PDA

View Full Version : Edge modeling??

MRAY
11-04-2003, 02:34 AM
hey all!

i was reading this article about Bay Raitt on the creation of Gollum
and he talks about "edge modeling".

My question is what is "egde modeling"?

Would it be the extrude edged method (poly by poly)?

Thanks!

you can read the arcticle here-
www.lowend.se/3d_festival_notes/3df_03_facialanimation.html

Electrofirma
11-04-2003, 05:08 AM
No, I believe he's refering to edgeloops. Rather than focusing on vertices to define the shape, he focuses on edgeloops to define the flow of how the shape will move.

It is not so much a way of modelling, as it is a way to think about how a mesh should be constructed for a given purpose.

EDIT: For those too lazy to dig for it :) , here's the quote...There is basically two ways of modelling. Modelling by vertex and modelling by edge.
Modelling by vertex is basically fine for sculpting a character that looks like a sculpture, but when the character is in motion it doesnít really work. The skinning doesnít work in many cases because itís basically not enough vertices in the cage.
So modelling with edge for facial animation is the way to go since it works when itís in motion.

For further information on edgeloops check out the Topology Research (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38469) thread.

MRAY
11-08-2003, 03:33 AM
Thanks!

Yeah i know about edge loops :)
but i had never heard it called "edge modeling".

Silly me :P

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.