PDA

View Full Version : vray proxy anim offset in maya

refract
08-27-2011, 05:51 AM
I tried the Vray forums,. checking here...

I'm animating some trees with a proxy import of a tree which works fine, but with more trees,.. they all move in unison. They need an offset. And the "offset" parameter in Vray/Maya just sets the start time,.... not an actual 'offset' of each instance.

Now Vray for Max and Multiscatter using proxy's has an option under Multiscatter/Animation/ "Samples",.. which works to offset instances.

How to get this working in Vray/Maya? is the question.

thx

bigbossfr
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
You must to duplicate your tree (with graph, not instance) or reimport it to set the offset.
If you have an animation on 200 frames, you can have 200 differentes offset, but 200 trees not instanced.

refract
08-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks Deex
You mean reimport a second or third and offset each differently? I'd kinda like to keep them instances as there will be a lot of them.
I'm using this http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/utility-external/misc/c/sppaint3d
to place and paint instances.
I'm curious, what if each placed instance was parented to a hair follicle or something, and the animation could be offset on that.
Or place all the instances, and add softbody/turbulence after,.. i've seen a lattice def work on a vray/maya proxy.

bigbossfr
08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks Deex
You mean reimport a second or third and offset each differently? I'd kinda like to keep them instances as there will be a lot of them.

Yes. You can't set different offset on multiple instances.
You must to have a "new" geometry to have a new offset.

Or place all the instances, and add softbody/turbulence after,.. i've seen a lattice def work on a vray/maya proxy.

Normally, you can't deform a proxy. Proxy is a geometry "ready to render".
You must to deform the geometry before to create your proxy.

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2011, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.