PDA

View Full Version : Camera Setup

nfrancisj
08-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Hi.

I want to combine real video footage with cg elements. The real footage is shot and loaded into maya as image plane. Now I want set up the camera (manually) and create some rough 3D surroundings. I noted down a couple of camera parameters during the shooting and tried to feed them into Maya, but it doesn't work out. If I enter the focal length the resulting field of view is way too big. I'm not too familiar with the relations between focal length, film gate, field of view etc. How do you tune a camera in maya to match a real camera? How should I tune a camera to match these settings?

Here's what I got:

I used a still iPhone as a test.

The camera uses a 1/3.2" CCD
exif/0/Make = Apple.
exif/0/Model = iPhone 4.
exif/2/PixelXDimension = 2592.
exif/2/PixelYDimension = 1936.
exif/2/ApertureValue = 4281/1441.
exif/2/FocalLength = 77/20

Btw: Positioning is not an issue, only the perspective wont work out.

thanks a lot!

Bitter
08-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah, that might get complicated, especially since there will be distortion on it.

Might be easier if you corrected the lens distortion first and then tried again.

Unless someone has a better alternative (highly possible). That's usually how it works, and then it is re-distorted again (in post or through a lens shader) and comped.

nfrancisj
08-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Thankyou for responding :)

at the moment distortion isn't an issue. There is very very little distortion. The main issue is matching the perspective. Once I have the perspective correct, I can then move the camera into position. by the way I am testing on a still image and I have the measurements of the object in my pic.

Thanks Again :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2011, 10:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.