PDA

View Full Version : Dof Mentalray

spiderman3
08-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Hi Guys
I haven't touched mental ray for a long time @ the same time i have been working on renderman and some proprietry render engines i want to do a DOF while rendering in mentalray so can anyone tell me a easy or best way to do DOF in mentalray

Bitter
08-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Use the lens shaders for that (physical lens or bokeh) in the Camera mental ray lens shader connection.

Render with Unified Sampling. Much faster than other methods. You can keep the lens shader samples relatively low with Unified Sampling, 8-32 maybe. If it's an animation then leave some grain, it won't be noticed. Otherwise you can crank up Unified Quality to clear the grain instead of the lens shader if you like for a high quality still.

Libor
08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
just to clear it a bit :

go to your camera settings (Atrib Editor) and find mentalray>lens shader slot and create mentalray lens shader "mia_bokeh"....afterwards play with attributes like focus distance

thats all for the begining

P.S. min,max AA sampling in global settings of mray and "samples" in mia_bokeh controls the grainines/quality

CGTalk Moderation
08-30-2011, 03:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.