PDA

View Full Version : Novice question

BigFloppyLlama
11-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Ive been screwing around in photoshop with my wacom for a few months, and now am starting to want to use it for some of my AP portfolio work. Im usually using a relatively small canvas (12x12 at 72 pixels/inch) and worry about the print quality Ill have to deal with later on due to the resolution. So, recently Ive tried working in 300 pixels/inch on the same 12x12 canvas and it just seems obnoxiously large and hard to work with. Is there any way to give myself a smaller canvas while working initially, but then blow it up to the larger size when done without a significant loss in image quality?

gORDEK
11-04-2003, 08:51 AM
no, i think there is no way... you always have to work in the resolution, you want to print... so for print you gotta have 300dpi and up... painting in 72 dpi and then blow up will always result in quality-loss...

halo
11-04-2003, 10:11 AM
you can cut the res down a little, but no, you cant expect to work at a much lower res and blow it up afterwards. This is why machines that run PS have lots of ram and speedy components.

uncon
11-04-2003, 04:17 PM
I would say talk to your printer, or run some tests if you are the printer. Sometimes you can work at 1/2 dpi and then when you are done douple the size in photoshop to full res, then print. It really depends on the printing process used. If it a bubblejet or laser printer this works pretty good. I imagine that if you are printing 12" you are going to have someone print it so talk to them.

halo
11-04-2003, 07:21 PM
there's little point in up res'ing....you can never get back the sharpness of doing at the correct size. But talk to your outputter, they may have some recommended figures to work to.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.