PDA

View Full Version : How to make a distorted reflection in skyscraper's glass?

Defonten
08-26-2011, 04:26 PM
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/354772/354772,1284493142,1/stock-photo-distorted-reflection-of-blue-sky-clouds-and-little-house-in-skyscraper-windows-60998335.jpg

The problem for me is how to make a skyscraper's windows in Maya on a shading level, without modeling windows one by one. I do that without any problem in Max by just using a couple of texture maps wich I made in Photoshop. One of which is a simple b\w grid that defines windows, and the other is the same grid (window blocks) but with slight greyscale gradient on'em to make windows reflect at various angles like the real windows do (cos' they are never aligned perfectly side by side). Well, in Max - I apply these maps to bump map slot and everything looks great. Reflection is distorted correctly - exactly the way I drew it in Photoshop. But how to achieve the same effect in Maya? Thanks in advance!

chafouin
08-26-2011, 07:04 PM
It should work exactly the same way as in 3dsmax. I actually gave it a quick try, and it does work, maybe you have a problem somewhere.

Defonten
08-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Oh, no problem already )) I achieved desired effect by using layred shader and checker node )

Can you post your result as a printscreen though? In case I've chosen the most inconvinient way. Thanks!

InfernalDarkness
08-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I always just apply a soft, not-noisy fractal node to my window glass's bump. Really low strength, too. This gives the warp and woof you see in big glass structure, quickly and painlessly. Perhaps two test-renders to get it right, of course, but it works very well.

Defonten
08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
http://defonten.az/ddd.jpg

Thanks guys. That's what I ended up with. May be this is not the best way of doing it. But at least it works.

2InfernalDarkness

I tried that too, but the problem is that I got an undesired bumpy edge around windows which looked really wrong. I'll give it another try though, I must have misssed something. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.