PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Fog Monster shot!

blankslatejoe
11-04-2003, 04:31 AM
Hey guys, was working on this for a class, and then got carried away in a binge modeling session. I was only envisioning this as the 10 second shot presented; which I'll probably trim to 3-4 seconds if I use it in my demoreel.

C&C welcome, although I'm pretty much done with this for now (maybe I'll rework in the future). I'm still on a novice level, and this is my first real detailed/realistic animated shot.

11 MB quicktime MOV (http://www.30lives.com/media/pa_snake.mov)

Thanks!!

blankslatejoe
11-04-2003, 04:58 AM
Here's a frame render, although I didn't go with this sepia look in the final (maybe I'll change it back later...)

http://www.30lives.com/wips/11_03_03g.jpg

Agent 47
11-07-2003, 03:38 AM
Very creepy. I love creepy.

The anim reminds me of Stephen King's The Mist and the Silent Hill video games.

I think a major ingredient to creepiness(sp?) is subtlety.

I'd make the monster farther back in the mist.

Reasons:

1. To make the viewer second guess him/herself the instant the monster starts moving.

2. To dumb-down the obvious segmentation of the serpent's body.

just my dos coins.

Again I love the feel!

:applause:

colintheys
11-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Hi,

I really like the shop model! I agree that you might want to move the monster back a little. My only other comment (and this is sort of unfair, because I don't know how I'd do it) is that you should put some sort of secondary movement onto the tail of the monster as it glides away. Right now it looks a little like it's gliding on a rail. Nice work though. If you're a novice, I guess that makes me a.... I don't want to think about it.... :)

blankslatejoe
11-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Hey thanks guys!
Agent- glad you caught the mist reference.. I first got that story as a book on tape as a twelve year old and haven't read/listened to it since, but for some reason thought about it recently and what it would look like visually. The Mist was my direct inspiration for this shot; glad someone else recognized it!!

Good idea about the pushing the monster back. I suppose I could thicken the fog up also, to achieve the same effect but have a second where it "comes out of the fog" still... I dunno, I'll have to tinker with it.

Good point about using it to hide the segmentation... that would be very clever of me to do...

colintheys- yeah... A few of my buddies commented on the tail as well... I haven't figured out how to put that in. The serpent looks like it's "on a rail" because it sort of does follow an invisible rail. I tried a little to get the tail to swish a little, but just couldn't get it to be both dependent on the rail and independent of it at the same time...

But then again, I'm still tinkering, so maybe I'll get it by my next project.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the comments!

Agent 47
11-08-2003, 10:41 PM
You have got to be shitting me. I received the audiobook of Mist when I was about 11 or 12 from my grandma. Honest-to-God.

What a trip. Anyhow, great anim. I love the whole feel and the Mist was the first thing I thought of.

:beer:

blankslatejoe
11-09-2003, 03:45 AM
yeah, man, I didn't think there was anyone else out there who even knew about it..

I can only remember a few distinct scenes, but one of them was a bunch of people huddled in a convienece store or something and seeing a snake-thing-monster graze by the window. Wow... the memories.... anyway, that was my goal for this shot, or something a kin to it.

You dont know how glad I invoked Mist right away... that's so cool...it was exactly what I was going for. Before this project, I hadn't even thought of the Mist myself for about four or five years.

maybe it's time to get a copy and feel the nostalgia.

anyway, thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.