave to the dynamic forces.

It would be brilliant, if someone knows a solution to this.

Cheers,

Christopher

fantasizer
08-29-2011, 02:14 AM
A solution to this is to use nCloth to simulate hair dynamics. See jc.hair (http://sites.google.com/site/cgriders/jc/hair).

chiodo
08-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, the bend resistance in the nCloth settings seems to do the trick. I will continue experimenting with it. Thanks for the swift reply.

Cheers

chiodo
08-30-2011, 03:22 PM
So the nCloth is working pretty good for the hair simulation.

http://www.sonnenfall.de/ohm/thesis/hairTest_jitter_1.mov

I'm just encountering this weird jittering. I have an nCloth driving NURBS curves via a wrap deformer, which in turn make up the hair. Then there's the body acting as passive collider. I'm tweaking the quality settings of the nRigid (trapped check), as well as the nCloth (iterations etc), the solver attributes (substeps etc), but nothing seems to get rid of this unpredictable shaking. And it's not even all of the planes.

Anyone?

Cheers

HowardM
08-30-2011, 04:31 PM
tough to tell without seeing your setup, but as with any dynamics, changing one or two things can make all the difference... so just play and experiement.

are you using Input Mesh Attract? or Constraints?
are you sure you have the right verts painted or selected?

its probably something simple, just again, tweak and test as its fast to sim...

change the collision offset, tweak the resistances, more or less substeps, space scale, Link vs Object. ... tweak anything and test...

chiodo
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Putting up the substeps to 10 in the nucleus suddenly solved the whole issue. Strangely enough, after tweaking around for hours.

Thanks for the answer.

CGTalk Moderation
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.