PDA

View Full Version : Transferring enelope weights to polygon islands

Pancho
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Well, that's what I need to do. But I don't know how to do it practically.

I'll import polygons strips into XSI (quad poly strips), which will later deform hair guides in Modo via .MDD. The polygon hair guides imported in XSI need to inherit the envelope of the object they are "attachted to/belong to".

Well, in words it would be something like that:

a) Get closest point of polygon island to body surface

b) Get envelope weight of body at closest location

c) Apply envelope weight to whole polygon island

In the end the polygon strips need to deform like the main body does if deformed by bones

I could also use a slight push operator on the body and instead of using a get closest point to surface I could get the points of the polygon islands inside of the body.

Can anybody help me out with this problem?

Cheers
Thomas

CoolCalb
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi,

Not sure I understood what you are trying to do, but what about Gator?
you can transfer the weights from the enveloped mesh to the polygon strips,
this way the polygon strips will get the closest weights from the enveloped mesh.

Pancho
08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
So far I used a hull deformer to deform an MDD object in SI. This would be a bit like the GATOR way. The problem is that the polygon strip needs to inherit the same envelope as its base does. Otherwise hair guides will be stretched as not only the area at the bottom of the guides influences its deformation but all other areas too. In the region of the neck or armpits the guides will be strechted till they are pretty useless.

So I need to find a way to cycle through each polygon strip. Find the closest point to the body surface, pick up this envelope weight and apply it to the whole strip.

At the SI Community somebody posted a way how to pick up the envelope weight, but so far I have no clue to do this for each polygon island and apply this weight too all connected points.

Pancho
08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
http://www.si-community.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1742

Here's the compound!

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2011, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.