PDA

View Full Version : stich node in maya (patches)

anoe_nomus
11-04-2003, 06:37 AM
hi guys and gals.
if i do a stitch operation in maya betweeen 2 surfaces; let's assume they are where an eye meets the forhead area.
then after i stitch if i delete the history on both the surfaces, will that affect tengency when i animate the face, will the patches not remain smooth, will they break up, is the stich node necessary in order to have the two surfaces maitain tengency at all time? even when i animate.
secondly, when i render a patch head i have modeled, i see the seems in the render. but the in the openGL (shaded mode) there are no seem visible? how do i fix this?

thanx i nadvance o_0 ^_^ :-]:shrug: :thumbsup:

Tamtam
11-09-2003, 02:35 PM
hi anoe_nomus
the tangency wont remain if you delete history on the patches after stitch
global stitch is used in the modelling process but also when the character is animated
the global stitch node trys to maintain tangency between the patches while in extream deformations it can cause unpredictable results
i recomand you to use a wrap deformer to model your blendshapes and also for the skin which would be bound to the rig
my blendshapemodelling workflow looks like this...
1. model the head
2. convert the dublicated nurbs head to polygons and merge all the patches
3. global stitch the patches
4. use the polygonal head as a wrapdeformer for the patches
5. put the nurbs patches on a layer and hide it
6. create blendshapes on your poly mdoel
7. when you are satesfied with the deformations make the layer with the patches visible and dublicate the nurbs head

i hope that helps you a bit ^_^

Tamtam
11-09-2003, 02:37 PM
the reason why you can see the seams while rendering is because you need to edit the tesselation for the nurbs patches in the atribute editor

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.